Last updated on
Never Think About What to Make for Dinner for the Next Two Months with My
Lazy Cooking Bundle
This easy white bean chicken chili is the best when you’re craving a simple Tex-Mex meal. Shredded chicken, white beans, onion, jalapeno, chilies, and seasonings simmer together to produce a tasty meal in less than 30 minutes.
WHITE BEAN CHILI INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 minced jalapeno
- 2 4-ounce cans of fire-roasted green chilies , diced
- 2 cups of rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 2 15-ounce cans of white beans, drained and rinsed
- 32-ounce box of chicken broth
- 2 cups of water
- salt and pepper to your liking
- pinch of celery salt
- lime juice from half of a lime
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Beans: You can use cannellini beans, navy beans, Northern beans, pinto beans, or even garbanzo beans in this recipe. I threw in kidney beans once as well!
Meat: I love using rotisserie chicken for this recipe because it makes it so quick and easy. You could also cook and shred chicken breasts or make it with shredded turkey. Try this Instant Pot turkey breast. recipe to cook it fast.
Vegetarian: You could completely omit the chicken and add more beans to make this a vegetarian recipe.
Spicy: You can kick up the heat by leaving the seeds in your jalapenos and/or adding more jalapenos to the recipe. I’ve also added a little creamy salsa verde to this recipe to give it a little more heat. You could also add in a dash of crushed red pepper flakes.
Add-Ins: You could also add corn to this recipe. Just add some frozen corn towards the end of cooking. You could also add chopped green peppers.
Toppings: You can serve in bowls topped with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, shredded pepper jack cheese, avocado, tomatoes, cilantro, or parsley. You could also top with sliced jalapenos if you’d like an extra kick!
HOW TO MAKE THIS WHITE BEAN CHILI RECIPE
STEP ONE: Saute onion and garlic in olive oil in a large pot on medium heat, when the onions are soft add the minced jalapenos and stir for about 1 minute.
STEP TWO: Add green chilies with 1 cup chicken broth and 2 cups chicken to the pot, stir until chicken is warmed.
STEP THREE: Pour in remaining chicken broth and water, then add white beans.
STEP FOUR: Season with salt, pepper, and pinch of celery salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
PRO TIP: If you’re serving a crowd, you could keep this warm in your crockpot!
IN THE FRIDGE: If you have any leftovers, you can store them in a container in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat bowls in the microwave or pop back on the stove to heat through before serving.
IN THE FREEZER: You can store this white bean chicken chili in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to three months. Just put it into the fridge the night before serving to thaw out and then reheat on the stove until warm. You may need to add some additional water or broth to thin it out when reheating.
Simple and delicious, you’ll love how easy it is to make this hearty and authentic white bean chicken chili from scratch. Staple ingredients like onion, garlic, jalapeno, and beans are simmered with shredded chicken and spices for the perfect fast dinner that the entire family will love.
More Recipes You’ll Love
White Bean Chicken Chili
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno minced, with or without seeds
- 8 ounce fire-roasted green chilies diced
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken shredded
- 30 ounce white beans drained and rinsed
- 32 ounce chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper to your liking
- pinch celery salt
- squeeze lime juice from half of a lime
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil in a large pot on medium heat, when the onions are soft add the minced jalapenos and stir for about 1 minute.
- Add green chilis with 1 cup chicken broth and 2 cups chicken to the pot. Stir until the chicken is warmed. Pour in the remaining chicken broth and water, then add white beans.
- Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of celery salt Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve in bowls and top with sour cream, avocado, and cilantro.