Never Think About What to Make for Dinner for the Next Two Months with My Lazy Cooking Bundle
Traditional homemade bagels are delicious, but incredibly time consuming to make with yeast, proofing, and boiling in water before baking! These 2 ingredient bagels are just as tasty, but so much simpler and ready in 40 minutes.
INGREDIENTS for 2 ingredient bagels
You will need:
- 2 cups of self-rising flour, do not substitute for all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of Greek yogurt, I use 2% Fage
- Optional: egg wash, 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Optional: melted butter, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, everything but the gael seasoning, dried onion flakes, mini chocolate chips, etc.
SUBSTITUTIONS and ADDITIONS
Self-Rising Flour: If you only have all-purpose flour, then you can convert it to self-rising by mixing it with three teaspoons of baking powder and a half teaspoon of salt.
Greek Yogurt: We use 2% fat Greek yogurt for this recipe, but to make the Weight Watchers version of these 2 ingredient bagels you should use fat-free Greek yogurt. A vegan Greek yoghurt would also work if you prefer to avoid dairy.
Egg White: To give your bagels a bakery feel, consider brushing the tops with a beaten egg white before baking.
Seasonings: To these plain bagels, you can add any toppings you like such as ‘Everything But The Bagel Seasoning’, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried onion flakes, mini chocolate chips, or grated cheese.
HOW TO MAKE THIS 2 INGREDIENT BAGELs RECIPE
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
STEP TWO: Pour the flour into a mound on a cutting board or the clean countertop. Make a well in the center of the flour and scoop the yogurt into it.
STEP THREE: Use your hands to scoop flour from the outside into the center and knead together until it forms a dough. Continue to knead until the dough is smooth, stretchy, and no longer sticky.
PRO TIP: If your dough is too sticky, add a little more flour.
STEP FOUR: Slice the ball of dough into eight equally-sized pieces.
STEP FIVE: Roll each piece of dough into a log and loop the two ends together to make a bagel shape. Place the bagels onto the lined baking sheet.
PRO TIP: To give your bagels a professional look, consider brushing them with egg white before baking.
STEP SIX: Bake for 15 minutes. Then, turn the oven temperature up to 500°F and bake for three to five minutes more, until they are browned on top.
PRO TIP: If you’re adding seasoning to your bagels, add them before the second bake and use a little melted butter to help them stick if necessary.
AT ROOM TEMPERATURE: 2 ingredient bagels made with Greek yogurt can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to three days.
IN THE FREEZER: You can freeze 2 ingredient bagels for up to three months. Wrap each bagel tightly with foil and place them in a freezer bag. Defrost before slicing and toasting.
Homemade 2 ingredient dough bagels are so easy to make, especially when compared to traditional bagels. You can top your bagels with so many different things, but our favorite has to be cream cheese and lox.
more recipes you’ll love
2 Ingredient Bagels
- 2 cup self-rising flour do not substitute for all-purpose flour
- 2 cup greek yogurt I use 2% Fage
- egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water) optional
- melted butter, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, everything but the gael seasoning, dried onion flakes, mini chocolate chips, etc. optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mound flour on clean countertop or cutting board.
- Scoop yogurt into center of flour.
- Use your hands to scoop flour from the outside into the inside of the mound, kneading it together with the yogurt until it forms a dough.
- Continue kneading the dough until it has some elasticity, can be stretched, and is somewhat smooth and no longer sticky.
- Form a ball with the dough and slice into 8 separate pieces.
- Roll each piece into a log and loop the two ends together to form the bagels.
- Place bagels on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Turn oven temperature up to 500°F and continue baking bagels until they are browned on top, about 3 to 5 minutes. Optional: Brush tops and sides of bagels with an egg wash before initial baking.
- Optional: After bagels have baked for the first 15 minutes, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with desired toppings. Proceed baking at 500°F for 3 to 5 minutes until the tops and/or the toppings of the bagels have browned.