Last updated on
Table of Contents
Traditional homemade bagels are delicious, but incredibly time consuming to make with yeast, proofing, and boiling in water before baking! These 2 ingredient bagels are just as tasty, but so much simpler and ready in 40 minutes.
Bagels are so versatile, you can serve them for breakfast, lunch, or as a snack. For more tempting breakfast ideas, take a look at our cinnamon rolls, sausage breakfast casserole or these genius sheet pan pancakes.
2 INGREDIENT BAGELS INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- 2 cups self-rising flour, do not substitute for all-purpose flour
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt, I use 2% Fage
- Optional: egg wash, 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Optional: melted butter, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, Everything Bagel Seasoning, dried onion flakes, mini chocolate chips, etc.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Self-Rising Flour: If you only have all-purpose flour, then you can convert it to self-rising flour by mixing the regular flour with three teaspoons of baking powder and a half teaspoon of salt.
Greek Yogurt: We use 2% fat Greek yogurt for this recipe, but to make these Weight Watchers bagels, you should use nonfat Greek yogurt. A vegan Greek yogurt would also work if you prefer to avoid dairy.
Egg White: To give your delicious bagels a bakery feel, consider brushing the tops with a beaten egg white before baking.
Seasonings: For different flavors, you can add any of your favorite toppings such as our Everything Bagel Seasoning, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried onion flakes, mini chocolate chips, cinnamon sugar or grated cheese.
HOW TO MAKE THIS 2 INGREDIENT BAGELS RECIPE
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
STEP TWO: Pour the flour into a mound on a cutting board or the clean countertop. Make a well in the center of the flour and scoop the yogurt into it.
STEP THREE: Use your hands to scoop flour from the outside into the center and knead together until it a dough forms. Continue to knead until the dough is smooth, stretchy, and no longer sticky.
PRO TIP: If your bagel dough is too sticky, add a little more flour.
STEP FOUR: Slice the dough ball into eight equal pieces.
STEP FIVE: Roll each piece of dough into a log and loop the two ends together to make a bagel shape. Place the bagels onto the lined baking sheet.
PRO TIP: To give your bagels a professional look, consider brushing them with egg white before baking.
STEP SIX: Bake for 15 minutes. Then, turn the oven temperature up to 500°F and bake for three to five minutes more, until they are golden brown on top.
PRO TIP: If you’re adding seasoning to your bagels, add them before the second bake and use a little melted butter to help them stick if necessary.
HOW TO SERVE
AT ROOM TEMPERATURE: 2 ingredient bagels made with Greek yogurt can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to three days.
IN THE FREEZER: You can freeze 2-ingredient bagels for up to three months. Wrap each bagel tightly with foil and place them in a freezer bag. Defrost before slicing and toasting.
Homemade two-ingredient dough bagels are so easy to make, especially when compared to traditional bagels. You can top your bagels with so many different things, but our favorite way has to be cream cheese and lox.
You can freeze this easy bagel recipe. Wrap them individually in foil and freeze. Let them thaw before you cut them open.
This easy homemade bagel recipe doesn’t have eggs, just flour and Greek yogurt.
You will bake these bagels for about 17-18 minutes.
You can brush the bagels with an egg wash and sprinkle with poppy seeds, sesame seeds or “Everything but the Bagel” seasoning.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
2 Ingredient Bagels
- 2 cup self-rising flour do not substitute for all-purpose flour
- 2 cup greek yogurt I use 2% Fage
- egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water) optional
- melted butter, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, everything but the bagel seasoning, dried onion flakes, mini chocolate chips, etc. optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mound flour on clean countertop or cutting board.
- Scoop yogurt into center of flour.
- Use your hands to scoop flour from the outside into the inside of the mound, kneading it together with the yogurt until it forms a dough.
- Continue kneading the dough until it has some elasticity, can be stretched, and is somewhat smooth and no longer sticky.
- Form a ball with the dough and slice into 8 separate pieces.
- Roll each piece into a log and loop the two ends together to form the bagels.
- Place bagels on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Turn oven temperature up to 500°F and continue baking bagels until they are browned on top, about 3 to 5 minutes. Optional: Brush tops and sides of bagels with an egg wash before initial baking.
- Optional: After bagels have baked for the first 15 minutes, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with desired toppings. Proceed baking at 500°F for 3 to 5 minutes until the tops and/or the toppings of the bagels have browned.