October 11, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
These 2 ingredient bagels are just as tasty as traditional homemade bagels, but so much simpler to make and ready in 40 minutes. Soft and fresh, they are perfect topped with peanut butter, jam, or cream cheese to start your day.
2 Ingredient Bagels Ingredients
Our 2-ingredient bagels recipe is made with only self-rising flour and plain Greek yogurt, resulting in soft, slightly tangy bagels.
You can add your favorite toppings and seasonings, such as sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or chocolate chips, for endless flavor variations.
- 2 cups of self-rising flour; do not substitute for all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of plain Greek yogurt, I use 2% Fage
- Optional: egg wash, 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Optional: melted butter, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, everything bagel seasoning, dried onion flakes, mini chocolate chips, etc.
Substitutions And Additions
SELF-RISING FLOUR: If you only have all-purpose flour, then you can convert it to self-rising flour by mixing the regular flour with three teaspoons of baking powder and a half teaspoon of salt.
GREEK YOGURT: We use 2% fat Greek yogurt for this recipe, but to make these into Weight Watchers bagels, you should use nonfat Greek yogurt.
A vegan Greek yogurt would also work if you prefer to avoid dairy.
EGG WHITES: To give your delicious bagels a bakery feel, consider brushing the tops with a beaten egg white wash before baking.
SEASONINGS: For different flavors, you can add any of your favorite toppings, such as our everything bagel seasoning, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried onion flakes, mini chocolate chips, cinnamon sugar, or grated cheese.
How To Make This 2 Ingredient Bagels Recipe
Our step-by-step instructions will show you how to make these bagels with two simple ingredients.
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
STEP TWO: Pour the flour into a mound on a cutting board or the clean countertop. Make a well in the center of the flour and scoop the yogurt into it.
STEP THREE: Use your hands to scoop flour from the outside into the center and knead together until it a dough forms.
Continue to knead until the dough is smooth, stretchy, and no longer sticky.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
If your bagel dough is too sticky, add a little more flour.
STEP FOUR: Slice the dough ball into eight equal pieces.
STEP FIVE: Roll each piece of dough into a log and loop the two ends together to make a bagel shape. Place the bagels onto the lined baking sheet.
To give your bagels a professional look, consider brushing them with an egg white wash before baking.
STEP SIX: Bake for 15 minutes. Then, turn the oven temperature up to 500°F and bake for three to five minutes more until they are golden brown on top.
If you’re adding seasoning to your bagels, add them before the second bake and use a little melted butter to help them stick if necessary.
How To Serve
Complement your two-ingredient bagels with a steaming cup of coffee for a classic breakfast combo.
For a refreshing twist, opt for a fruit-infused iced tea or a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice.
Whether you’re planning to make these ahead or have leftover bagels, here’s what you need to know:
MAKE AHEAD: If you’re planning ahead or simply want to streamline your mornings, you can prepare the bagel dough in advance.
After kneading the dough and shaping your bagels, cover them tightly with plastic wrap and place them in the refrigerator overnight.
This slow rise in the fridge allows the flavors to develop even further. The next morning, all you have to do is bake them fresh, and you’ll have warm bagels ready to enjoy.
AT ROOM TEMPERATURE: Our 2 ingredient bagels made with Greek yogurt can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to three days.
IN THE FREEZER: You can freeze 2-ingredient bagels for up to three months. Wrap each bagel tightly with foil and place them in a freezer bag. Defrost before slicing and toasting.
Why We Love This Recipe
SIMPLICITY AT ITS BEST: With just two basic ingredients, self-rising flour and Greek yogurt, this recipe is refreshingly simple. It proves that you don’t need a long list of ingredients to create delicious homemade bagels.
QUICK AND CONVENIENT: From start to finish, making these bagels is a breeze. You can go from mixing the dough to enjoying a fresh bagel in about half an hour, making it a perfect choice for busy mornings or impromptu cravings.
ENDLESS CUSTOMIZATION: While the base recipe is straightforward, it’s incredibly versatile. You can personalize your bagels by adding various toppings, seasonings, or mix-ins like sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or even chocolate chips.
Homemade two-ingredient dough bagels are so easy to make, especially when compared to traditional bagels. You can top your bagels with so many different things, but our favorite way has to be cream cheese and lox.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can freeze this easy bagel recipe. Wrap them individually in foil and freeze. Let them thaw before you cut them open.
This easy homemade bagel recipe doesn’t have eggs, just flour and Greek yogurt.
You will bake these bagels for about 17 to 18 minutes.
You can brush the bagels with an egg wash and sprinkle with poppy seeds, sesame seeds, or “Everything but the Bagel” seasoning.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Biscuits and Gravy Breakfast Casserole
- French Toast Casserole
- Country Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
- Omelet in a Hole
- Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- Mini Pancakes
- Sticky Sesame Cauliflower
- Sausage Breakfast Casserole
2 Ingredient Bagels
- 2 cups self-rising flour, do not substitute for all-purpose flour
- 2 cups greek yogurt, I use 2% Fage
- egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water) optional
- melted butter, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, everything but the bagel seasoning, dried onion flakes, mini chocolate chips, etc. optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mound the flour on a clean countertop or cutting board.
- Scoop the yogurt into the center of the flour.
- Use your hands to scoop flour from the outside into the inside of the mound, kneading it together with the yogurt until it forms a dough.
- Continue kneading the dough until it has some elasticity, can be stretched, and is somewhat smooth and no longer sticky.
- Form a ball with the dough and slice into 8 separate pieces.
- Roll each piece into a log and loop the two ends together to form the bagels.
- Place bagels on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Turn oven temperature up to 500°F and continue baking bagels until they are browned on top, about 3 to 5 minutes. Optional: Brush tops and sides of bagels with an egg wash before the initial baking.
- Optional: After bagels have baked for the first 15 minutes, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with desired toppings before proceeding with the 3 to 5 minute bake at 500°F.
- If your bagel dough is too sticky when you are combining the ingredients, add a little more flour.
- Baked bagels can be sliced open, toasted, and topped with cream cheese or whatever spread you prefer on your bagels.