October 24, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Take your bagels from plain to sensationally savory with a dash of our everything bagel seasoning recipe. If you can’t get enough of this popular spice mix, you can now make it at home with a handful of simple ingredients and five minutes of your time.
Everything Bagel Seasoning Recipe Ingredients
The blend of toasted white and black sesame seeds in this bagel seasoning provides nutty richness, while poppy seeds offer a satisfying crunch.
Dried minced onion and garlic infuse savory depth, and coarse sea salt ties it all together, creating a medley of flavors that taste just like an everything bagel.
- 3 tablespoons of white sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- 3 tablespoons of black sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- 2 tablespoons of poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons of dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons of dried minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of coarse sea salt
Substitutions And Additions
SALT: You can use sea salt flakes in place of coarse sea salt if that is what you prefer.
You can also substitute coarse kosher salt for coarse sea salt if you cannot find it in your local grocery stores.
How To Make This Everything Bagel Seasoning Recipe
Toasting the sesame seeds brings out their nutty flavor. Once this step is finished, you will mix all of the seasonings together to create this flavorful spice blend.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
This bagel seasoning blend can easily be halved or doubled according to your needs.
STEP ONE: In a small, dry (no added oil) skillet, on medium-low heat, add the white and black sesame seeds.
While constantly moving the seeds around, toast the seeds for 1 to 2 minutes, being careful not to burn them.
You can skip the toasting of your sesame seeds if you want. Toasting the seeds adds a great flavor but can be omitted and the seasoning blend will still be tasty.
STEP TWO: Add the toasted sesame seeds to a small bowl.
You can use a 2-cup glass measuring cup with a pour spout to mix this seasoning blend in. This makes it easier to pour into your storage container (½ pint mason jar) after mixing the spices together.
STEP THREE: Add the poppy seeds, dried onion, dried garlic, and salt to the bowl with the sesame seeds.
STEP FOUR: Mix the ingredients together.
STEP FIVE: Transfer the seasoning blend to a small mason jar with a tight-fitting lid.
How To Serve
Of course, our homemade bagels are perfect for adding this everything but the bagel seasoning.
What about a completely different way to use this yummy spice. Our everything bagel pasta is just the recipe for you!
A sprinkle on a salad or on top of popcorn takes them to the next level. Roasted vegetables, sweet potatoes, and baked potatoes taste superb with a dash of this homemade seasoning as well.
Adding a sprinkle to the edge of your pizza dough is heavenly.
The sky really is the limit for the best everything bagel seasoning!
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES
IN THE PANTRY: This everything bagel spice blend can be stored in the pantry at room temperature, in a sealed jar or airtight container, for up to one year.
The savory flavor of everything bagels seems to be all the rage now, and so many stores carry the magical everything bagel seasoning mix. Now you can make a batch of your own seasoning at home that is even tastier than the store brands and a fraction of the cost. Sprinkle it on top of cream cheese on your favorite bagel.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you can’t find or don’t want to buy black sesame seeds, you can substitute white ones without a change in flavor.
You’ll want to try to find dried minced garlic or garlic flakes and dried minced onion or onion flakes for this recipe. Garlic powder, garlic salt, or onion powder won’t give you quite the same flavor.
This seasoning mix will last up to a year at room temperature, and I am betting you will love it so much that it won’t last long enough even to have to worry about it going bad.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Pizza Casserole with Biscuits
- Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Cowboy Pasta Salad
- Popcorn Chicken
- Taco Pasta Salad
- Caesar Pasta Salad
- Caesar Salad
- Pea Salad
- Greek Pasta Salad
- 5 Cup Salad
Everything Bagel Seasoning Recipe
- 3 tablespoons white sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- 3 tablespoons black sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons onion, dried minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, dried minced
- 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- In a small, dry (no added oil) skillet, on medium-low heat, add the white and black sesame seeds. While constantly moving the seeds around, toast the seeds for 1 to 2 minutes being careful not to burn them.
- Add the toasted sesame seeds to a small bowl.
- Add the poppy seeds, onion, garlic, and sea salt to the bowl with the sesame seeds. Mix well.
- Transfer the seasoning blend to a jar with a tight fitting lid.
- You can skip the toasting of your sesame seeds if you want. Toasting the seeds adds a great flavor but can be omitted and the seasoning blend will still be tasty.
- You can use a 2 cup glass measure cup with a pour spout to mix this seasoning blend in. This makes it easier to pour into your storage container (½ pint mason jar) after you mix the spices together.
- You can substitute coarse kosher salt for the coarse sea salt if you are unable to find the sea salt in your local grocer.