November 4, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Our 5 cup salad is named perfectly since you only need five ingredients, each measuring one cup, to make this simple and delicious salad recipe. Colorful pineapple, mandarin oranges, and maraschino cherries are mixed with mini marshmallows and a simple sour cream dressing to create this creamy fruit salad.
5 Cup Salad Ingredients
Our 5 cup salad is a delightful combination of creamy goodness and refreshing fruit flavors that is sure to satisfy your taste buds.
This classic salad recipe includes a medley of pineapple, mandarin oranges, sour cream, cherries, and miniature marshmallows that yield a harmonious flavor and texture.
The sweet fruitiness of the pineapple and mandarin oranges blend flawlessly with the creaminess of the sour cream to create this irresistible salad.
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 cup of roughly chopped pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 cup of mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup of drained and halved maraschino cherries, no stems
- 1 cup of miniature marshmallows
Substitutions And Additions
COCONUT: You can substitute sweetened coconut flakes for the cherries.
NUTS: Add nuts for an added crunch in this classic recipe.
PINEAPPLE: You can substitute drained pineapple tidbits or drained crushed pineapple for the pineapple chunks.
MARSHMALLOWS: You can substitute the multicolored miniature marshmallows for the plain miniature marshmallows.
SOUR CREAM: Greek yogurt is a popular choice as a substitute for sour cream, and it will work well in this recipe as well.
TOPPING: Add a scoop of Cool Whip on top for an extra sweet treat in this yummy fruit salad.
How To Make This 5 Cup Salad Recipe
I’m not sure you can find a salad that is easier to make than this 5 cup salad. Everything comes together quickly in the bowl and is ready in no time.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
This easy five cup salad recipe can be made a day ahead and kept in the fridge until you are ready to serve it. This gives it time to allow all the flavors to mingle together.
STEP ONE: Add the sour cream to a medium-sized mixing bowl, and whisk to remove any lumps.
STEP TWO: Fold in the pineapple, mandarin oranges, cherries, and mini marshmallows just until combined.
Stir the fruit together carefully as you don’t want to break the pieces of fruit up in the salad.
STEP THREE: Cover and chill in the refrigerator for two hours. Serve while cold.
Don’t skip the chilling step. This salad needs time for all the flavors to blend together to make it even tastier.
How To Serve This Sour Cream Fruit Salad
Enjoy this dessert salad either as a side dish or dessert. It’s the perfect recipe to bring to a family gathering or serve on a special occasion.
Storing This Fruit Salad With Marshmallows
Enjoy this creamy salad within a few days of making it for the best results.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
IN THE FREEZER: We do not recommend freezing this salad as the creamy texture will change, and the fruit will become mushy once thawed.
This 5 cup salad is packed with sweet ingredients smothered in a creamy dressing. Your whole family will love the way this simple fruit salad has been dressed up with the fun marshmallows and tangy sour cream.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
If you would like to include additional fruit in this 5-cup fruit salad recipe, you can change it up. Just try to stick to the one cup measurement for each of the ingredients.
This recipe is actually better made ahead of time so that it has time to sit in the fridge and allow all the flavors to mingle.
You can keep this salad in the fridge for up to three days. We don’t recommend freezing the salad as the fruit will become mushy once thawed.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Snickers Salad
- Grape Salad
- Jello Salad
- Cranberry Salad
- Big Mac Salad
- Caesar Salad
- Broccoli Salad
- Bowtie Pasta Salad
- Layered Taco Salad
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Salad
- Chicken Salad
- Caesar Pasta Salad
- Creamy Pasta Salad
- Greek Pasta Salad
5 Cup Salad
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup roughly chopped pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 cup mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup drained and halved maraschino cherries, no stems
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- Add the sour cream to a medium-sized mixing bowl, and whisk to remove any lumps.
- Fold in the pineapple, mandarin oranges, cherries and miniature marshmallows just until combined.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Serve while cold.
- This easy five cup salad recipe can be made a day ahead and kept in the fridge until you are ready to serve it. This gives it time to allow all the flavors to mingle together.
- Stir the fruit together carefully as you don’t want to break the pieces of fruit up in the salad.
- Don’t skip the chilling step. This salad needs time for all the flavors to blend together to make it even tastier.