November 7, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
There isn’t anything better than coming home to this warm, delicious ultimate chicken casserole waiting for you. With layers of tender chicken and noodles smothered in sauce and ooey-gooey cheese, it’s sure to become a family favorite.
WHAT COMMENTERS SAY ABOUT THIS CHICKEN NOODLE CASSEROLE!
“Easy and tasty dinner.”– Joey
“Delicious! Easy peasy for a cold Florida winter night. 45 degrees is cold to us and we need a warm dish to warm our chilled bones.”– Jim
“Love love love this recipe! it’s what helped get me through my whole pregnancy.”-Abigail
“I’ll be making this tomorrow night! Keep the great recipes coming!”– Kay
Ultimate Chicken Egg Noodle Casserole Ingredients
This casserole features chicken breast combined with a velvety mixture of cream of chicken soup and half-and-half cream.
Sweet corn, diced onions, and mild cheddar cheese add contrasting flavors and textures, while crumbled bacon provides a smoky, salty note.
Seasoned with kosher salt and black pepper and topped with crispy French fried onions, this casserole offers a blend of creamy, savory, sweet, and crispy elements.
- 1 (26-ounce) can of cream of chicken soup
- 1½ cups of half-and-half cream
- 2½ cups of cooked, shredded chicken breast
- 2 cups of cooked wide egg noodles
- 1½ cups of frozen corn
- 1 cup of shredded mild cheddar cheese
- ½ cup of finely diced sweet yellow onion
- 6 strips cooked, crumbled bacon (½ cup)
- 1½ teaspoons of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of cracked black pepper
- 2 cups of French fried onions
You can use a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from your local grocery store in this recipe. This is a great time saver.
Substitutions And Additions
PASTA: You can substitute any shaped, cooked pasta for the egg noodles in this creamy chicken noodle casserole.
ONIONS: You can substitute a half cup of French-fried onions for the fresh diced yellow onion in this easy chicken casserole recipe.
CHICKEN: You can substitute shredded rotisserie chicken or cooked chicken thighs for shredded boneless chicken breasts.
Just make sure to chop the chicken into small pieces.
CHEESE: Any kind of shredded cheese will work in this ultimate chicken noodle casserole recipe.
Try mozzarella, Monterey Jack, or, for a bit of spice, Pepper Jack.
SOUP: You can change up the variety of soups you use in this weeknight dinner recipe. Try cream of mushroom soup as a great option.
How To Make This Ultimate Chicken Egg Noodle Casserole Recipe
Let’s get started assembling this hearty casserole with our step-by-step instructions below.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
You can make the casserole the night before. Store covered in the refrigerator, and do not add the French fried onions until right before baking.
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set it aside.
STEP TWO: Using a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cream of chicken soup and the half-and-half until smooth.
STEP THREE: Add the shredded chicken, cooked egg noodles, corn, shredded cheese, onion, bacon, kosher salt, and cracked pepper to the soup mixture.
Stir until well combined.
STEP FOUR: Pour the chicken mixture into the prepared pan.
STEP FIVE: Evenly sprinkle the French fried onions over the casserole.
STEP SIX: Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
Oven temperatures vary and may need to be recalibrated periodically to ensure they are accurate. Make sure to keep a close eye on your casserole as the suggested baking time approaches.
How To Serve
This comforting chicken noodle casserole is the perfect dinner idea that the whole family will love.
Transform the casserole into Tex-Mex tacos. Spoon the casserole onto warm tortillas, add some diced avocado, fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.
Casserole season is always a welcome time of the year for busy families.
MORE CASSEROLE RECIPES
Now that you’ve enjoyed your casserole, let’s talk about how to store any leftovers or prepare this dish ahead of time for convenience.
MAKE AHEAD: If you’re planning ahead, you can prepare the ultimate chicken casserole in advance.
Assemble it up to the point of baking, cover it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and refrigerate it for up to 24 hours.
When you’re ready to enjoy it, simply pop it in the oven as per the original recipe instructions.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store any leftovers of this creamy casserole in an airtight container for up to three days.
IN THE FREEZER: You can freeze the un-topped and unbaked casserole for up to two months.
Allow the casserole to thaw, top with the French-fried onions, and bake according to the instructions.
- OVEN: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Remove the casserole from the freezer and let it thaw in the fridge overnight. Once thawed, reheat it in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until it’s heated through and the top is golden and bubbly.
- MICROWAVE: If you’re in a hurry, you can use the microwave. Start by defrosting the casserole in the microwave on the defrost setting or at 50% power. Then, heat it in short intervals, stirring or checking between each interval until it’s heated to your desired temperature.
Why We Love This Recipe
CREAMY COMFORT: The creamy sauce, tender chicken, and cheesy goodness come together to create a heartwarming, indulgent dish that satisfies your cravings for comfort.
MAKE AHEAD FRIENDLY: You can prepare it in advance, saving you time on hectic days. Just assemble it, refrigerate it, and bake it when you’re ready. It’s a great option for meal prep.
FAMILY FAVORITE: The casserole is a hit with both kids and adults. Its kid-friendly flavors make it an excellent family dinner option.
Is there anything more comforting than a warm and cheesy casserole on a cold winter night? This ultimate chicken casserole is sure to please everyone at the dinner table (make sure you try our popular chicken and rice casserole, too!).
Frequently Asked Questions
You will want to cook the egg noodles before adding them to the casserole.
This easy chicken noodle casserole can be made the night before and stored, covered in the fridge, until you are ready to bake it. Just wait to add the fried onions until right before baking.
This easy recipe can be frozen unbaked for up to two months. Thaw overnight in the fridge, and then add the onions and bake.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Creamy Garlic Pasta
- King Ranch Chicken
- Biscuit Pizza Bake
- Million Dollar Chicken Casserole
- Mexican Corn Salad
- Corn Salad
The Ultimate Chicken Casserole
- 26 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 1½ cups half-and-half
- 2½ cups chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 2 cups cooked wide egg noodles
- 1½ cups frozen corn
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sweet yellow onion, finely diced
- 6 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled (½ cup)
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 cups French fried onions
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set it aside.
- Using a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cream of chicken soup and the half-and-half until smooth.
- Add in the shredded chicken, egg noodles, corn, shredded cheese, onion, bacon, kosher salt and cracked pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the casserole into the prepared baking dish.
- Evenly sprinkle the French fried onions over the casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
- You can use a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from your local grocery store in this recipe. This is a great time saver.
- You can make the casserole the night before. Store covered in the refrigerator, and do not add the French fried onions until right before baking.
- French Onion Chicken
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Crockpot Crack Chicken
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- Cheeseburger Casserole
- Tatertot Casserole
- Chicken Casserole
- French Onion Pork Chops
- Twice Baked Potatoes
- Green Bean Casserole
- Crockpot Crack Chicken
- Sour Cream Noodle Bake
- Korean Noodles
- Peanut Noodles
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- Cheeseburger Soup
- Dorito Casserole
- Free Letter to Santa Template
- Simple Custard Pie Recipe
- Strawberry Shortcake Cheesecake Cake
- Dill Pickle Pasta Recipe
- Homemade Hamburger Casserole
- Corn Casserole
- Crack Chicken Chili
- Doritos Cheesy Chicken Casserole
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken
- Beef and Noodle Casserole
- Mongolian Beef and Noodles
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Baked Chicken Thighs
- Ritz Cracker Chicken Casserole