January 23, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
This cheeseburger soup recipe puts all of the juicy flavors of your favorite burger into soup form. It is easily made, and full of vegetables, seasonings, ground beef, and broth. If you’re a fan of hearty soup recipes, you are going to love this one. It’s sure to hit the spot on a cold winter day.
CHEESEBURGER SOUP INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- ¾ cup shredded carrots
- ¾ cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 large russet potatoes, about 3 cups, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes
- 3 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Vegetables: You can add in or take out vegetables as you like for this recipe. Feel free to remove the onions or celery if you don’t care for them. Green beans and diced tomatoes are two vegetables I like to add to this soup.
Cheese: You can add any type of shredded cheese to your soup. Colby jack, mozzarella, swiss, or Monterey jack are some of my go-to. Any cheese you like on a cheeseburger would be delicious in this soup.
Milk: I recommend to use 2% milk for this recipe. However, you could also use low fat or whole milk as well.
Sour Cream: It is best to use full-fat sour cream for this soup, as it gives it the most creamy consistency.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CHEESEBURGER SOUP RECIPE
STEP ONE: In a large frying pan, thoroughly cook ground beef. Drain fat and set aside for now.
STEP TWO: In a large 5-Quart pot with 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium-high heat, sauté onion, carrots, and diced celery with Italian seasoning, oregano, salt, and pepper until onions have softened about 2 to 3 minutes.
STEP THREE: Add beef, potatoes, and chicken broth to the pot. Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid, and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
STEP FOUR: In a separate small frying pan, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat and stir in flour until it starts to bubble. Then add this mixture to the soup, stirring well to mix.
STEP FIVE: Stir in cheese until fully melted.
STEP SIX: Add in milk and bring back to a simmer. Then stir in sour cream until well mixed.
STEP SEVEN: Remove from heat and serve hot.
TOPPINGS FOR CHEESEBURGER POTATO SOUP
Shredded cheese, crumbled bacon, and green onions would all be delicious toppings for your cheeseburger soup.
VARIATIONS FOR POTATO CHEESEBURGER SOUP
There are plenty of variations on our potato cheeseburger soup recipe that our readers love.
- Adding Velveeta Mexican cheese, Rotel diced tomatoes with green chiles, and even a dash of liquid smoke will make this soup even tastier.
- The celery and carrots can also be omitted if you prefer.
- Finally, cornstarch can be used in place of flour to thicken your soup.
Once you’ve mastered this recipe, be sure to try it out in casserole form with this Cheeseburger Casserole recipe.
And if you’re a burger fan, you will also love these easy to make, copycat White Castle Cheeseburger Sliders.
HOW TO STORE THIS RECIPE FOR CHEESEBURGER SOUP
IN THE FRIDGE: Store leftovers in the fridge in a sealed food storage container for 2 to 3 days. This soup will continue to thicken as it sits in the fridge.
IN THE FREEZER: Like many other soups this makes for a great freezer recipe, you can keep soup in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Another easy way to make this recipe is to combine all of the ingredients in a crockpot and let it cook on low for 4 hours, or until the potatoes are tender.
Don’t forget to finish this soup off with the perfect sides. I love to make a crisp, garden salad or side of bread for dipping, to go with my cheeseburger soup.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 3/4 cup carrots shredded
- 3/4 cup celery diced
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 large russet potatoes (about 3 cups) peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 3 cup chicken broth low sodium
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 1/2 cup milk 2%
- 1/4 cup sour cream full fat
- In a 12 inch frying pan, thoroughly cook ground beef. Drain fat and set aside for now.
- In a large 5-Quart pot with 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium-high heat, sauté onion, carrots, and diced celery with Italian seasoning, oregano, salt and pepper until onions have softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in beef, potatoes, and chicken broth to the pot. Reduce heat to low, cover with lid, and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- In a separate small frying pan, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter over medium high heat and stir in flour until it starts to bubble, 2 minutes. Then add this mixture to the soup stirring well to mix.
- Stir in cheese until fully melted.
- Add in milk and bring back to a simmer. Then stir in sour cream until well mixed.
- Remove from heat and serve hot.