October 24, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
This cheeseburger soup recipe puts all of the juicy flavors of your favorite burger into soup form. It is full of vegetables, seasonings, flavorful ground beef, and broth, and if you’re a fan of hearty soup recipes, you are going to love this one. It’s sure to hit the spot on a cold winter day.
Potato Cheeseburger Potato Soup Ingredients
Savor this comforting cheeseburger soup, that is created with a blend of flavorful ingredients.
This soup offers a delightful combination of classic cheeseburger flavors and the indulgence of a velvety, creamy soup.
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter, divided into 1 tablespoon and 3 tablespoons
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- ¾ cup of shredded carrots
- ¾ cup of diced celery
- 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- 3 large russet potatoes, about 3 cups, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes
- 3 cups of chicken broth, low sodium
- ¼ cup of all-purpose flour
- 4 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1½ cups of milk
- ¼ cup of sour cream
Substitutions And Additions
VEGETABLES: You can add in or take out vegetables as you like for this creamy cheesy soup recipe.
Feel free to remove the onions or celery if you don’t care for them. Green beans and diced tomatoes are two vegetables I like to add to this soup.
CHEESE: You can add any type of shredded cheese to your soup. Colby jack, mozzarella, swiss, pepper jack, or Monterey jack are some of my go-tos.
Any cheese you like on a cheeseburger would be delicious in this soup.
MILK: I recommend using 2% milk for this creamy soup recipe. However, you could also use low-fat or whole milk as well.
SOUR CREAM: It is best to use full-fat sour cream for this soup, as it gives it the most creamy consistency.
How To Make Potato Cheeseburger Soup
STEP ONE: In a large frying pan, thoroughly cook ground beef. Drain excess grease and set aside for now.
You’ll definitely want to drain the excess grease off the ground beef after cooking. You can make this step easier by using lean ground beef.
STEP TWO: In a large 5-quart pot with one tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat, sauté diced onion, carrots, and diced celery with the Italian seasoning, oregano, salt, and pepper until the onions have softened, about two to three minutes.
STEP THREE: Add the beef, potatoes, and chicken broth to the pot.
Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot with a lid, and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
STEP FOUR: In a separate small frying pan, melt the remaining three tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat and stir in the flour until it starts to bubble.
Then add this mixture to the soup, stirring well to mix.
STEP FIVE: Stir in the cheese until fully melted.
STEP SIX: Add milk and bring the soup back to a simmer. Then stir in the sour cream until well mixed.
STEP SEVEN: Remove from heat and serve hot.
How To Serve
Toppings For Cheeseburger Potato Soup
Shredded cheese, crispy bacon bits, and green onions would all be delicious toppings for this comforting soup recipe.
Variations For Cheeseburger Potato Soup
There are plenty of variations on our potato cheeseburger soup recipe that our readers love.
- Adding Velveeta Mexican cheese, Rotel diced tomatoes with green chiles, and even a dash of liquid smoke will make this soup even tastier.
- The celery and carrots can also be omitted if you prefer.
- Finally, cornstarch can be used in place of flour to thicken your soup.
Once you’ve mastered this easy cheeseburger soup recipe, be sure to try it out in casserole form with this cheeseburger casserole recipe.
And if you’re a burger fan, you will also love these easy-to-make, copycat White Castle cheeseburger sliders.
Here’s a quick guide on how to store this tasty soup.
MAKE AHEAD: Prepare the soup as directed and allow it to cool completely. Once cooled, transfer it to an airtight container.
It’s a great option for busy days when you want a delicious meal with minimal effort.
Simply store the container in the fridge or freezer as desired.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store leftovers in the fridge in a sealed food storage container for two to three days. This soup will continue to thicken as it sits in the fridge.
IN THE FREEZER: Like many other soups, this makes for a great freezer recipe; you can keep soup in an airtight container in the freezer for up to three months.
You could also freeze individual portions in freezer-safe containers to make it easy to reheat and serve for a quick lunch.
Another easy way to make this recipe is to combine all of the ingredients in a crockpot and let it cook on low for four hours, or until the potatoes are tender.
This creamy cheeseburger soup will be a huge hit for the whole family. Loaded with cheesy flavor, this soup is pure comfort food and the perfect addition to your menu during the cold winter months.
Frequently Asked Questions
This hearty soup recipe could be made in the slow cooker. Add in your browned beef and sauteed veggies with the remaining ingredients and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
This great recipe can be frozen in an airtight container for up to three months.
You could use any ground meat or even Italian sausage in this soup.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Cheeseburger Pie
- Hamburger Soup
- Homemade Tomato Soup
- Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Bacon Cheeseburger Sliders
- The Best Burger
- Taco Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Air Fryer Baked Potato
- Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes
- Stove Top Meatloaf
- Creamy Potato Salad
- Roast Beef Sliders
- Campfire Potatoes
- Crock Pot Swedish Meatballs
- Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- Velveeta Rotel Hamburger Dip
- How to Make Jasmine Fried Rice
- Easy Jello Strawberry Pie
- Popular Story Book Characters
- Pineapple Cool Whip Dessert
- Cheddar Cream Cheese Dip
- Cheeseburger Burrito
- Mashed Potato Casserole
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Funeral Potatoes
- Chicken Tortilla Soup Crock Pot
- Italian Chicken Recipe
- Beef Enchilada Recipe
- Crispy Honey Chicken
- White Chicken Enchilada Skillet
Recipe for Cheeseburger Soup
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided into 1 tablespoon and 3 tablespoons
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- ¾ cup carrots, shredded
- ¾ cup celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces (about 3 cups)
- 3 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1½ cups milk, 2%
- ¼ cup sour cream, full fat
- In a 12-inch frying pan, thoroughly cook the ground beef. Drain the fat and set aside for now.
- In a large 5-quart pot with 1 tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat, sauté the onion, carrots, and diced celery with the Italian seasoning, oregano, salt, and pepper until onions have softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the beef, potatoes, and chicken broth to the pot. Reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid, and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- In a separate small frying pan, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat and stir in the flour until it starts to bubble, 2 minutes. Then add this mixture to the soup, stirring well to mix.
- Stir in the cheese until fully melted.
- Add the milk and bring the soup back to a simmer. Then stir in sour cream until well mixed.
- Remove from heat and serve hot.
- You’ll definitely want to drain the excess grease off the ground beef after cooking. You can make this step easier by using lean ground beef.
- You could also freeze individual portions in freezer-safe containers to make it easy to reheat and serve for a quick lunch.