Table of Contents
Creamy Italian chicken with pasta is made quickly and easily in just one pot. This authentic recipe combines alfredo sauce, tender chicken, pasta, and plenty of cheese for a perfectly seasoned family dinner everyone will love.
Some of our other family favorite pasta recipes that you should check out for those busy weeknights include our Chicken Alfredo Bake, a great twist on chicken alfredo, and one of our family favorites, Chicken and Dumplings.
CREAMY ITALIAN CHICKEN WITH PASTA INGREDIENTS
- 2 (16-ounce) jars of Alfredo sauce, try our homemade Olive Garden Alfredo Sauce!
- 2 cups chicken broth, low-sodium
- 8 ounces of fettuccine noodles, uncooked
- 8 ounces of rotisserie chicken, cut into small pieces
- Grated parmesan cheese and parsley, for garnish
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 ounces cream cheese, optional
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
CHICKEN: If you have pre-cooked grilled chicken strips or boneless skinless chicken breasts or leftover chicken, you can easily use those in place of the rotisserie chicken.
CREAM CHEESE: Optionally, you can add a 4-ounce block of cream cheese to assist in making an even richer, creamier sauce. It thickens the cream sauce up quite a bit so add water as needed until you achieve your ideal sauce consistency.
PASTA: The classic choice to go with alfredo sauce is fettuccine, but there is no reason you can’t choose a different kind of pasta. Pick your favorite pasta such as penne, rotini, spaghetti or even egg noodles to mix with this creamy sauce. If you are able to find fresh homemade pasta, it would make this meal even more delicious. Just keep an eye on the cooking time depending on what the package directions say for the pasta shape you are using.
VEGETABLES: There is no reason you couldn’t add vegetables to this recipe. Onions, fresh spinach, fresh basil, red peppers or green bell pepper would be delicious mixed into the creamy pasta.
SPICE: If you like things a little spicy, add a dash of red pepper flakes into the pan with the sauce and broth.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CREAMY ITALIAN CHICKEN WITH PASTA RECIPE
STEP ONE: Place Alfredo sauce, chicken broth, and pasta in a 12-inch large skillet.
Want to make your own Alfredo sauce? It’s easier than you think! Here’s our Copycat Olive Garden Alfredo Sauce recipe!
STEP TWO: Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally to prevent pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Continue simmering until pasta is cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Al dente is the ideal consistency for pasta. The pasta will be tender and will still have a slightly firm texture when you bite into it.
STEP THREE: If adding in the cream cheese, stir in cream cheese until melted and combined.
If you would like to thin out the sauce a bit, add hot water to the pan and stir until the sauce is smooth.
STEP FOUR: Top with chicken, grated parmesan cheese, and chopped parsley.
STEP FIVE: Season with a little bit of salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
HOW TO SERVE
A Caesar side salad or green beans and garlic bread are classic side dishes for this creamy chicken pasta. This recipe is a great way to make the popular pasta dish in the comfort of your own home. Enjoy it on a busy weeknight or even make it for guests.
IN THE FRIDGE: This delicious Italian dish might not last too long on your dinner table, but if you manage to have leftovers, it’ll keep quite well in the fridge. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave or add ½ cup water and leftover pasta to a saucepan. Reheat until the sauce is smooth and heated through.
Your kids will think you ordered in takeout when you serve up this delectable, copycat Olive Garden chicken pasta recipe. Creamy Italian chicken pasta is a recipe your family will be delighted to sit down to. Filled with cheesy flavor and juicy chicken, and served with hearty pasta, not only is this dish mouthwatering, but it can be made with just one pot with only a handful of ingredients, no mess, no stress.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
To test your pasta for al dente, take a bite of the pasta a minute or two before the package instructions indicate it should be done. When you bite into it, and your teeth feel some resistance, but the pasta is still tender, your pasta is al dente.
We don’t recommend freezing this recipe. It may lose its texture during the freezing process and not be quite as creamy once thawed.
This chicken pasta recipe will work well with any type of pasta that you enjoy. Long or short pasta shapes will both work.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Creamy Garlic Pasta
- Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo
- Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mushrooms
Creamy Italian Chicken with Pasta
- 32 ounces alfredo sauce try our homemade Olive Garden Alfredo Sauce!
- 2 cups chicken broth low-sodium
- 8 ounces fettuccine noodles uncooked
- 4 ounces cream cheese optional
- 8 ounces pre-cooked or rotisserie chicken
- grated parmesan cheese and parsley for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place Alfredo sauce, chicken broth, and pasta in a 12-inch skillet.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally to prevent pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Continue simmering until pasta is cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- For an extra creamy pasta, stir in cream cheese until melted and combined.
- Top with chicken, grated parmesan cheese, and chopped parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.