January 12, 2024Review Recipe
Table of Contents
With a rich, flavorful, homemade sauce, this creamy chicken pasta is a simple family favorite. This dinner takes less than an hour to make and combines tasty chicken with a deliciously seasoned sauce.
Creamy Chicken Pasta Ingredients
For The Chicken:
- 1 pound (450 grams) of chicken breast, cubed
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 teaspoons of Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons of ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of cracked black pepper
For The Sauce And Pasta:
- 16-ounce box of penne pasta
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- ¼ cup of cream cheese
- ¼ cup of unsalted butter
- 4 cups of chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1½ cups of heavy cream, 33%
- 1 tablespoon of dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon of dried oregano
- ¾ cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided into ½ cup and ¼ cup
- 3 tablespoons of fresh basil, minced
Substitutions And Additions
HEAVY CREAM: Combine milk and butter to make heavy cream at home. Use ¼ cup of melted with ¾ cup of milk to make 1 cup of heavy cream.
PENNE PASTA: Use rigatoni as a good substitute for penne.
MOZZARELLA: You can top your pasta with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
How To Make This Creamy Chicken Pasta Recipe
STEP ONE: Use a 2-quart saucepan to cook the pasta until it’s tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Then, drain the pasta and set it aside.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Al dente is the ideal consistency for pasta. The pasta will be tender and will still have a slightly firm texture when you bite into it.
STEP TWO: Get a large skillet and stir the chicken, olive oil, and chicken seasoning spices over medium-high heat.
Toss the chicken so it’s evenly coated in spices. Cook it until the chicken pieces are thoroughly cooked, with an internal temperature is 165°F.
Set the cooked chicken pieces aside in a separate bowl.
STEP THREE: In the same skillet, cook onion and minced garlic over medium-high heat until onions are tender.
STEP FOUR: Add the cream cheese and butter to the skillet. Cook it until it’s just melted.
STEP FIVE: Add in the chicken broth, heavy cream, parsley, garlic powder, and dried oregano. Cook it over medium-high until it’s boiling, and then reduce the heat to low.
STEP SIX: Add ½ cup of parmesan cheese. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
If the sauce is too thick and you want to thin it out a bit, add hot water to the pan and stir until the sauce is smooth.
STEP SEVEN: Add the pasta to the skillet and toss it to fully coat.
STEP EIGHT: Add the chicken back to the skillet. Make sure to use a spatula to get all those spices from the chicken bowl back into the skillet and stir it to mix well.
Simmer the food over low heat for 5 minutes.
STEP NINE: Stir it often in order to fully coat all of the pasta.
STEP TEN: Before serving, sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of parmesan cheese and the minced basil over the top.
STEP ELEVEN: You’re done! Serve your dish hot.
How To Serve
Accompany your creamy chicken pasta with a refreshing Caesar salad. The salad’s vibrant colors and tangy dressing create a perfect contrast to the rich creaminess of the pasta.
Pairing your pasta with freshly baked garlic knots or garlic bread is a match made in carb heaven. The warm, garlicky aroma complements the creamy sauce of the pasta, and you won’t be able to resist dipping them into the sauce.
Storing This Chicken & Pasta
Let’s talk about how to store any leftovers of this creamy pasta.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store any leftovers in a sealed food storage container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
IN THE FREEZER: To freeze your creamy chicken pasta for later enjoyment, let it cool completely before portioning it into freezer-safe containers or resealable freezer bags.
Remember to leave some room for expansion. When properly stored, this dish can stay in the freezer for up to 3 months.
This creamy chicken pasta is loaded with delicious spices and creamy ingredients. The homemade sauce is definitely a reason to make this dish – it’s so delicious it will have everyone asking for seconds.
Frequently Asked Questions
To test your pasta for al dente, take a bite of the pasta a minute or two before the package instructions indicate it should be done. When you bite into it, and your teeth feel some resistance, but the pasta is still tender, your pasta is al dente.
This chicken pasta recipe will work well with any type of pasta that you enjoy. Long or short pasta shapes will both work.
This recipe is a great choice to freeze, either as a make-ahead dish or as leftovers. It will last in the freezer for up to 3 months stored in an airtight container.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Bacon Pasta
- Philly Cheesesteak Pasta
- Creamy Italian Chicken with Pasta
- Pasta Carbonara Recipe
- Baked Rigatoni
- Bruschetta Chicken Pasta
- Bowtie Pasta
- One Pot Chicken Pasta
- Teriyaki Chicken Skewers
- Slow Cooker Olive Garden Chicken Pasta
- Vodka Sauce Recipe
- Cream Cheese Pasta
- campfire pizza recipe foil
Creamy Chicken Pasta
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cubed (450 grams)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
Sauce and Pasta
- 16 ounces penne pasta
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 4 cups chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1½ cups heavy cream, 33%
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese, freshly shredded (divided into ½ cup and ¼ cup)
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- In a large 12-inch skillet, stir together chicken, olive oil, and the seasoning spices over medium-high heat. Toss the chicken so it’s evenly coated in spices. Cook until the chicken pieces are thoroughly cooked, with an internal temperature of 165°F. Set the cooked chicken pieces aside in a separate bowl.
- In the same skillet, cook onion and minced garlic over medium-high heat under onions are tender.
- Add cream cheese and butter to the skillet. Cook just until melted.
- Add chicken broth, heavy cream, parsley, garlic powder, and dried oregano. Cook over medium-high until boiling. Stir in ½ cup of parmesan. Add the box of pasta and bring it back to a slow simmer. Simmer for about 8 minutes or until pasta is done, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet, make sure to use a spatula to get all those spices from the chicken bowl back into the skillet, and stir to mix well. Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes stirring often to reheat the chicken.
- Before serving, sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of parmesan cheese and minced basil over top.
- Serve hot.
- Al dente is the ideal consistency for pasta. The pasta will be tender and will still have a slightly firm texture when you bite into it.
- If the sauce is too thick and you want to thin it out a bit, add hot water to the pan and stir until the sauce is smooth.