If you love chicken parmesan but hate washing dishes then this easy dinner recipe is for you! In our one-pot chicken parmesan pasta, everything all cooks in the same pot to create a creamy, cheesy and delicious meal with minimal mess that the whole family will love.
ONE POT CHICKEN PARMESAN PASTA INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic salt
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of garlic paste
- 16 ounces dried rigatoni pasta
- 1 24-ounce jar of Ragu Old World Traditional Pasta Sauce
- 24 ounces of chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, finely chopped
SUBSTITUTIONS and ADDITIONS
Chicken: To make this dish suitable for vegetarians, you could leave out the chicken, or use a vegetarian chicken substitute. You should also swap the chicken stock for vegetable stock.
Garlic: If you don’t have garlic powder, garlic salt and garlic paste, you can just add more of the type of garlic that you do have. Fresh or frozen garlic will also work for this recipe.
Ragu Old World Traditional Pasta Sauce: This is our favorite sauce to make one-pot parmesan chicken, but any brand of tomato sauce will be fine or you could use homemade pasta sauce.
Rigatoni Pasta: Penne pasta is a good substitute for rigatoni, or you could use whatever shape of past you have in the cupboard for this easy recipe.
Mushrooms: These will make a great optional extra to add if you wish.
Cherry Tomatoes: Fresh cherry tomatoes sliced in half will also make a great addition if you wish.
Spice: If you like your pasta dishes a bit spicy, you could add a dash of red pepper flakes to increase the spice in this dish.
HOW TO MAKE THIS ONE POT CHICKEN PARMESAN PASTA RECIPE
STEP ONE: Add olive oil to a Dutch oven and heat it over a medium heat.
STEP TWO: Add the chicken pieces, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder and garlic salt. Stir to combine. Cook chicken until it is almost cooked through.
STEP THREE: Add the onion and garlic paste. Stir to combine. Let it cook for five to seven minutes, or until the onions are soft and translucent.
STEP FOUR: Pour in the pasta sauce and chicken broth. Add the uncooked pasta. Stir to combine.
STEP FIVE: Cover and simmer for twelve to fourteen minutes, or until the pasta is done.
PRO TIP: Al dente is the ideal consistency for pasta. The pasta will be tender and will still have a slightly firm texture when you bite into it.
STEP SIX: Add half a cup of mozzarella cheese and stir. Top the pasta with the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, cover and let it melt. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.
PRO TIP: If you like golden brown crispy cheese, finish this dish under the broiler for a few minutes.
HOW TO SERVE
IN THE FRIDGE: Cooked chicken parmesan pasta can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat thoroughly in the microwave or on the stovetop.
IN THE FREEZER: This one-pot chicken pasta can be stored in the freezer for up to two months in an airtight container.
This one pot chicken parmesan pasta recipe is so quick and easy to make – it’s one of our favourite weeknight family meals. Creamy, cheesy and garlicky, this dish is packed full of flavor and the fact that it leaves fewer dishes is a huge bonus!
This easy chicken recipe would work fine with boneless skinless chicken thighs as well. Just cut them up into small pieces and continue with the recipe.
A Dutch oven is a thick, heavy metal or ceramic cooking pot with a lid. You could also use a soup pot or a stock pot.
This recipe is a great choice to freeze, either as a make ahead dish or as leftovers. It will last in the freezer up to 2 months stored in an airtight container.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
One Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta
- 3 chicken breasts diced into bite sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 medium yellow onion finely minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 16 ounces dried rigatoni pasta
- 1 24-ounce jar Ragu Old World Traditional Pasta Sauce
- 24 ounces chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat add olive oil, bite sized chicken pieces, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, and garlic salt. Stir to combine. Cook until chicken is most of the way cooked through.
- Add onion and garlic paste. Stir to combine. Let cook for 5-7 minutes, or until onions are soft and translucent.
- Pour in pasta sauce and chicken broth. Add rigatoni pasta. Stir to combine. Cover and let cook on a low simmer for 12-14 minutes, or until pasta is done.
- Add mozzarella cheese and stir. Top the pasta with the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese then cover and let melt. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve!