October 20, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
This easy chicken parmesan pasta is the right choice if you love chicken parmesan but hate washing dishes. In this recipe, everything all cooks in the same pot to create a delicious meal with minimal mess that the whole family will love.
One Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta Ingredients
This chicken parmesan pasta is a delicious fusion of tender, seasoned chicken, a rich pasta sauce, and cheesy rigatoni.
The chicken is aromatic and savory, while the sauce brings a classic Italian flavor with its herbs and spices.
The combination of mozzarella and parmesan cheese creates a creamy, satisfying texture, and fresh parsley adds a touch of brightness.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic salt
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of garlic paste
- 1 (24-ounce) jar of pasta sauce
- 24 ounces of chicken stock
- 16 ounces of dried rigatoni pasta
- 1½ cups of mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup of parmesan cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, finely chopped
Substitutions And Additions
CHICKEN: To make this dish suitable for vegetarians, you could leave out the chicken or use a vegetarian chicken substitute.
You should also swap the chicken stock for vegetable stock.
GARLIC: If you don’t have garlic powder, garlic salt, and garlic paste, you can just add more of the type of garlic that you do have.
Fresh or frozen garlic will also work for this recipe.
RAGU PASTA SAUCE: This is our favorite sauce to make one-pot parmesan chicken, but any brand of tomato sauce will be fine.
You could also use homemade pasta sauce.
RIGATONI PASTA: Penne pasta is a good substitute for rigatoni, or you could use whatever shape of pasta you have in the cupboard for this easy recipe.
MUSHROOMS: These will make a great optional extra to add if you wish.
CHERRY TOMATOES: Fresh cherry tomatoes sliced in half will also make a great addition if you wish.
SPICE: If you like your pasta dishes a bit spicy, you could add a dash of red pepper flakes to increase the spice in this dish.
How To Make This One Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta Recipe
STEP ONE: Add olive oil to a Dutch oven and heat it over medium heat.
STEP TWO: Add the chicken pieces, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, and garlic salt. Stir to combine.
Cook chicken until it is almost cooked through.
STEP THREE: Add the onion and garlic paste. Stir to combine. Let it cook for five to seven minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent.
STEP FOUR: Pour in the pasta sauce and chicken broth. Add the uncooked pasta. Stir to combine.
STEP FIVE: Cover and simmer for twelve to fourteen minutes or until the pasta is done.
Al dente is the ideal consistency for pasta. The pasta will be tender and will still have a slightly firm texture when you bite into it.
STEP SIX: Add half a cup of mozzarella cheese and stir. Top the pasta with the remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese, cover, and let it melt.
Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.
If you like golden brown crispy cheese, finish this dish under the broiler for a few minutes.
How To Serve
This dish is fancy enough to serve guests while being easy enough to whip up on a hectic weeknight.
MORE PARMESAN RECIPES
Now that you’ve enjoyed a hearty meal of chicken parmesan pasta, let’s talk about how to store any leftovers or make this dish ahead for future cravings.
MAKE AHEAD: If you’re planning to get a head start on your meal prep, you can prepare the sauce and cook the pasta in advance.
Store the sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days.
As for the pasta, toss it with a touch of olive oil to prevent sticking, and store it separately in an airtight container in the fridge.
When you’re ready to serve, simply reheat the sauce and pasta, then combine them, adding freshly cooked chicken for that just-made flavor.
IN THE FRIDGE: Cooked chicken parmesan pasta can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Reheat thoroughly in the microwave or on the stovetop.
IN THE FREEZER: This one-pot chicken pasta can be stored in the freezer for up to two months in an airtight container.
REHEATING: When it’s time to reheat your chicken parmesan pasta, you have a couple of options:
- STOVETOP: This is the preferred method for the best results. Reheat it in a pan over low to medium heat, adding a bit of chicken stock or water as needed to maintain the sauce’s consistency.
- MICROWAVE: If you’re in a hurry, the microwave can work, too. Heat in 1-minute intervals, stirring between each until it’s hot. Keep an eye on it to prevent overcooking!
Why We Love This Recipe
ONE-POT WONDER: This recipe is a time-saver and a breeze to clean up after because it all comes together in a single pot. Who doesn’t appreciate fewer dishes to wash?
FULL OF FLAVOR: The combination of Italian seasoning, garlic, onion, and pasta sauce creates a rich and robust flavor profile that’s both comforting and satisfying.
CHEESY DELIGHT: With the perfect blend of mozzarella and parmesan cheese, every bite is a cheesy, creamy dream.
This chicken parmesan pasta recipe is so quick and easy to make – it’s one of our favorite weeknight family meals. Creamy, cheesy, and garlicky, this dish is packed full of flavor, and the fact that it leaves fewer dishes is a huge bonus!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This easy chicken recipe would work fine with boneless skinless chicken thighs as well. Just cut them up into small pieces and continue with the recipe.
A Dutch oven is a thick, heavy metal or ceramic cooking pot with a lid. You could also use a soup pot or a stockpot.
This recipe is a great choice to freeze, either as a make-ahead dish or as leftovers. It will last in the freezer for up to two months stored in an airtight container.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Philly Cheesesteak Pasta
- Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mushrooms
- Creamy Beef and Shells
- Million Dollar Mac and Cheese
- Cream Cheese Pasta
- Bowtie Pasta
Chicken Parmesan Pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 chicken breasts, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 24 ounces pasta sauce
- 24 ounces chicken stock
- 16 ounces dried rigatoni pasta
- 1½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, add olive oil, bite-sized chicken pieces, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, and garlic salt. Stir to combine. Cook until chicken is most of the way cooked through.
- Add onion and garlic paste. Stir to combine. Let cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until onions are soft and translucent.
- Pour in pasta sauce and chicken broth. Add rigatoni pasta. Stir to combine. Cover and let cook on a low simmer for 12 to 14 minutes, or until pasta is done.
- Add mozzarella cheese and stir. Top the pasta with the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese then cover and let melt. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve!
- Al dente is the ideal consistency for pasta. The pasta will be tender and will still have a slightly firm texture when you bite into it.
- If you like golden brown crispy cheese, finish this dish under the broiler for a few minutes.
More Easy Pasta Recipes
- Chicken Alfredo Bake
- Chicken Spaghetti
- Creamy Italian Chicken (with Pasta)
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- Creamy Garlic Pasta
- One Pot Chicken Pasta
- Spicy Chicken Pasta