October 19, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Supremely ooey-gooey, this million-dollar mac and cheese are the stuff dreams are made of. The ultimate in comfort food with three different kinds of cheese and a crunchy panko topping, you can’t find a better mac and cheese recipe.
Million Dollar Mac And Cheese Ingredients
If you’re looking for a mac and cheese dish that’s worth its weight in gold, million-dollar mac and cheese is definitely worth a try.
This decadent dish is the perfect combination of creamy, salty, and savory flavors that will leave your taste buds feeling indulged.
Made with a combination of gooey cheddar and parmesan cheeses, crispy bacon, and a breadcrumb topping, million-dollar mac and cheese provides a contrasting texture in every bite.
For The Mac And Cheese:
- 1 (16-ounce) box of cavatappi noodles
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 2 cups of half & half
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (8-ounce block) of shredded sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (8-ounce block) of shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups (8-ounce block) of shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons of seasoning salt (I use Lowry’s)
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
For The Topping:
- 1 cup of panko bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
You can use all whole milk OR all half & half in this recipe if you would like. The all half & half version will be very rich and indulgent.
Substitutions And Additions
CHEESE: If you can not find Gruyère cheese in your local store, you can substitute Swiss cheese in its place. They are very similar, and both go very well with sharp cheddar cheese.
We do not recommend using pre-shredded cheese as it won’t melt as well. Opt for block cheese and grate it yourself.
PASTA: I like to use cavatappi noodles for this dish, but you can substitute penne or mostaccioli rigatti.
These are all short kinds of pasta that are sturdy and can hold up to this very hearty cheese sauce. Noodles like elbows and shells are just too delicate for this dish.
BACON: Adding small pieces of crumbled bacon to mac and cheese is always a good idea.
TOPPING: Add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese for even more cheesy goodness.
SPICE: Add a bit of spice to this already amazing dish. A dash of hot sauce, a sprinkle of cayenne pepper, or red pepper flakes would all work.
You could also try mixing jalapeno jack cheese into your cheese mixture to kick up the heat.
How To Make This Million-Dollar Mac And Cheese Recipe
This indulgent mac and cheese recipe consists of cooking the pasta and the sauce before combining them together.
Spread the mixture in a baking dish and top with plenty of decadent toppings before baking in the oven until nice and gooey.
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Using a pastry brush, in a 4-quart casserole dish, butter the bottom and up the sides of the dish with two tablespoons of room-temperature butter. Set aside.
STEP TWO: In a large stockpot, boil your cavatappi noodles for eight minutes or only until al dente.
Since the pasta will continue to cook in the oven, you don’t want it to become mushy.
To check if pasta is al dente, taste a piece after the minimum suggested cooking time.
It should be firm, offering a bit of resistance when bitten, but not hard or crunchy.
Visually, al dente pasta appears slightly translucent with a tiny white dot at the center, indicating a slightly uncooked core that will continue to cook from residual heat.
Once cooked, drain the noodles and return them to your stockpot.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Al dente is the ideal consistency for pasta. The pasta will be tender and will still have a slightly firm texture when you bite into it.
STEP THREE: While your noodles are boiling, start your cheese sauce. In a large saucepan, on medium-high heat, melt your remaining quarter cup of butter.
Add the flour and whisk until all the flour has been incorporated with the melted butter and gets light brown in color.
When making this roux (butter and flour mixture), ensure the flour is fully incorporated into the melted butter before adding the liquid.
This helps prevent lumps.
STEP FOUR: While whisking your butter and flour, slowly pour in your whole milk and half & half.
Make sure you whisk constantly to ensure that you do not have any lumps in your cheese sauce.
STEP FIVE: Add your Dijon mustard, seasoning salt, dried parsley, and black pepper to your milk mixture.
Continue to cook your sauce for six to eight minutes and whisk to make sure that you do not burn your milk mixture.
STEP SIX: Once the milk mixture has thickened, turn off the heat and add your shredded sharp yellow cheese and shredded Monterey jack cheese.
You will not want to add your cheese all at once, but in one cup portions at a time so that as you whisk it in, you are creating a smooth cheese sauce.
STEP SEVEN: Once all your sharp yellow cheddar and Monterey jack cheese are incorporated and your sauce is smooth, pour it into your stockpot with your cooked macaroni. Stir to coat evenly.
STEP EIGHT: Spoon half of the macaroni noodles into your prepared casserole dish.
Sprinkle, in an even layer, 1½ cups of your shredded Gruyère cheese on top of the macaroni.
Next, you will want to dollop your sour cream over the top of your shredded Gruyère cheese and smooth it out into an even layer of sour cream.
STEP NINE: Add the remaining cheesy noodles to your casserole dish and top evenly with the remaining half cup of shredded Gruyère cheese.
STEP TEN: In a medium-sized bowl, combine all of your topping ingredients so that they are mixed well.
STEP ELEVEN: Evenly sprinkle this topping mixture over your mac & cheese mixture.
STEP TWELVE: Bake your million-dollar mac & cheese for 30 minutes or until it is golden brown and the cheese sauce is bubbly.
Keep a close eye on the mac and cheese while it’s baking. Oven temperatures can vary, so start checking a bit before the suggested baking time is up.
STEP THIRTEEN: Once baked, allow your million-dollar mac and cheese casserole to rest on the counter for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
This helps the cheese sauce to set a bit and makes serving easier.
Troubleshooting this Mac and Cheese Recipe
My sauce has lumps in it – The process of making the cheese sauce requires careful attention.
Make sure to whisk the flour and butter mixture while slowly pouring in the milk and half & half.
This step is crucial to avoid lumps in the sauce. Also, the cheese should be added gradually to create a smooth sauce.
You can fix it by whisking it vigorously over low heat, which can help melt any lumps and break them up.
If the lumps persist, consider transferring the sauce to a blender and blending it until smooth, but remember to do this in small batches and be careful as the sauce will be hot.
As a last resort, you can strain the sauce through a fine-mesh sieve to remove any remaining lumps, resulting in a smooth sauce, although you might lose some volume in the process.
My pasta is overcooked (too mushy) – The recipe emphasizes that the pasta should be cooked to al dente.
This means it should still have a slightly firm texture. Overcooking the pasta leads to a mushy final product.
My cheese didn’t melt properly – It’s important to note that pre-shredded cheese is not recommended as it often contains preservatives that can interfere with the melting process.
My sauce is too thick – If your cheese sauce becomes too thick, you can thin it by adding a bit more milk.
Add the milk a little at a time, stirring well after each addition, until you reach your desired consistency.
How To Serve
Whether you’re serving it as a main dish, a side, or a component in another meal, this million-dollar macaroni and cheese casserole is best served hot for that ooey-gooey cheesy goodness.
This versatile dish, with its creamy texture and rich blend of cheeses, can be the star of a meal or play a supporting role, blending harmoniously with a variety of flavors.
A crisp, fresh side salad (or Caesar salad) provides a light, refreshing contrast to the rich, creamy mac and cheese.
The smoky flavor of grilled vegetables or the caramelized sweetness of roasted vegetables can complement the creamy mac and cheese beautifully. Our roasted potatoes or roasted broccoli would make excellent choices.
MORE MAC AND CHEESE RECIPES
This is a great meal to keep in the freezer for a busy night. Or even better, make two and enjoy one while saving the other one until later.
MAKE AHEAD: This million dollar mac and cheese recipe can be prepared in advance, making it a convenient option for busy days.
To do this, follow the recipe up until the point of baking. Once you’ve assembled the mac and cheese in the baking dish, allow it to cool completely.
Then, cover it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate.
IN THE FRIDGE: Leftover mac and cheese can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Make sure to let the dish cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container.
To maintain the best quality, try to store the leftovers in a single, shallow layer rather than stacking them, as this can help the mac and cheese cool and reheat more evenly.
IN THE FREEZER: If you want to freeze the mac and cheese, let it cool completely after cooking, then transfer it to a freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer bag.
It can be stored in the freezer for up to three months.
REHEATING: There are several ways to reheat the mac and cheese. If you’re reheating a single serving, the microwave is a quick and easy option.
Place the mac and cheese in a microwave-safe dish, and cover it with a microwave-safe lid or microwave-safe plastic wrap.
Heat it on medium power for 1-2 minutes or until heated through, stirring once or twice for even heating.
If you’re reheating a larger amount, you can use the oven.
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C), cover the mac and cheese with aluminum foil to prevent it from drying out, and bake for 20-30 minutes or until heated through.
If the mac and cheese was frozen, make sure it has been thawed in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Why We Love This Recipe
ULTRA-CHEESY: This recipe boasts an abundance of creamy, gooey cheese, creating a luscious and indulgent mac and cheese that’s every cheese lover’s dream. It’s the ultimate comfort food.
RESTAURANT QUALITY: The combination of high-quality cheeses and seasonings in this recipe results in a flavor profile that rivals what you’d find in a top-notch restaurant.
EASY TO PREPARE: Despite its gourmet taste, this mac and cheese is surprisingly easy to make. The straightforward instructions and readily available ingredients ensure that you can whip up this delicious dish with ease.
Cheese lovers rejoice, this million-dollar mac and cheese with its delicious cheese sauce and panko crumbs on top will undoubtedly become your favorite mac and cheese recipe.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes, you can prepare mac and cheese up to the point of baking and then cover and refrigerate it for up to a day in advance. When you’re ready to serve, bake it as directed, adding a few extra minutes to the baking time since it will be starting from a colder temperature.
This easy mac and cheese recipe can be frozen for up to three months in an airtight container.
Adding some hot peppers such as jalapeños, a dash of red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper, or a spicy cheese would be great ways to make your dish spicier.
If you are using pre-shredded cheese, it comes coated with a preservative. It is best for this recipe to shred your own cheese.
Mac and cheese pairs well with a variety of dishes. You can serve it with a side salad, roasted vegetables, or grilled chicken for a complete meal. It also makes a great side dish for BBQ or grilled meats.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Dirty Rice
- Creamed Corn
- Zucchini Gratin
- Simple Sauteed Vegetables
- Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- Cream Cheese Pasta Sauce
- 5 Cup Salad
- Cheesy Pull-Apart Bread
- Million Dollar Spaghetti
- Mexican Casserole
- Taco Pasta Salad
Even More Easy Recipes
- Baked Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Carbonara Pasta
- Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
- Pumpkin Spice Mac and Cheese
- Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- Fried Cheese Balls
- Shake and Bake Chicken
- Best Macaroni Salad
- Teriyaki Steak Bites
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad
- Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- One Pot Chicken Pasta
- Sour Cream Noodle Bake
Million Dollar Mac and Cheese
Mac and Cheese
- 16 ounces Cavatappi noodles
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half & half
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature (plus 2 tablespoons)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sharp yellow cheddar cheese, shredded (8-ounce block)
- 2 cups Monterey jack cheese, shredded (8-ounce block)
- 2 cups gruyère cheese, shredded (8-ounce block)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons season salt, I use Lowry’s
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Using a pastry brush, in a 4-quart casserole dish, butter the bottom and up the sides of the dish with the 2 tablespoons of room temperature butter. Set aside.
- In a large stockpot, boil your cavatappi noodles for 8 minutes. Once cooked, drain them and return them to your stockpot. While your noodles are boiling, start your cheese sauce.
- In a large saucepan, on medium-high heat, melt your remaining ¼ cup of butter. Add the flour and whisk until all the flour has been incorporated with the melted butter and gets light brown in color.
- While whisking your butter and flour, slowly pour in your whole milk and half & half. Make sure you whisk constantly to ensure that you do not have any lumps in your cheese sauce.
- Add your Dijon mustard, season salt, dried parsley, and black pepper to your milk mixture. Continue to cook your sauce for 6 to 8 minutes and whisk to make sure that you do not burn your milk mixture.
- Once the milk mixture has thickened, turn off the heat and add your shredded sharp yellow cheese and shredded Monterey jack cheese. You will not want to add your cheese all at once, but in 1 cup portions at a time so that as you whisk it in, you are creating a smooth cheese sauce.
- Once all your sharp yellow cheddar and Monterey jack cheese is incorporated and your sauce is smooth, pour it into your stockpot with your cook and drained noodles. Stir to coat evenly.
- Pour half of your cheesy noodles into your prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle, in an even layer, 1½ cups of your shredded gruyère cheese.
- Dollop your sour cream over the top of your shredded gruyère cheese and smooth it out into an even layer.
- Add the remaining cheesy noodles to your casserole dish and top evenly with the remaining ½ cup of shredded gruyère cheese.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine all of your topping ingredients so that they are mixed well. Evenly sprinkle this topping mixture over your mac & cheese mixture.
- Bake your million dollar mac and cheese for 30 minutes or until it is golden brown and the cheese sauce is bubbly.
- Once baked, allow your million dollar mac and cheese to rest on the counter for 10 to 5 minutes before serving.
- You can use all whole milk OR all half & half in this recipe if you would like. The all half & half version will be very rich and indulgent.
- Al dente is the ideal consistency for pasta. The pasta will be tender and will still have a slightly firm texture when you bite into it.
- It’s best to grate your own cheese rather than use the pre-grated version in the bag. That’s because it usually has a preservative on it, which means it doesn’t melt as well.