December 1, 2022Review Recipe
Table of Contents
One-pot taco spaghetti is an easy and delicious comfort food dinner that has all the tasty Mexican flavors of tacos but in spaghetti form. The taco meat and tomatoes smell incredible as they cook and with only a single skillet, there’s barely any clean-up afterward.
Taco Spaghetti Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 pound of ground beef
- ¼ cup of yellow onions
- ¼ cup of taco seasoning mix, 1 packet or homemade taco seasoning
- 10-ounce can of Rotel tomatoes
- 8 ounces of spaghetti noodles, uncooked
- 3 cups of water
- 4 ounces of cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
It’s best to grate your own cheese rather than use the pre-grated version in the bag. That’s because it usually has a preservative coating on it which means it doesn’t melt as well.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
GROUND BEEF: You can easily make this taco spaghetti recipe vegetarian by switching the meat for your favorite vegetarian ground beef alternative or even black beans. You could also opt for ground turkey, ground chicken or ground pork instead of ground beef.
TACO SEASONING: Instead of using a packet of taco seasoning, if you have a well-stocked spice rack you can easily make your own taco seasoning with red pepper flakes, chili powder, onion powder, oregano, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper.
ROTEL TOMATOES: These are basically just canned tomatoes and chiles, so you can easily substitute fresh or canned tomatoes and fresh or dried green chiles. If you are looking for tomatoes with less spice, you can use a can of diced tomatoes or even salsa.
CHEDDAR CHEESE: Any other cheese would work for this great recipe, including Jack, Colby, Swiss, a Mexican cheese blend, or even a dairy-free cheese alternative if you prefer.
VEGETABLES: To make this taco spaghetti recipe more healthy you could add some mushrooms, bell peppers, zucchini or any other veggies that need using up.
PASTA: Any long pasta would work well in this recipe. You can even use zucchini noodles if you’d like.
How To Make This Taco Spaghetti Recipe
STEP ONE: Heat the olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat.
STEP TWO: Brown the ground beef and onions until the meat is no longer pink and the onions are soft and translucent. Drain meat if needed.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
For an even quicker cooking time, ground beef can be cooked ahead of time. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to a month.
STEP THREE: Add the taco seasoning, Rotel tomatoes (including the juice), uncooked spaghetti noodles, and water. Turn the heat up to high and bring to a boil.
STEP FOUR: Once the water comes to a boil reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes until the spaghetti is al dente.
STEP FIVE: Remove from the heat. Sprinkle half of the cheese into the pan and stir well.
STEP SIX: Top with remaining shredded cheese and cilantro, then serve.
You can always add your favorite taco toppings such as extra cheese, green onions and a dollop of sour cream.
How To Serve
MORE PASTA RECIPES
IN THE FRIDGE: Store leftovers of this taco spaghetti pasta in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days.
IN THE FREEZER: Taco spaghetti with ground beef freezes well for up to three months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating in the microwave or on the stovetop.
This one-pot Mexican spaghetti dish is so easy to make and is sure to please the whole family. Taco pasta tastes even better the next day, so you may wish to set some aside and take it to work for lunch.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This simple recipe will work with any pasta, either long pasta or bite-size pasta is fine. Just adjust the cooking time depending on how long the package directions indicate.
Taco spaghetti will freeze well in an airtight container for up to three months.
If you replace the ground meat with either beans or a vegetarian ground meat substitute, you can make this dish vegetarian.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Baked Spaghetti
- Pizza Casserole
- Taco Soup
- Ravioli Lasagna
- Chicken Spaghetti
- Taco Bake
- Crockpot Baked Ziti
- Lasagna Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¼ cup yellow onions
- ¼ cup taco seasoning (1 packet)
- 10 ounces Rotel tomatoes
- 8 ounces spaghetti noodles, uncooked
- 3 cups water
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Brown ground beef and onion in the skillet until the meat is no longer pink and onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the taco seasoning, Rotel tomatoes (including juice), spaghetti noodles, and water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Once the water comes to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Sprinkle half of the cheese into the pan and stir to distribute the cooked spaghetti and cheese throughout the pan.
- Top with remaining cheese and cilantro. Serve.
- It’s best to grate your own cheese rather than use the pre-grated version in the bag. That’s because it usually has a preservative coating on it which means it doesn’t melt as well.
- For an even quicker cooking time, ground beef can be cooked ahead of time. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to a month.
- You can always add your favorite taco toppings such as extra cheese, green onions and a dollop of sour cream.