October 24, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
This baked ziti with chicken is so easy, versatile, and delicious. Tender pasta and chicken are mixed with a flavorful tomato sauce and lots of cheese for an amazing meal that is ideal for busy weeknights.
Baked Ziti With Chicken Ingredients
- 1 (16-ounce) box of ziti noodles
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) jar of your favorite pasta sauce (or make your own)
- 1 (0.5-ounce) package of fresh basil, chopped (about ⅓ cup)
- 1 cup of grated parmesan, divided into two ½-cup portions
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella, divided into two 1-cup portions
Substitutions And Additions
SPICE: If you like your dishes spicy, add a pinch of red pepper flakes when you stir in the basil.
MEAT: You could switch up the protein in your pasta dish. Italian sausage, ground beef, ground chicken, or ground pork would all be great options.
PASTA: You could choose a different type of pasta as a substitute for the ziti pasta. Rotini, farfalle, rigatoni, shells, or penne pasta would all be excellent substitutes.
SAUCE: You can also use alfredo sauce — it’s also really tasty! Or do a mix of marinara sauce and Alfredo sauce if you’re a pink sauce fan.
How To Make This Baked Ziti With Chicken Recipe
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 × 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
STEP TWO: Cook pasta according to package directions to al dente, drain it well, and return pasta to the pan.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Don’t forget to add salt to the water. It adds flavor to the pasta while cooking.
Al dente is the ideal consistency for pasta. The pasta will be tender and will still have a slightly firm texture when you bite into it.
STEP THREE: Prepare the uncooked chicken by generously seasoning it with salt and black pepper.
STEP FOUR: Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add your small pieces of chicken and cook it until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle.
STEP FIVE: When the chicken is done, add the 2 cloves of minced garlic to the skillet and cook for another 30 to 60 seconds, or until the garlic is fragrant.
STEP SIX: Stir the tomato sauce, chicken, and basil into your pasta in the pan, making sure everything is evenly coated.
STEP SEVEN: Pour half of the pasta mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top the first half with ½ cup parmesan and 1 cup mozzarella. Then, pour the remaining half of the pasta mixture on top. Don’t add the rest of the cheese quite yet!
STEP EIGHT: Cover the pasta casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake it for 20 minutes.
STEP NINE: After 20 minutes, uncover the dish and top it with the remaining ½ cup of parmesan and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. Bake uncovered for another 8 minutes.
If you want to brown your cheese slightly, you can turn your broiler on for the last minute of melting the cheese. Make sure to keep a close eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
STEP TEN: When finished, you can top the ziti bake with additional chopped basil if desired.
How To Serve
I usually serve a big, fresh Caesar salad with this easy chicken and pasta dish. It’s perfect for adding veggies and greens, and I think a salad is always a nice complement to a pasta dish.
IN THE FRIDGE: This chicken-baked ziti can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 3 to 5 days. You can reheat it in the oven or microwave.
IN THE FREEZER: This dish freezes so well and makes it very easy to have on a later date. Make sure that it has completely cooled down before putting it in the freezer. Leave the dish sitting out at room temperature for about a half-hour, then cover with foil and throw it in the freezer! Best if eaten within about 3 months.
REHEATING: Reheating is easy with this one as well. You can put it in the oven for an hour covered, and then uncover and bake it for another 10 minutes.
I am a sucker for any sort of pasta dish, but I especially love the cheesiness of this baked ziti with chicken. It’s very versatile. The addition of chicken is delicious and gives it protein.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
To test your pasta for al dente, take a bite of the pasta a minute or two before the package instructions indicate it should be done. When you bite into it, and your teeth feel some resistance, but the pasta is still tender, your pasta is al dente.
You can freeze the leftovers of this pasta dish. This pasta dish is great to make ahead and freeze to bake later as well. It will last up to three months in the freezer.
There are a few reasons your baked pasta dish is dry. First, there may not be enough sauce in the dish. Second, the noodles aren’t cooked until just al dente and end up overcooking while baking. Third, the noodles aren’t thoroughly and evenly coated with sauce. Finally, the edges of the noodles are exposed and may dry out.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Classic Meatloaf
- Cowboy Casserole
- Penne Alla Vodka
- One Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta
- Chicken Alfredo Bake
- Italian Sausage Pasta
- Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
- Chicken Spaghetti
- Creamy Italian Chicken (with Pasta)
- Chicken Parmesan
- Crockpot Baked Ziti
- White Chicken Lasagna
- Chicken Alfredo Stuffed Shells
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- Oven Baked Chicken
- French Onion Chicken
- Shrimp Alfredo
- Benihana Hibachi Chicken
- Tortellini Alfredo
- Tuna Casserole
- Hamburger Casserole Recipe
- Stuffed Ziti Fritta
- Meatloaf Recipe with Stove Top Stuffing
- Hungarian Goulash
- Chicken Salad
- Pea Salad
- Taco Pasta Salad
- Mexican Casserole
- Cheesy Potato Casserole
Baked Ziti with Chicken
- 16 ounces ziti noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 ounces your favorite pasta sauce, or make your own
- 0.5 ounces fresh basil, chopped (about ⅓ cup)
- 1 cup grated parmesan, divided into two ½-cup portions
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella, divided into two 1-cup portions
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta to al dente, drain well and return to pan.
- Generously season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle.
- When the chicken is done, add two cloves of minced garlic to the skillet and cook another minute, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Stir the sauce, chicken, and basil into your pasta, making sure everything is evenly coated.
- Pour half of your pasta mixture into the baking dish. Top with ½ cup of parmesan and 1 cup of mozzarella. Pour the remaining pasta on top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover, top with ½ cup parmesan and 1 cup mozzarella, and bake, uncovered, for 8 minutes.
- Top with additional chopped basil, if desired.
- Don’t forget to add salt to the water. It adds flavor to the pasta while cooking.
- Al dente is the ideal consistency for pasta. The pasta will be tender and will still have a slightly firm texture when you bite into it.
- If you want to brown your cheese slightly, you can turn your broiler on for the last minute of melting the cheese. Make sure to keep a close eye on it so it doesn’t burn.