September 20, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
This creamy, baked tortellini casserole is loaded with cheese and will come out of your oven bubbling. A layer of gooey cheese on top of tender pasta in a meaty sauce will warm you up on even the coldest of days.
Baked Tortellini Ingredients
- 19-ounce bag of frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning
- 8 ounces of cream cheese
- 24-ounce jar of pasta sauce with mushrooms
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup of parmesan cheese
Substitutions And Additions
PASTA: You can use any type of stuffed pasta for this recipe, such as ravioli, agnolotti, or cappelletti.
To sneak in some extra veggies, choose a stuffed pasta with spinach or other veggies inside.
MEAT: Any kind of ground meat works well in this tortellini bake. Ground turkey, chicken, pork, or venison could be used in place of ground beef.
You could even break up some Italian sausage for even more flavor. Another way to change it would be to use cut-up chicken breasts.
SAUCE: This great recipe uses mushroom sauce, but if mushrooms aren’t your thing, any red sauce will work. Roasted garlic would be a tasty choice.
FRESH VS FROZEN: Substitute the frozen tortellini with fresh tortellini pasta and cook for one minute less than the frozen pasta.
How To Make This Baked Tortellini Recipe
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
STEP TWO: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook tortellini pasta for three minutes. Drain well.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Don’t forget to add salt to the water. It adds flavor to the pasta while cooking.
STEP THREE: Brown the ground beef in a large skillet along with the seasonings until no longer pink. Drain the grease from the pan.
Make sure to add a little bit of olive oil to the pan first so that the meat and seasonings don’t stick to the bottom.
STEP FOUR: Cut the cream cheese into smaller chunks and add to the seasoned meat, stirring until melted.
STEP FIVE: Combine the cooked pasta with the tomato sauce and then add the meat mixture.
When combining the ingredients with the tortellini, make sure to stir carefully to ensure the pasta pockets don’t get broken.
STEP SIX: Add the meat and tortellini mixture to the prepared baking dish and top with the mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
STEP SEVEN: Bake uncovered in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. You should see the sides starting to bubble.
You can assemble this dish ahead of time and leave it in the fridge until you are ready to bake or freeze it unbaked and bake it when you are ready to serve.
STEP EIGHT: Once the pasta is baked, turn on the broiler for a couple of minutes for a golden brown top.
How To Serve
Sprinkle some extra parmesan or Reggiano cheese on top for an even more cheesy flavor.
IN THE FRIDGE: Once cooled, store the cheesy tortellini in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Leftovers can easily be reheated the next day in the microwave for a quick lunch or warmed in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes at 350°F.
To ensure the pasta doesn’t dry out in the microwave, add a few drops of water or milk over it and cover it with microwave-safe plastic wrap before heating.
IN THE FREEZER: The unbaked dish can be frozen until you are ready to bake. It will keep in the freezer for up to three months, ready for an easy weeknight meal.
TO REHEAT: If the pasta has been in the freezer, make sure to thaw fully in the fridge for 24 hours first.
Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
Cheesy baked tortellini with cream cheese and meat sauce is a delicious way to serve stuffed pasta. Its creamy and cheesy texture will make it a favorite comfort food that the whole family will gobble up. Just like Nonna used to make!
Frequently Asked Questions
This easy cheesy baked tortellini recipe would be delicious with either type of tortellini.
Instead of the tortellini, you could use meat or cheese ravioli.
You can make this delicious pasta recipe ahead of time. Either assemble it and store it in the fridge the day before you plan to bake it, or assemble it, cover and freeze it for baking later.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Tortellini Soup
- One Pot Pasta
- One Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta
- Creamy Chicken Pasta
- Tuna Casserole
- Cheesy Pull-Apart Bread
- Baked Beans
- Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mushrooms
- Baked Ziti
- Instant Pot Turkey Breast
- Crockpot Baked Ziti
- Million Dollar Mac and Cheese
- Creamy Garlic Pasta
- Chicken Tortellini
- Chicken Roll Ups
- Stove Top Meatloaf
- Fried Ravioli
- Baked Rigatoni
- Asiago Tortellini Alfredo with Grilled Chicken
- No Peek Beef Tips
- Cream Cheese Pasta
- Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- Cajun Pasta
- Everything Bagel Pasta
- 1 pound beef, ground
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 19 ounces frozen cheese tortellini
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 24 ounces pasta sauce with mushrooms
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and add tortellini. Cook for 3 minutes, then drain water.
- Add the ground beef and seasoning to a skillet, cook until no pink remains. Drain the fluid.
- Cut up the cream cheese into chunks and add to the ground meat.
- Mix the pasta sauce with the tortellini, carefully don’t overmix or break up the pasta.
- Add the meat mixture to the pasta and carefully stir until mixed well.
- Add to the prepared dish and top the meat mixture with the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. It should have started to bubble on the sides now.
- For a better appearance, broil the top of the cheese for a couple of minutes until the desired color is reached, about 2 minutes.
- Serve hot with garlic bread and a side salad.
- Don’t forget to add salt to the water. It adds flavor to the pasta while cooking.
- Make sure to add a little bit of olive oil to the pan first so that the meat and seasonings don’t stick to the bottom.
- When combining the ingredients with the tortellini, make sure to stir carefully to ensure the pasta pockets don’t get broken.
- You can assemble this dish ahead of time and leave in the fridge until you are ready to bake or freeze unbaked and bake when you are ready to serve.