Last updated on
Table of Contents
Using ravioli instead of traditional lasagna noodles, this cheesy ravioli lasagna is baked to ooey gooey perfection. Ground beef is perfectly seasoned before being layered with spaghetti sauce, frozen ravioli and plenty of cheese.
Lasagna lovers, make sure you also check out our easy lasagna casserole as well as our classic lasagna recipe. They’re both reader favorites. Or make Instant Pot lasagna – it’s way easier (and faster) than you think!
RAVIOLI LASAGNA INGREDIENTS
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 24-ounce jar of pasta sauce (or make your own tomato sauce)
- 25-ounce bag of square frozen ravioli
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
MEAT: Add Italian sausage or pork to the ground beef or you can even substitute the ground beef for ground pork or ground turkey.
CHEESE: Add ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, or cream cheese in between the layers. Or substitute smoked provolone or fontina cheese or an Italian cheese blend for additional flavors.
SAUCE: Add a little alfredo sauce to the mix to make it even creamier. Fresh/canned mushrooms or fresh/frozen spinach also make great additions to the marinara sauce. For a zesty kick, add crushed red pepper flakes.
FRESH VS FROZEN: Substitute the frozen ravioli for fresh ravioli.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RAVIOLI LASAGNA RECIPE
You can assemble this ahead of time and leave it in the fridge until you’re ready to bake. It would also make a great meal to give to a friend or neighbor.
STEP ONE: Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
You do not need to boil the ravioli before making this dish.
STEP TWO: In a medium skillet, brown the ground beef with garlic and Italian seasoning. Drain excess fat.
STEP THREE: Reserve 1 cup of the spaghetti sauce and set it aside. Add the remaining sauce to the browned ground beef. Stir and heat through.
STEP FOUR: In the bottom of the pan spread ½ cup of the reserved spaghetti sauce.
If some of your frozen ravioli are stuck together you can microwave them for 10 to 15 seconds, enough to pull them apart.
STEP FIVE: Using one-third of the ravioli make a single layer over the sauce.
Count out your ravioli into three piles so you know exactly what you have to work with for each layer.
STEP SIX: Next top with half of the ground beef sauce mixture.
STEP SEVEN: Next, sprinkle with ½ cup of mozzarella cheese.
STEP EIGHT: Next, make a single layer of the ravioli over the cheese.
STEP NINE: Add the rest of the ground beef on top of the ravioli.
STEP TEN: Sprinkle ½ cup of mozzarella cheese.
STEP ELEVEN: Place the remaining ravioli on top.
STEP TWELVE: Top with remaining ½ cup of reserved spaghetti sauce.
STEP THIRTEEN: Sprinkle with the remaining one cup of mozzarella cheese on top of the sauce.
STEP FOURTEEN: Bake the casserole at 350°F for 30 to 40 minutes or until cheese is completely melted and the casserole is bubbling around the edges.
You can also bake this covered in foil if you’d like — just make sure to remove it at the end so the cheese has a chance to get browned a little on top!
STEP FIFTEEN: Garnish and serve.
HOW TO SERVE
IN THE FRIDGE: Store leftovers of this easy dinner recipe in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
IN THE FREEZER: Freeze individual slices of leftovers for quick and simple meals later. You can warm them up in the microwave later.
MAKE-AHEAD: You can assemble this ravioli lasagna bake ahead of time and freeze it until you are ready to serve it. Prep it and store in a throw-away foil container (perfect for freezer cooking or giving away) or use a freezer-safe casserole dish with a lid or wrap tightly with foil. If you’re reheating an entire pan of lasagna, you’ll want to bake for about 20 minutes (or until heated through) at 350°F.
This easy ravioli lasagna (sometimes called million dollar lasagna) is the perfect quick meal for weeknight dinners. There is almost no prep and the result is an amazing, cheesy, homemade meal that is full of flavor with only a handful of staple ingredients.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This easy lasagna recipe would be delicious with either type of ravioli.
Instead of the ravioli, you could use meat or cheese tortellini.
You can make this dish ahead of time. Either assemble it and store it in the fridge the day before you plan to bake it or assemble it, cover and freeze for baking later.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 24 ounces spaghetti sauce divided
- 25 ounces square frozen ravioli divided
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese divided
- chopped parsley optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium skillet brown the ground beef with the garlic and Italian seasoning. Drain excess fat.
- Reserve 1 cup of the spaghetti sauce and set it aside. Add the remaining sauce to the browned ground beef. Stir and heat through.
- In the bottom of a 9×13-inch pan spread ½ cup of the reserved spaghetti sauce.
- Now begin the layering. First using one-third of the ravioli make a single layer over the sauce.
- Top with half of the ground beef.
- Sprinkle with ½ cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Make a single layer of the ravioli over the cheese.
- Top with the rest of the ground beef.
- Sprinkle ½ cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Place the final one-third of the ravioli on top.
- Top with remaining ½ cup of reserved spaghetti sauce.
- Sprinkle with the remaining one cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake the casserole at 350°F for 30 to 40 minutes or until cheese is completely melted and the casserole is bubbling around the edges.
- Garnish and serve.