November 17, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
This chaffle recipe – cheese + waffle – is the latest for everyone who loves the keto craze! This easy, cheesy, low-carb meal will satisfy your hunger, and all you need is mozzarella cheese and a few eggs!
This recipe, featuring shredded mozzarella and eggs as its key ingredients, delivers a savory and delicious experience.
The mozzarella contributes a creamy, tangy richness while forming a crispy outer layer, and the eggs bind everything together with a subtle, eggy flavor.
You will need:
- 2½ cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 5 large eggs
Substitutions And Additions
MOZZARELLA CHEESE: If you prefer a different shredded cheese, consider using provolone, pepper jack, cheddar cheese, or even a combination of cheeses.
Each cheese will bring its unique taste to this easy chaffle recipe, adding a different dimension to the flavor profile.
Keep in mind that the texture and melting properties may vary slightly with different cheeses.
SPICES: Experiment with various spices to customize the chaffle’s flavor.
For a Mexican twist, add a pinch of chili powder and cumin.
If you enjoy Mediterranean flavors, try a combination of oregano, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper flakes.
Adjust the spice level to your preference, but remember that a little goes a long way, so start with a small amount and taste as you go.
JALAPEÑOS: If you enjoy some heat, finely diced jalapeños can bring a spicy kick to your chaffle.
Add as much or as little as you like, adjusting the spiciness to your preference. Be cautious not to make it too spicy if you’re sensitive to heat.
ONIONS: If you enjoy the sweet and savory flavor of caramelized onions, sauté them until golden brown and add them to the chaffle batter.
Caramelized onions can lend a wonderful depth of flavor to your chaffle.
How To Make This Chaffle Recipe
Follow our step-by-step instructions to whip up this simple batter and turn it into delicious waffles.
STEP ONE: First, make sure your waffle maker is nice and warm.
You can use any waffle iron you want, but we recommend the Dash Mini waffle maker for the best chaffles. Make perfect-sized chaffles in this non-stick mini waffle iron that sits perfectly on any kitchen counter.
STEP TWO: Whisk together mozzarella and eggs in a medium bowl.
To add a bit more flavor, stir in two tablespoons of parmesan cheese, ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder, and ¼ teaspoon of Italian seasoning into the mixture.
STEP THREE: Spray your waffle maker with non-stick cooking spray for easy cleanup.
STEP FOUR: Pour one-third of your chaffle batter into the waffle iron.
Make sure the chaffle mixture is heavier towards the middle and lighter around the edges so it doesn’t spill or overflow.
STEP FIVE: Cook the chaffle for three to five minutes until it is golden brown.
STEP SIX: Repeat all steps two more times for a total of three yummy cheese chaffles!
STEP SEVEN: Serve hot or warm.
How To Serve
Serve your chaffles as a classic breakfast option by topping them with a pat of butter and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Chaffles are quite versatile when it comes to storage options
MAKE AHEAD: If you want to get a head start on your meal prep, you can make the chaffle batter ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
When you’re ready to cook, simply give the batter a quick stir and pour it into your waffle maker.
This can save you some time on busy mornings or when you need a quick snack.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store leftovers in the refrigerator in a sealed food storage container for one to two days.
IN THE FREEZER: Store leftover keto waffle in a freezer bag (two per bag) with a piece of parchment paper separating each one.
REHEATING: To reheat chaffles, you have a few options:
- TOASTER OR OVEN: This method is great for restoring crispiness. Just toast the chaffles until they’re heated through and reach your desired level of crispiness.
- MICROWAVE: While not the best for maintaining crispiness, the microwave works if you’re in a hurry. Heat them in 20 to 30-second intervals, checking until they’re warm throughout.
- AIR FRYER: If you have one, the air fryer is an excellent choice. It can quickly reheat chaffles, making them crispy on the outside and warm on the inside.
Why We Love This Recipe
QUICK AND EASY: This easy recipe is incredibly simple and quick to make. With just two simple ingredients and a waffle maker, you can have a delicious meal or snack ready in no time.
LOW-CARB AND KETO-FRIENDLY: If you’re following a low-carb or keto diet, chaffles are an excellent option. They’re made without traditional flour, so they’re carb-friendly and can be part of a low-carb lifestyle.
SATISFYING AND COMFORTING: Chaffles have a crispy exterior and a tender, cheesy interior, creating a satisfying texture that’s reminiscent of classic waffles.
This keto-friendly two-ingredient chaffle is filled with yummy scrambled eggs and ooey-gooey mozzarella cheese. Warm, fluffy, and satisfying – this is the perfect low-carb bread or waffle substitute.
Frequently Asked Questions
While a waffle maker is the most common tool for making chaffles, you can experiment with making “chaffle pancakes” in a pan on the stovetop. Pour the batter into pancake shapes and cook them like you would regular pancakes.
Sweet chaffles are a delightful dessert option. Add sweeteners like erythritol or stevia to the batter and top with whipped cream, berries, or even ice cream for a dessert-like treat.
Chaffles freeze well. After they’ve cooled, stack them with parchment paper between each chaffle and store them in a freezer-safe container or bag. They can stay good for up to a month.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Donut Breakfast Sandwich
- Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Breakfast Crescent Ring
- Biscuit and Gravy Breakfast Casserole
- Easter Bunny Cake
- Pinwheel Sandwiches
- 2½ cups shredded mozzarella
- 5 large eggs
- Heat the waffle maker.
- Whisk together the mozzarella and eggs.
- Spray the waffle maker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour ⅓ of the mixture into the waffle maker.
- Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until chaffle is golden brown.
- Repeat steps two more times for a total of three waffles.
- Serve hot or warm.
- You can use any waffle iron you want, but we recommend the Dash Mini waffle maker for the best chaffles. Make perfect-sized chaffles in this non-stick mini waffle iron that sits perfectly on any kitchen counter.
- To add a bit more flavor, stir in two tablespoons of parmesan cheese, ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder, and ¼ teaspoon of Italian seasoning into the mixture.
- Make sure the chaffle mixture is heavier towards the middle and lighter around the edges so it doesn’t spill or overflow.