Last updated on
Table of Contents
Easy, hearty, and delicious, this simple keto chili is ready in less than an hour. Loaded with ground beef, Italian sausage, bacon, cheese, veggies, tomatoes and seasoning, you’ll love this low-carb meal — you can even make it extra spicy if you’d like!
What is Keto Chili?
Keto chili is a chili that is made according to the keto diet. Foods that fit the keto diet have a very low carb content and high fat to promote a metabolic state of ketosis. It’s a diet that many use to lose weight. This means that the usual ingredients in traditional chili that have a higher carb content are replaced completely with high-fat ingredients.
Beans are not recommended on the keto diet because they have a very high carb content. For this recipe, we’re leaving out the beans and adding extra meat and cheese.
Keto Chili Ingredients
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground hot Italian sausage
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, diced and de-seeded to taste (optional)
- 15.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 15.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth, sodium-free
- 2-3 tbsp chili seasoning
- 4 slices of bacon + 1 slice of bacon, for garnish
- 1 ½- 2 cups cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
PRO TIP: Many store-bought vegetable broths have sugar added to them. I have found that the sodium-free broths do not have sugar added to them, so I recommend using this or using beef bullion.
MEAT: Instead of the ground beef, you can use ground chicken, ground pork, or ground turkey in this recipe.
HEAT: You can add more seasoning if you like it super spicy or make it milder by leaving out the jalapeno.
VEG: You can add cauliflower in as well. I love using the finely diced cauliflower rice from the produce section.
How to Make Keto Chili
PRO TIP: You can also make this recipe in your slow cooker. After you’ve pan-fried all the ingredients like the first half of the instructions, simply move the cooked ingredients to the crockpot and cook on low for 4 hours.
STEP ONE: In a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat, cook bacon until very crispy. Roughly chop bacon and set aside.
STEP TWO: Add together to your pot, the ground beef, Italian sausage, bell pepper, celery, onion, garlic, and jalapeno — and cook until the meat is no longer pink and the onions are soft. Drain grease from this mixture.
STEP THREE: Once drained, add in diced and crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, chili seasoning, and salt and pepper. Mix well and bring chili to a boil.
STEP FOUR: Once boiling, simmer for 20-30 minutes. Once ready to serve, stir in bacon and, one handful at a time, cheese until fully incorporated.
Storing this recipe
IN THE FREEZER: You freeze keto chili the same way you freeze regular chili. Just let it cool and split the chili among your freezer bags. Then just pop it in the freezer. I like using larger freezer bags and laying them flat so I have more storage space.
REHEATING: You can reheat this chili recipe on the stovetop or in the crockpot.
This homemade keto chili is an easy dinner to make from scratch — and it’s absolutely delicious! Before serving, we love topping it with crumbled bacon, avocado, cheese and sour cream.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 1 lbs ground hot Italian sausage
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno diced and de-seeded to taste
- 1 15.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth sodium-free
- ½ packet chili seasoning about 2-3 Tbs
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 slice of bacon for garnish
- 1 ½- 2 cups cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat, cook bacon until very crispy. Roughly chop bacon and set aside.
- Cook together ground beef, Italian sausage, bell pepper, celery, onion, garlic, and jalapeno until cooked through. Drain grease from meat and vegetable mixture.
- Once drained, add in diced and crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, chili seasoning, and salt and pepper. Mix well and bring chili to a boil.
- Once boiling, simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Once ready to serve, stir in bacon and, one handful at a time, cheese until fully incorporated. Garnish with crumbled bacon, avocado, cheese, and sour cream.