Easy, hearty, and delicious, this simple keto chili is ready in less than an hour. Loaded with ground beef, Italian sausage, bacon, cheese, veggies, tomatoes and seasoning, you’ll love this low-carb meal — you can even make it extra spicy if you’d like!
What is Keto Chili?
Keto chili is a chili that is made according to the keto diet. Foods that fit the keto diet have a very low carb content and high fat to promote a metabolic state of ketosis. It’s a diet that many use to lose weight. This means that the usual ingredients in traditional chili that have a higher carb content are replaced completely with high-fat ingredients.
Beans are not recommended on the keto diet because they have a very high carb content. For this recipe, we’re leaving out the beans and adding extra meat and cheese.
Keto Chili Ingredients
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground hot Italian sausage
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, diced and de-seeded to taste (optional)
- 15.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 15.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth, sodium-free
- 2-3 tbsp chili seasoning
- 4 slices of bacon + 1 slice of bacon, for garnish
- 1 ½- 2 cups cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
PRO TIP: Many store-bought vegetable broths have sugar added to them. I have found that the sodium-free broths do not have sugar added to them, so I recommend using this or using beef bullion.
MEAT: Instead of the ground beef, you can use ground chicken, ground pork, or ground turkey in this recipe.
HEAT: You can add more seasoning if you like it super spicy or make it milder by leaving out the jalapeno.
VEG: You can add cauliflower in as well. I love using the finely diced cauliflower rice from the produce section.
How to Make Keto Chili
PRO TIP: You can also make this recipe in your slow cooker. After you’ve pan-fried all the ingredients like the first half of the instructions, simply move the cooked ingredients to the crockpot and cook on low for 4 hours.
STEP ONE: In a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat, cook bacon until very crispy. Roughly chop bacon and set aside.
STEP TWO: Add together to your pot, the ground beef, Italian sausage, bell pepper, celery, onion, garlic, and jalapeno — and cook until the meat is no longer pink and the onions are soft. Drain grease from this mixture.
STEP THREE: Once drained, add in diced and crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, chili seasoning, and salt and pepper. Mix well and bring chili to a boil.
STEP FOUR: Once boiling, simmer for 20-30 minutes. Once ready to serve, stir in bacon and, one handful at a time, cheese until fully incorporated.
Storing this recipe
IN THE FREEZER: You freeze keto chili the same way you freeze regular chili. Just let it cool and split the chili among your freezer bags. Then just pop it in the freezer. I like using larger freezer bags and laying them flat so I have more storage space.
REHEATING: You can reheat this chili recipe on the stovetop or in the crockpot.
This homemade keto chili is an easy dinner to make from scratch — and it’s absolutely delicious! Before serving, we love topping it with crumbled bacon, avocado, cheese and sour cream.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 1 lbs ground hot Italian sausage
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno diced and de-seeded to taste
- 1 15.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth sodium-free
- ½ packet chili seasoning about 2-3 Tbs
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 slice of bacon for garnish
- 1 ½- 2 cups cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat, cook bacon until very crispy. Roughly chop bacon and set aside.
- Cook together ground beef, Italian sausage, bell pepper, celery, onion, garlic, and jalapeno until cooked through. Drain grease from meat and vegetable mixture.
- Once drained, add in diced and crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, chili seasoning, and salt and pepper. Mix well and bring chili to a boil.
- Once boiling, simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Once ready to serve, stir in bacon and, one handful at a time, cheese until fully incorporated. Garnish with crumbled bacon, avocado, cheese, and sour cream.