Never Think About What to Make for Dinner for the Next Two Months with My Lazy Cooking Bundle
Cauliflower fried rice is a great alternative to regular fried rice for a number of special diets since cauliflower is vegan, low carb, paleo diet friendly, keto diet friendly, and a whole30.
Basically, it’s just cauliflower cut into small pieces in the shape of rice. Most supermarkets sell frozen versions of cauliflower rice nowadays but you can also make a homemade version by simply placing small amounts of cauliflower in a food processor. Serve it with these delicious sweet and sour meatballs!
Cauliflower Fried Rice
For me and my family, I like to substitute cauliflower rice for regular rice when I can. (Plus, if I make my own cauliflower rice, I get to brag that the entire dish is made from scratch!)
While it looks and acts like rice, it doesn’t have that soft and neutral taste that we all know and love about rice. At the end of the day, cauliflower is still a vegetable and it still has an earthy taste.
You might be able to get away with tricking your kids by switching some of their normal favorite rice dishes but there are a few things you should think about before trying to slip one past the kiddos.
Cauliflower Fried Rice Ingredients
This recipe is very versatile (which is why I like it so much!) I can make this recipe with basically whatever I have on hand or change it up depending on who I am cooking it for!
The basics of what you need are quite simple. You’ll need riced cauliflower, of course, some frozen (or fresh) vegetables, eggs, olive oil, soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and some salt and pepper.
You could easily take out the eggs, add some tofu and make it vegan friendly!
Alternatively, if you have big meat eaters, you could add chicken, beef or pork. You can even add shrimp.
How to Make Cauliflower Fried Rice
It’s really quite easy to fry or sauté cauliflower rice. Think of it like a stir fry.
First, heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. When it’s warm and shimmering, add the cauliflower rice.
Stir and mix the cauliflower rice with the olive oil. Spread it into an even layer in the pan and let it cook for about 3-4 minutes. Stir the cauliflower rice with a spatula and make a new layer then cook for about 3-4 more minutes.
Continue cooking 1-2 minutes longer stirring constantly until moisture is gone and it is your desired consistency.
Add the frozen (or fresh) veggies to the pan. I usually use whatever I have on hand, usually carrots, broccoli, mushrooms or bok choy.
When the vegetables are cooked through, make a well in the middle of the pan and add the eggs.
Scramble the eggs while they are in the well and continue to scramble them until they are just cooked through.Then stir them through the rest of the dish and continue cooking everything until the rice is slightly crispy. Toss in my seasonings and give it another stir.
Finally, take the pan off the heat and add in the soy sauce. Top it all off with some thinly sliced scallions.
Tips for Cooking
- You can’t boil cauliflower rice like you would normal rice. In a cold dish like a salad, you don’t even need to cook it at all. For other dishes, it works best to quickly sauté it.
- Don’t sauté it for too long. This will make your cauliflower rice soggy, and nobody wants that.
- Try to eat cauliflower rice the same day you make it. Not only does cauliflower rice start to soften after a few days in the fridge, but it also starts to smell! If your kids are anything like mine, you won’t even be able to open the container without them complaining!
- Don’t use too much soy sauce. Since cauliflower rice is not a grain, it doesn’t absorb liquids the same way rice does. If you use too much sauce or dressing, it’ll just pool at the bottom. It’s best to start with less and work your way up.
How to Freeze
Unfortunately, like most recipes with frozen veggies, it’s not a great meal to freeze. The main problem is that the reheated version turns out soggy and watery and doesn’t retain the flavors from the spices and soy sauce.
My best suggestion is to make your cauliflower rice and freeze it before it’s cooked. Then on the day you want to have cauliflower fried rice for dinner, you just have to toss everything in a pan and saute it! One pot meal, done!
More recipes you’ll love
- Classic Meatloaf Recipe
- Instant Pot Pot Roast
- Buffalo Meatballs
- Cheesy Pull Apart Bread
- Cheesy Potato Casserole
Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 15 oz bag of riced cauliflower
- 10 oz bag of frozen vegetables
- 6 eggs
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion salt I used onion powder
- Heat your oil in a pan until it's warm and simmering, then add your cauliflower rice and mix. Spread into an even layer and let cook for about 3-4 minutes. Stir and let continue cooking for 5-6 more minutes until moisture is gone.
- Add your veggies and cook through, then make a well in the middle of the pan and add the eggs.
- Scramble the eggs as they cook, then mix into the rest of the dish. Add your seasonings and give another stir.
- Top with soy sauce before serving.