October 24, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Instead of ordering your favorite takeout, you have to try this shrimp fried rice recipe at home. It’s a tasty and versatile dinner that is quick and easy to make by frying rice, veggies, and shrimp all in one pan along with a flavorful sauce.
Shrimp Fried Rice Ingredients
- 1 pound of uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 teaspoons of vegetable oil, divided into 1 teaspoon and 2 teaspoons
- ¼ large Vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 cup of frozen peas and carrots
- 3 cups of cooked jasmine rice
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon of sesame oil
- Green onions
- Cilantro, optional
If you are watching your salt intake, you can use low sodium soy sauce in this recipe.
Substitutions And Additions
RICE: This recipe calls for jasmine rice, but you could also use brown rice or white rice. Whatever you have on hand will work.
You could also use cauliflower rice as a substitute. Leftover cooked rice is a great time-saver if you want to avoid making a fresh batch of rice.
PROTEIN: You can get very creative with the protein in your fried rice. For the eggs, you could use fresh eggs or liquid eggs. You can leave the protein out altogether and substitute it for a vegetarian-friendly option like pineapple or tofu.
You could also opt for chicken, beef, or pork in place of the shrimp. The options are endless!
VEGETABLES: You can mix up the veggies in this recipe to include whichever ones you love. You could use either frozen or fresh vegetables. Some other ideas for what to include are broccoli, sweet corn, bell pepper (any color), water chestnuts, yellow onions, or bean sprouts.
SPICE: If you like a little bit of a kick in your Asian cuisine, you can sprinkle red pepper flakes over the top of your fried rice to add a bit of spiciness.
How To Make This Shrimp Fried Rice Recipe
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
This is a great recipe to make if you happen to have day-old rice from another meal.
STEP ONE: In a large skillet or wok, add 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil and the raw shrimp and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, seasoning with a little bit of salt and pepper and flipping halfway through.
Don’t overcook! When finished, set the shrimp aside but leave the oil/remnants in the pan.
One of the secrets of delicious fried rice is a nice hot wok and plenty of oil, so your ingredients don’t burn to the bottom.
STEP TWO: Add another 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil, plus the onion and garlic. Cook until onions are soft, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir occasionally to keep the garlic from burning.
STEP THREE: Add in the frozen peas and carrots and cook until they are partially thawed, about 1 to 2 minutes.
STEP FOUR: Turn the heat up to medium-high and add the cooked rice. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes until the rice is nice and hot and starts to brown.
Reduce the heat and the rice to the sides of the pan, making space for the eggs.
STEP FIVE: Crack the eggs into the middle of the pan and scramble. Once the eggs are cooked, stir them into the rice.
STEP SIX: Add the cooked shrimp back to the pan.
STEP SEVEN: Mix the soy sauce and sesame oil together and pour over the rice mixture. Stir until the rice is coated with sauce.
STEP EIGHT: Top with chopped green onions and/or cilantro if you’d like.
How To Serve This Shrimp And Rice Recipe
IN THE FRIDGE: Put the rice in an airtight container and then place it in the fridge. The trick to making it taste as fresh as it did the first day is to add a bit of liquid.
When reheating, either on the stove or in the microwave, simply add a few tablespoons of water or broth for every cup of rice you’re heating.
Cover when heating to create a steaming effect in the bowl or pan, and stir often.
IN THE FREEZER: Freeze fried rice in portions to make it easy to defrost and use. Once it is cooled, pop the portions in a freezer bag and use them within 3 months. Defrost overnight, then pop in the skillet to heat up.
Next time you’re ready to order takeout from one of your favorite Chinese restaurants, give this delicious shrimp fried rice recipe a try instead. It’s such an easy dinner to make and allows for loads of creativity with the ingredients. It’s sure to hit the spot every time.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This easy fried rice recipe freezes well. Cool and place in an airtight container for easy reheating later.
You can make the rice whichever way you usually cook rice before adding it to this dish.
You can use either day-old rice or fresh rice in this easy recipe. This recipe is a great way to use leftovers from a previous meal.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Bang Bang Shrimp
- Bang Bang Shrimp Pasta
- Spicy Garlic Shrimp
- Cajun Shrimp
- French Onion Beef
- Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Spanish Rice
- Brown Sugar Grilled Pineapple
- Chicken and Shrimp Tacos
- Beef Stroganoff
- Simple Sauteed Vegetables
- Better Than Take Out Fried Rice
- Sticky Sesame Cauliflower
- General Tso Chicken
- Broccoli Apple Salad
- Red Beans and Rice
- Teriyaki Chicken Skewers
- Jiffy Corn Casserole
- Hamburger Rice Casserole
- Cream of Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
- Broccoli Salad
- Chicken Cacciatore
- Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Stuffed Shells
Shrimp Fried Rice
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided into 1 teaspoon and 2 teaspoons
- ¼ large Vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 3 cups cooked jasmine rice
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- green onions, optional
- cilantro, optional
- In a large skillet or wok, add 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil and shrimp and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, seasoning with a little salt and pepper and flipping halfway through. Don't overcook. Set shrimp aside but leave oil/remnants in the pan.
- Add another 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil, plus the onion and garlic. Cook until onions are soft, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir occasionally to keep the garlic from burning.
- Add peas and carrots and cook until partially thawed, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high and add the cooked rice. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes until the rice is nice and hot and starts to brown. Reduce heat and push rice to the sides of the pan, making a hole for the eggs.
- Crack the eggs into the middle of the pan and scramble. Once eggs are cooked, stir them into the rice.
- Add cooked shrimp back to the pan.
- Mix soy sauce and sesame oil together and pour over rice. Stir until rice is evenly coated with sauce.
- Top with chopped green onions and/or cilantro, optional.
- If you are watching your salt intake, you can use low sodium soy sauce in this recipe.
- This is a great recipe to make if you happen to have day-old rice from another meal.
- One of the secrets of delicious fried rice is a nice hot wok and plenty of oil, so your veggies don’t burn to the bottom.