Last updated on
Table of Contents
Instead of ordering your favorite take out, you have to try this shrimp fried rice recipe. It’s a tasty dinner that is quick and easy to make with jasmine rice, green onions, and frozen veggies. We make our shrimp fried rice with egg, but this recipe is so versatile and could be made with a wide variety of ingredients.
SHRIMP FRIED RICE INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups of cooked jasmine rice
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- ¼ large Vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 cup of frozen peas and carrots
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon of sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- Green onions
- Cilantro, optional
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Rice: This recipe calls for the use of jasmine rice, but you could also use brown rice. Whatever you have on hand will work. You could also use cauliflower rice as a substitute.
Protein: You can get very creative with the protein in your fried rice. For the eggs, you could use fresh eggs or liquid eggs. You can leave the protein out altogether and substitute for a vegetarian-friendly option like pineapple or tofu. You could also opt for chicken, beef, or pork in place of the shrimp. The options are endless!
Vegetables: You can mix up the veggies in this recipe to include whichever ones you love. You could use either fresh or frozen vegetables. Some other ideas for what to include are broccoli, sweet corn, bell peppers (any color), water chestnuts, yellow onions, or sprouts.
Spice: If you like a little bit of a kick in your Asian cuisine, you can sprinkle red pepper flakes over the top of your fried rice to add a bit of spiciness!
HOW TO MAKE THIS SHRIMP FRIED RICE RECIPE
STEP ONE: In a large skillet or wok add 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil and shrimp then cook for 2 to 3 minutes, seasoning with a little bit of salt and pepper and flipping halfway through. Don’t overcook! When finished, set the shrimp aside but leave the oil/remnants in the pan.
STEP TWO: Add another 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil, plus onion and garlic. Cook until onions are soft, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir occasionally to keep the garlic from burning.
STEP THREE: Add in the frozen peas and carrots and cook until they are partially thawed, about 1 to 2 minutes.
STEP FOUR: Turn the heat up to medium-high and add cooked rice. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes until the rice is nice and hot and starts to brown. Reduce the heat and the rice to the sides of the pan, making a hole for the eggs.
STEP FIVE: Crack the eggs into the middle of the pan and scramble. Once the eggs are cooked, stir them into the rice.
STEP SEVEN: Mix soy sauce and sesame oil together and pour over rice. Stir until the rice is coated with sauce.
STEP EIGHT: Top with chopped green onions and/or cilantro. This step is optional.
IN THE FRIDGE: Put the rice in an airtight container and then place it in the fridge. The trick to making it taste as fresh as it did the first day is to add a bit of liquid. When reheating, either on the stove or in the microwave, simply add in a few tablespoons of water or broth for every cup of rice you’re heating. Cover when heating to create a steaming effect in the bowl or pan and stir often.
Next time you’re ready to order take out from your favorite Chinese restaurant, give this delicious shrimp fried rice recipe a try instead. It’s so easy to make and allows for loads of creativity with the ingredients. It’s sure to hit the spot every time.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Shrimp Fried Rice
- 1 lb medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 3 cups cooked jasmine rice
- 3 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 large Vidalia onion chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- green onions optional
- cilantro optional
- In a large skillet or wok add 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil and shrimp then cook for 2 to 3 minutes, seasoning with a little salt and pepper and flipping halfway through. Don't overcook. Set shrimp aside but leave oil/remnants in the pan.
- Add other 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil, plus onion and garlic. Cook until onions are soft, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir occasionally to keep the garlic from burning.
- Add peas and carrots and cook until partially thawed, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high and add cooked rice. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes until rice is nice and hot and starts to brown. Reduce heat and push rice to the sides of the pan, making a hole for the eggs.
- Crack the eggs into the middle of the pan and scramble. Once eggs are cooked, stir them into the rice.
- Add cooked shrimp back to the pan.
- Mix soy sauce and sesame oil together and pour over rice. Stir until rice is evenly coated with sauce.
- Top with chopped green onions and/or cilantro, optional.