May 9, 2023Review Recipe
Spicy Garlic Shrimp
Table of Contents
This spicy garlic shrimp recipe is delicious, flavorful, and perfect for hectic days when you want a quick weeknight dinner. Pan-fried shrimp is so easy to make and the spicy seasoning that coats will make your taste buds come alive.
Spicy Garlic Shrimp Ingredients
- 1 pound of jumbo shrimp
- 3 tablespoons of salted butter
- 1 clove of fresh garlic, minced
- 1 serrano pepper, sliced
- 2 teaspoons of fresh ginger, grated or chopped
- ⅓ cup of sweet chili sauce
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 tablespoon of orange juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
You can use frozen shrimp as it is easy to have on hand in your freezer. To thaw the shrimp quickly, place them in a bowl of cold water for about 20 minutes.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
JUMBO SHRIMP: Nice big shrimp are the best, but they can be pricey. You can use any size of shrimp or prawns in this easy shrimp recipe, just reduce the total cooking time if you use smaller ones.
SALTED BUTTER: Unsalted butter will be fine. You can always add a pinch of salt if desired. Alternatively, you may choose to substitute the butter with olive oil.
FRESH GINGER: Fresh ginger is definitely recommended for this recipe, but dried ginger would work in a pinch.
SERRANO PEPPER: If you don’t have a serrano pepper, you can use chili peppers or jalapeños. If you like spicy food, leave the seeds in the serrano pepper. Otherwise, remove them for a little bit of a milder taste.
GARNISHES: Top your spicy shrimp with sesame seeds or sliced green onion for bonus presentation points.
How To Make This Spicy Garlic Shrimp Recipe
STEP ONE: Prepare your fresh or thawed raw shrimp by peeling and deveining them as needed. You can leave the tails on or take them off according to your preference. Season with salt and pepper.
STEP TWO: Melt one tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shrimp and cook for one minute on each side until partially cooked. Remove from the pan and set aside.
STEP THREE: Add two more tablespoons of butter to the pan and melt. Stir in the garlic, serrano pepper, ginger, sweet chili sauce, lime juice, and orange juice. Cook for three minutes, stirring occasionally until the sauce thickens slightly.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
If you like spicy food, leave the seeds in the serrano pepper. Otherwise, remove them for a milder taste.
STEP FOUR: Place shrimp back into the pan and cook for one or two more minutes, or until cooked through. Garnish and serve.
It’s easy to overcook the shrimp and this will make them rubbery. Shrimp cooks fast and will very quickly turn from a dull gray color to a vibrant pink and white. As soon as this happens, remove them from the pan.
How To Serve
This spicy garlicky shrimp recipe is a delicious dish for a quick weeknight dinner. They cook up fast and are tasty served on top of fried rice, zucchini noodles, or pasta. Add garlic bread or roasted vegetables on the side for a yummy meal.
We also have other shrimp recipes to try. Check out our bang bang shrimp and shrimp fried rice.
MORE SHRIMP RECIPES
IN THE FRIDGE: Cooked shrimp will keep for three days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
IN THE FREEZER: Cooked shrimp can be stored in the freezer for up to three months and reheated from frozen.
We wholeheartedly believe that this is the best shrimp recipe you’ll ever taste. Hot, spicy, and flavorful, this classic Creole-inspired dish is perfect as an appetizer, a main course with rice or noodles for an easy meal, or to be served on a buffet.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
To cook shrimp on the stove, you will need a skillet and some olive oil or butter. Heat the shrimp over medium heat for a couple of minutes on each side until they are pink and opaque. Serve immediately to avoid overcooking.
Shrimp cooking times depend on the size of the shrimp and how many you have in the pan. They should be cooked until the flesh is completely pink and opaque. Pan-fried fresh shrimp usually take between three and seven minutes to cook.
It’s easy to overcook the shrimp and this will make them rubbery. Cooked shrimp will very quickly turn from a dull gray color to a vibrant pink and white. As soon as this happens, remove them from the pan.
Yes, you can use frozen shrimp. Just thaw the shrimp and add it to your recipe.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Salmon in Foil
- Thai Noodles
- Broccoli Slaw
- Shrimp Alfredo
- Bang Bang Shrimp Pasta
- Shrimp Dip
- Cajun Shrimp
Spicy Garlic Shrimp
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails on or off
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1 serrano pepper, about ¼ cup, sliced and seeds removed if sensitive to spice
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated or chopped
- ⅓ cup sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, approximately ½ of one lime
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- sesame seeds, optional
- green onions, optional
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet pan over medium heat.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper before adding them to the hot pan.
- Cook one side of the shrimp for 1 minute, flip them over and cook the other side for 1 minute. Take the shrimp out of the pan. They don’t have to be completely cooked at this point. Set shrimp aside.
- Place an additional 2 tablespoons butter into pan and melt.
- Stir in garlic, serrano pepper, ginger, sweet chili sauce, lime juice, and orange juice, and let cook, stirring occasionally, until it thickens slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer shrimp back into the pan and coat the shrimp. Cook shrimp for an additional minute, or until cooked through.
- Take the shrimp off the heat and serve warm with rice or noodles. Garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onions.
- You can use frozen shrimp as it is easy to have on hand in your freezer. To thaw the shrimp quickly, place them in a bowl of cold water for about 20 minutes.
- If you like spicy food, leave the seeds in the serrano pepper. Otherwise, remove them for a milder taste.
- It’s easy to overcook the shrimp and this will make them rubbery. Shrimp cooks fast and will very quickly turn from a dull gray color to a vibrant pink and white. As soon as this happens, remove them from the pan.
jay platte says
this is so easy, simple, and delicious! my family loves it!