May 3, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Broccoli slaw is a fresh new take on classic coleslaw recipes. An easy variation of broccoli salad, this recipe uses broccoli slaw and a creamy homemade dressing that has the perfect amount of sweetness.
Broccoli Slaw Ingredients
- 2 (12-ounce bags) of broccoli slaw
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1¼ cups of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1¼ teaspoons of white sugar
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Substitutions And Additions
ONION: The red onion in this slaw adds great flavor; however, if you’re not a huge fan of onions, they could be left out. You could also use green onions instead for a little bit more of a mild onion flavor.
VEGETABLES: The great thing about broccoli slaw is that you can add additional veggies as you like. For example, I love to add peppers of all colors to this recipe.
DRIED FRUIT AND SEEDS: For a burst of sweetness, you could add dried cranberries or golden raisins to your slaw. You could also toss in crunchy sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds.
How To Make This Broccoli Slaw Recipe
STEP ONE: In a large bowl, add the broccoli slaw and chopped onion. Set aside.
STEP TWO: In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Use a whisk to mix the dressing ingredients together.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
If you love this salad and plan to make it frequently, double or even triple the dressing and store the extras in a mason jar in the fridge for next time.
STEP THREE: Pour the dressing over the broccoli slaw.
STEP FOUR: Use tongs to toss the salad until it is well dressed.
STEP FIVE: Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
STEP SIX: Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until ready to serve. For best results, let the slaw spend as much time soaking up the dressing as possible.
You could make this recipe ahead of time, just store the dressing in a separate jar and add an hour or two before serving.
How To Serve
Serve this creamy broccoli slaw salad with its deliciously crunchy texture the next time you are looking for easy recipes. Add a couple of our other salad recipes for a variety of easy side dishes, including our potato salad and cucumber salad. Choose from any of our yummy entrees, such as beer marinated grilled chicken or fried pork chops.
Broccoli slaw is similar to our classic broccoli salad and is amazing paired with our slow cooker BBQ pulled chicken.
MORE SLAW RECIPES
Storing This Broccoli Coleslaw Recipe
IN THE FRIDGE: The best way to store your tasty broccoli coleslaw is to refrigerate it in an airtight container. Properly stored, homemade broccoli slaw will last for 3 to 5 days in the fridge. It’s also best to store it in the refrigerator between servings to keep it as fresh and crisp as possible.
IN THE FREEZER: You can freeze leftover slaw to extend shelf life, although it is not recommended because this recipe calls for mayonnaise to make the creamy dressing. Mayonnaise does not freeze well and tends to separate when it is thawed. This can leave you with a watery dressing.
This tasty broccoli slaw is a delicious salad with a unique twist on a traditional coleslaw mix. Using crunchy broccoli slaw with a creamy homemade coleslaw dressing makes this cold salad out of this world. Your taste buds will love this fun new way to eat your slaw!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
You should be able to find a bag of broccoli slaw at most grocery stores in the produce section.
You can serve this easy slaw alongside any type of meat entree. Pick a second cold salad, and you will have a full meal.
This easy dish can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Baked Mac and Cheese
- Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Pizza Muffins
- Chinese Chicken Salad
- Elbow Macaroni Pasta Salad
- Pizza Sliders
- Pineapple Coleslaw
- 12 ounces broccoli slaw
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1¼ cups mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, plus 1 teaspoon
- 1¼ teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large mixing bowl, add the broccoli slaw and chopped onion. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Use a whisk to mix together.
- Pour sauce over the broccoli slaw and use tongs to toss the salad until it is well dressed.
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
- If you love this salad and plan to make it frequently, double or even triple the dressing and store the extras in a mason jar in the fridge for next time.
- You could make this recipe ahead of time, just store the dressing in a separate jar and add an hour or two before serving.
- Keep chilled until serving for maximum flavor.
jay platte says
this recipe a perfect side dish!
This is a classic summertime favorite!
This is a really tasty recipe. I had to use red wine vinegar rather than apple cider but it was delicious 🤤
Fresh and yummy!