Never Think About What to Make for Dinner for the Next Two Months with My Lazy Cooking Bundle
Potato salad is a classic summer side dish that goes great with any meal. This potato salad recipe is easy and delicious, with a creamy sauce, crunchy celery, and the perfectly softened potatoes. It’s a summer side salad that everyone will love.
Potato salad is especially great with cooked meat like these Instant Pot Chicken Wings or classic sandwiches like Sloppy Joes. If you’re looking for more side dish recipes, here are a couple of easy summer salads for you to try out, Easy Italian Pasta Salad and Broccoli Salad are both so simple and delicious!
INGREDIENTS FOR POTATO SALAD
You will need:
- 5 pounds golden or red potatoes (do not peel before boiling)
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 2 celery stalks, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 6 eggs, hard boiled, chopped
- 2 cups Miracle Whip, mayonnaise or a half and half combination
- If using only mayonnaise, add 1 tablespoon vinegar
- If using half and half combination, add ¾ teaspoon vinegar
- ½ cup pickle relish
- 1 ½ tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Before chopping, soak and peel onion in cold water for 10 minutes to take away sharpness, if desired.
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Paprika, optional (sprinkled on top)
POTATOES: Golden or red potatoes are best because they are less starchy. Boiling them with skins on makes peeling them easier and also keeps them from becoming mushy.
MAYONNAISE/MIRACLE WHIP: Some prefer Miracle Whip, but others will love using mayonnaise instead. Either way, the salad turns out the same as far as creaminess—just make the adjustments listed in the ingredients above. Whatever you decide will work great!
CELERY: If you want to keep the crunchy feature of the celery, but your family doesn’t care for celery, then omit the celery and add chopped dill pickles instead. If doing this you will want to add less of the pickle relish, or omit it completely.
ONIONS: I love adding red onion to my potato salad. It adds some nice color. Yellow onion was used in this recipe. Soaking the onion in water helps to make the onion slightly milder, which would definitely be helpful for a red onion. However, this step is totally optional, depending on your taste preference.
HOW TO MAKE POTATO SALAD
STEP ONE: Place unpeeled potatoes in a pan. Cover with cold water, add 1 tablespoon of Kosher salt, and bring to a boil. Boil gently for 20-25 minutes.
STEP TWO: Drain potatoes, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of vinegar, and allow to cool for 20 to 25 minutes.
STEP THREE: While the potatoes are cooling, chop the celery, prepare the hard boiled eggs, and make the dressing.
STEP FOUR: For the dressing, combine Miracle Whip, pickle relish, yellow mustard, onion, fresh dill, salt, and pepper. Mix everything together until it’s creamy. Set aside.
STEP FIVE: Peel potatoes and coarsely chop them. Add celery, eggs, and dressing. Stir well, but gently! Refrigerate. It is best to make this well ahead of time, even if it’s a day or two before.
STORING THIS RECIPE
In the fridge
The best way to store your potato salad is to refrigerate it in an airtight container. I recommend doing this with any leftover potato salad, as well as in between servings to keep it nice and fresh. As stated above, it’s best to make ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge for a day. Properly stored, homemade potato salad will last for 3 to 5 days.
In the freezer
You could freeze leftover potato salad to extend the shelf life, although I do not recommend this. The ingredients like mayo and celery do not freeze well. The mayonnaise may separate when it thaws out and the celery tends to get mushy.
When preparing for your next barbeque, you have to make this delicious potato salad recipe. This is an easy to make classic summer side dish that will compliment any meal. Potato salad is always a fan favorite with its creamy sauce and perfect crunch. It’s a side dish that’s always sure to hit the spot.
More Side Dish recipes You’Ll Love
- 5 lbs golden or red potatoes do not peel before boiling
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 2 celery stalks chopped (about 1 cup)
- 6 eggs hard boiled, chopped
- 2 cups Miracle Whip, mayonnaise or half and half combination If using only mayonnaise, add 1 tablespoon vinegarIf using a half and half combination, add 3/4 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 cup pickle relish
- 1 1/2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- paprika sprinkled on top (optional)
- Place unpeeled potatoes in a pan. Cover with cold water, add 1 tablespoon of Kosher salt, and bring to a boil. Boil gently for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain potatoes, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of vinegar, and allow to cool for 20 to 25 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooling, chop the celery, prepare the hard boiled eggs, and make the dressing.
- For the dressing, combine Miracle Whip, pickle relish, yellow mustard, onion, fresh dill, salt, and pepper. Mix until creamy. Set aside.
- Peel potatoes and coarsely chop. Add celery, eggs, and dressing. Stir well but gently. Refrigerate. It is best to make this well ahead of time, even if it is the day before.