December 14, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Watergate salad is an easy dessert created by mixing together a packet of pistachio-flavored jello, crushed pineapple, and mini marshmallows. Folded in with creamy whipped topping and finally, topped off with crunchy pecans, the unique texture of this refreshing salad makes it a favorite vintage delight.
Why Do They Call It Watergate Salad?
Before this salad was created, there was a cake named Watergate Cake which also was made with pistachio pudding and had a similar green hue. It is unknown the exact origin of the name.
Some say that a chef at the Watergate Hotel invented it, while others say that a newspaper columnist printed it with that name to gain the attention of the recipe during the presidential scandal.
No matter how the name came to be, we love how easy and delicious this salad is!
Watergate Salad Recipe Ingredients
- 1 large can of crushed pineapple
- 2 boxes of instant pistachio pudding mix
- ½ cup of chopped pecans
- 1½ cups of white mini marshmallows
- Chopped pecans and maraschino cherries for garnish
- 12 ounces of Cool Whip
- OPTIONAL: 1 cup shredded coconut, if desired
Substitutions And Additions
NUTS: While we are using pecans in this classic recipe, you could opt for a different type of nut.
Walnuts are a popular substitute, and almonds go great with pretty much anything.
FRUIT: You can add other canned fruit to the pistachio salad if you’d like. Try mandarin oranges or fruit salad.
CREAM CHEESE: For a thicker dressing, you could mix in cream cheese with the Cool Whip.
How To Make Watergate Salad
STEP ONE: In a large bowl, mix pineapple and dry pudding mix until the mix has completely dissolved and the pineapple is thick.
You can use the pineapple juice to dissolve the pudding mix.
STEP TWO: Stir in the other ingredients, then fold in the whipped topping.
If using shredded coconut, add it in when combining the pecans and mini marshmallows.
STEP THREE: Transfer to a serving bowl and top with chopped pistachios and cherries.
How To Serve This Recipe For Watergate Salad
This classic dessert salad is perfect for a side dish or as a dessert. It is a tasty treat to whip up for family gatherings or special occasions.
Don’t forget to top it off with delicious homemade whipped cream.
This simple salad tastes even better if you can let it chill for a couple hours before serving.
How To Store A Pistachio Salad Recipe
MAKE AHEAD: You can most definitely make this easy Watergate salad recipe ahead of time.
In fact, I recommend making it the night before you plan to serve it. That way, it can sit in the refrigerator, and the flavors can blend together.
It also allows the marshmallows to soften up a bit.
IN THE FRIDGE: Be sure to store your pistachio dessert salad in the fridge in an airtight container. It will stay good in the fridge for two to three days.
IN THE FREEZER: You can freeze pistachio fluff salad, and it will keep for about three months.
Be aware that the texture of the marshmallows won’t be the same once they’ve thawed out. Since this is such an easy recipe to make, it’s best to make it fresh.
Another fun idea is to use your leftover salad to make Watergate popsicles, using a popsicle mold.
You can also spread it in a baking dish and scoop it up like ice cream, once it freezes for a yummy twist.
Creamy Watergate salad, often called pistachio pineapple delight or green goddess salad, is so delicious and easy to make. With its pistachio and pineapple flavors, mixed with creamy whipped topping, and topped off with crunchy pecans, this retro dessert is a winner every time. This light and refreshing dessert salad is a great summer side.
PISTACHIO SALAD FAQs
This simple recipe can be frozen, but note that the texture of the marshmallows will likely change once thawed.
It is actually best to make this vintage recipe ahead of time. It gives the salad time to let all the flavors mingle and combine together for an even tastier green fluff salad.
Pistachio pudding is a creamy jello pudding that is made with milk and has small pieces of pistachio nuts in it. The pudding tends to be a light green color.
Jello pistachio pudding has pistachios and sometimes small pieces of almonds as well.
There is not a clear answer as to why it is called Watergate salad. Some believe it is named after Watergate cake which is similarly made with pistachio pudding. Others believe it was created by a chef at the Watergate hotel. Some even believe that the newspaper columnist that printed it gave it the name to gain attention to the recipe during the political scandal.
More Easy Dessert Recipes You’ll Love
- No Bake Cookies
- Chocolate Lasagna
- Peanut Butter Pie
- No Bake Eclair Cake
- Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies
- Dole Whip
- Pistachio Salad
- Tropical Cheesecake Fruit Salad
- Margarita Popsicles
- Pineapple Cookies
- Peach Pretzel Salad
- Lemon Fluff
- Peanut Butter Fluff
- Dole Popsicles
- Root Beer Popsicles
- Banana Split Fluff
- Pineapple Casserole
- Velveeta Hamburger Cheese Dip
- Best Fried Rice Recipe
- Recipe for Strawberry Jello Pie
- Popular Storybook Characters
- Graham Cracker Pineapple Dessert
- Cream Cheese Cheddar Cheese Dip
- Pistachio Pie
- Overnight Fruit Salad
- Pudding Fruit Salad
- Mandarin Orange Pretzel Salad
- Fuji Apple Panera Salad
- Cream Cheese Mints
- Pineapple Cake
- Strawberry Banana Cheesecake Salad
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
Recipe For Watergate Salad
- 1 large can crushed pineapple
- 2 boxes pistachio pudding mix
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1½ cups white mini marshmallows
- chopped pecans and maraschino cherries, for garnish
- 1 cup shredded coconut, if desired
- 12 ounces whipped topping
- In a large bowl, combine the pudding mix and pineapple until the mix has completely dissolved, and the pineapple mixture has thickened.
- Stir in chopped pecans and mini marshmallows, then fold in whipped topping.
- Transfer to serving bowl or glass and top with chopped pistachios and cherries.
- If using shredded coconut, add in when combining pecans and mini marshmallows.
- You can use the juice from the pineapple to dissolve the pudding mix.
- This simple salad tastes even better if you can let it chill for a couple of hours before serving.