Never Think About What to Make for Dinner for the Next Two Months with My Lazy Cooking Bundle
This baked beans recipe gives you an easy way to make flavorful baked beans in the oven, using classic ingredients like bbq sauce and bacon. You can’t go wrong with this hearty, homemade side dish. The sweet and smoky flavor is so good, it’ll taste like they were made completely from scratch!
Wondering what goes well with baked beans? We have you covered! These recipes for Crockpot Ranch Porkchops and Sloppy Joes are both so simple and make the perfect pair with homemade baked beans. If you plan to make the baked beans on the grill, I recommend trying out this Beer Marinated Grilled Chicken!
INGREDIENTS FOR BAKED BEANS
You will need:
- 4 or 5 slices of bacon, cooked until just brown (see instructions below)
- ½ cup onions, chopped
- ½ cup of BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray’s)
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ½ cup molasses
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 can (28 ounces) baked beans (I used Bush’s Best Original Baked Beans)
INGREDIENT SUBSTITUTIONS & Additions
BEANS: The question about what type of beans to use in your baked beans is totally up to you. I find that using Bush’s Best Original Baked Beans makes it super easy and provides great flavor, but you can use a different brand or something homemade if you prefer.
BBQ SAUCE: I tend to use Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce, because it’s usually what I have on hand. But, you can use any brand that you like or even make a homemade BBQ sauce of your own. Another option would be to use chili sauce with dark brown sugar and forego the BBQ sauce altogether.
ONIONS: The onions in this recipe are totally optional. I am aware that not everyone is a fan, so if that’s you, you can certainly leave the onions out on this one!
HOW TO MAKE BAKED BEANS
STEP ONE: Cook bacon in the oven. Bacon can be easily cooked in the oven. Line a pan with 2 layers of foil, lay the bacon on top of it, place in a cold oven, and turn the oven on to 400 degrees. For this recipe, cook the bacon for 18-20 minutes, just until the bacon is browning. It will finish cooking later in the oven on top of the baked beans.
PRO TIP: If you prefer to cook the bacon in a pan on the stove top, you can use the grease to saute your onions in the next step. If cooking in the oven as instructed above, use butter or oil of your choice.
STEP TWO: In an oven proof pan, such as a cast iron skillet, saute your onion until it is soft.
STEP THREE: While the onion is cooking, in a small bowl, combine the BBQ sauce, ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
STEP FOUR: Pour the baked beans into the pan with the onions. Add the sauce. Stir well. Then, cut slices of bacon into thirds or fourths and lay them on top of the beans.
STEP FIVE: Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes, until desired consistency.
PRO TIP: If you are making baked beans in the summer and want to keep the house from overheating when turning on the oven you can also make your baked beans on the grill! Just place them on the grill next to whatever meat is cooking, and let them cook the whole time the meat is on.
storing this recipe
In the fridge
Storing baked beans in the fridge is as simple as placing them in an airtight container made of plastic or glass. The maximum shelf life for canned beans after opening them is about 3-4 days. This is the same for your baked beans.
In the freezer
Since baked beans are a great side for crowds, you may find yourself with more leftovers than you’d like. No problem. Baked beans can be frozen and saved for a later date. Make sure the beans are completely cooled, then place them in an airtight/freezer safe container. Now your beans will keep in the freezer for 1-2 months.
Nothing beats the hearty, delicious side dish of baked beans for a summer cookout or family dinner. This recipe offers an easy way to make homemade baked beans in the oven using classic ingredients. It’s a simple way to enhance a can of baked beans and add loads of flavor to a family favorite!
MORE Dinner recipes you’ll love
- Oven Baked Chicken
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Green Bean Casserole
- Elbow Macaroni Pasta Salad
- Baked Ziti with Chicken
- Spaghetti Pie
- 4 or 5 slices bacon cooked until just brown
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp Worcerstershire sauce
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 (28 oz) can baked beans Bush's Best Original Baked Beans
- Cook bacon in the oven. Line a pan with 2 layers of foil, lay the bacon on top ofit, place in a cold oven, and turn the oven on to 400 degrees. For this recipe, cook the bacon for 18-20 minutes, just until the bacon is browning. It willfinish cooking later in the oven on top of the baked beans.
- In an oven proof pan, such as a cast ironskillet, saute your onion until it is soft.
- While the onion is cooking, in a small bowl, combine the BBQ sauce, ketchup, molasses, brownsugar, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- Pour the baked beansinto the pan with the onions. Add the sauce. Stir well. Then, cut slices ofbacon into thirds or fourths and lay them on top of the beans.
- Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes, until desired consistency.