Last updated on
Grab our exclusive Lazy Cooking Bundle, 60% off now!
This baked beans recipe gives you an easy way to make flavorful baked beans in the oven, using classic ingredients like BBQ sauce and bacon. You can’t go wrong with this hearty, homemade side dish. The sweet and smoky flavor is so good, it’ll taste like they were made completely from scratch!
Wondering what goes well with this perfect side dish? We have you covered! These recipes for Crockpot Ranch Porkchops and Sloppy Joes are both so simple and make the perfect pair with this classic dish. If you plan to make the baked beans on the grill, I recommend trying out this Beer Marinated Grilled Chicken!
BAKED BEANS INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- 1 pound bacon, about 36 regular strips
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 4 cans (398 milliters each) pork and beans
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
BEANS: The question about what kind of beans to use in your easy baked beans is totally up to you. I find that using Bush’s Best Original Baked Beans makes it super easy and provides great flavor, but you can use a different brand such as Heinz beans or something homemade if you prefer. Some people enjoy beans that have maple syrup added and those would work fine as well.
BBQ SAUCE: I tend to use Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce because it’s usually what I have on hand. But, you can use any brand that you like or even make a homemade BBQ sauce of your own. Another option would be to use chili sauce with dark brown sugar and forego the BBQ sauce altogether. If you like spicy beans, you can also use a spicier bbq sauce.
ONIONS: The onions in this recipe are totally optional in this baked bean recipe. I am aware that not everyone is a fan, so if that’s you, you can certainly leave the onions out on this one!
HOW TO MAKE THIS BAKED BEANS RECIPE
STEP ONE: Preheat oven to 350°F.
STEP TWO: In a large 12-inch frying pan, cook the bacon slices.
PRO TIP: Bacon can be easily cooked in the oven. Line a pan with 2 layers of foil, lay the bacon on top of it, place in a cold oven, and turn the oven on to 400°F. For this recipe, cook the bacon for 18-20 minutes, just until the bacon is browning.
STEP THREE: Remove cooked bacon from the frying pan and chop it into small pieces. Set bacon pieces aside for now.
STEP FOUR: Leave about 1 tablespoon of bacon grease in the frying pan and discard the rest of the grease. Cook onion in the frying pan over medium-high heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
STEP FIVE: Add in ketchup, BBQ sauce, brown sugar, yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and bacon to the frying pan and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
STEP SIX: Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
STEP SEVEN: Place the 4 cans of beans in the dish and remove ½ cup of the liquid that came out of the cans. Add in all the contents of the frying pan. Stir well to mix.
STEP EIGHT: Place the lid or aluminum foil over the baking dish and bake for 45 minutes. Remove cover after 45 minutes and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
PRO TIP: If you are making baked beans in the summer and want to keep the house from overheating when turning on the oven you can also make your baked beans on the grill! Just place them on the grill next to whatever meat is cooking, and let them cook the whole time the meat is on.
STEP NINE: Let sit for 20 minutes before serving to give the sauce a chance to thicken a bit.
HOW TO SERVE
This recipe goes well with so many main dishes. Burgers, hot dogs, and grilled meat are all great choices. Fried chicken or popcorn chicken are also classic options. Add macaroni salad or potato salad and dinner rolls with the best baked beans recipe and you have an amazing meal.
IN THE FRIDGE: Storing baked beans in the fridge is as simple as placing them in an airtight container made of plastic or glass. The maximum shelf life for canned beans after opening them is about 3-4 days. This is the same for your baked beans.
IN THE FREEZER: Since baked beans are a great side for crowds, you may find yourself with more leftovers than you’d like. No problem. Baked beans can be frozen and saved for a later date. Make sure the beans are completely cooled, then place them in an airtight/freezer-safe container. Now your beans will keep in the freezer for 1-2 months.
Nothing beats the hearty, delicious side dish of baked beans for a summer cookout, game day, family dinner or the next potluck. This recipe offers an easy way to make homemade baked beans in the oven using classic ingredients. It’s a simple way to enhance a can of baked beans and add loads of flavor to a true favorite!
Making baked beans in the oven or the slow cooker is fine. Whichever option is your preferred way to cook them will produce a delicious side dish.
You can freeze baked beans. Let them cool completely and then freeze in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
There really isn’t one brand that is better than the other. In this recipe, we use Bush’s Best Original Baked Beans but you could use whichever brand you prefer or can easily get at the grocery store.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Oven Baked Chicken
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Green Bean Casserole
- Elbow Macaroni Pasta Salad
- Baked Ziti with Chicken
- Million Dollar Spaghetti
- 1 pound bacon about 36 regular strips
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 4 cans pork and beans 398 milliliter each can
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large (12-inch) frying pan, cook bacon.
- Remove cooked bacon from the frying pan and chop into small pieces. Set bacon aside for now. Leave about 1 tablespoon of bacon grease in the frying pan and discard the rest of the grease.
- Cook onion in the frying pan over medium-high heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add in ketchup, BBQ sauce, brown sugar, yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and bacon to the frying pan and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the 4 cans of beans in the dish and remove ½ cup of the liquid that came out of the cans. Add in all the contents of the frying pan. Stir well to mix.
- Place the lid or aluminum foil over the baking dish and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove cover after 45 minutes and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Let sit for 20 minutes before serving to give the sauce a chance to thicken a bit.