Never Think About What to Make for Dinner for the Next Two Months with My Lazy Cooking Bundle
Sweet, gooey and delicious, everyone will go bananas for this upside down cake! Similar to the popular Bananas Foster dessert, this upside down banana cake recipe is best served warm with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.
INGREDIENTS FOR BANANA UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
You will need:
- 2/3 cup of packed brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons of salted butter, melted
- 3 medium bananas, sliced into 1/3 inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 3 medium bananas, mashed (about 1 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup of buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup of oil
- 2 eggs
SUBSTITUTIONS and ADDITIONS
Baking Soda and Baking Powder: These are two different things. It’s possible to make this recipe if you only have one, but you need to know that baking soda is three times as powerful as baking powder, and substitute accordingly. If you’re using only baking soda (in place of powder), you’ll also need to add a squeeze of lemon juice to activate it.
Buttermilk: Can can substitute buttermilk for regular milk, you’ll just need to add a teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar.
Coconut and Pineapple: For a tropical twist on this classic banana upside down cake, add some flaked coconut and some canned pineapple chunks to the mixture.
Alcohol: Give your cake an extra warming flavor by adding a splash of bourbon, whiskey, dark rum or banana liqueur
HOW TO MAKE this BANANA UPSIDE DOWN CAKE recipe
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9 x 2 inch round cake pan.
PRO TIP: The pan must hold eight cups in volume. Don’t use an 8 x 8 x 1 1/2 inch square pan, as this only holds six cups and it will overflow.
STEP TWO: First, make the topping. As this is an upside down cake, the topping will sit in the bottom of the cake pan. To make it, simply combine the brown sugar and melted butter in a bowl. When it’s well mixed, pour into the pan and spread out evenly with a rubber spatula. Place banana slices directly on top of the butter and sugar mixture.
STEP THREE: Now for the cake. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon.
STEP FOUR: In a separate mixing bowl, add the brown sugar, sugar, mashed banana, buttermilk, vanilla extract, oil and eggs. Use a hand mixer to beat and combine.
STEP FIVE: Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix together with a spoon. Add the remaining dry ingredients and stir until no white streaks of flour remain.
PRO TIP: Don’t over-mix the batter or your cake will be tough and rubbery.
STEP SIX: Pour the batter over the top of the sliced bananas. Spread evenly in the pan.
STEP SEVEN: Place into the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
STEP EIGHT: Remove from the oven and insert a toothpick into the cake to check if it’s done. If it’s done, the toothpick will come out clean. If it’s not done, put it back into the over for a further three minutes and check again.
STEP NINE: Let the cake cool in the pan for five to seven minutes. To remove from the pan, place a large serving dish on the top of the pan and flip the cake over. Serve warm on it’s own or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
IN THE FRIDGE: Banana upside down cake can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. You can eat it cold, but we recommend microwaving it for 30 seconds before serving.
IN THE FREEZER: To freeze this cake for up to three months, you should wrap each piece in plastic wrap or foil and then place them into an airtight container. Thaw overnight in the fridge, before warming in the microwave.
We’re sure that you’ll love this banana upside down cake recipe. Whether you make the classic version or add tropical fruit and liquor, this moist and flavorsome dessert is one that you’ll want to make again and again.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Banana Upside Down Cake
Topping (for the bottom of the pan)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar packed
- 5 tbsp salted butter melted
- 3 bananas sliced into 1/3 inch slices
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 medium bananas mashed (about 1 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease 9 x 2 inch round cake pan. The pan must be 8 cups volume (cake will overflow 8 x 8 x 1 1/2 inch square pan, it has only 6 cup volume).
Topping (for the bottom of the pan)
- Combine brown sugar and butter in a bowl. Stir together and then pour into the round cake pan. Spread out evenly with a rubber spatula. Place banana slices directly on top of the butter and sugar mixture.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, pinch of salt, and ground cinnamon. Whisk to combine.
- In another separate mixing bowl add brown sugar, sugar, mashed banana, buttermilk, vanilla extract, oil, and eggs. Use a hand mixer to beat and combine.
- Add 1/2 of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and use a spoon to start incorporating. Add the remaining dry ingredients and completely incorporate until no white streaks of flour remain. Don't over-mix the batter or your cake will be tough and rubbery.
- Pour batter over the top of the sliced bananas. Spread evenly in the pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Check with a toothpick to make sure the cake is done in the middle and the toothpick is clean when checked. Cook for an additional 3 minutes, or until the toothpick comes clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 5-7 minutes. Place a large serving dish on the top of the pan and flip the cake over so that the bananas are on the top of the cake on the serving plate.
- Serve warm and enjoy!