Last updated on
Table of Contents
Our Grandma’s Apple Betty is a super simple dessert recipe. Crisp apples are cooked to perfection and mixed with cinnamon sugar coated bread pieces to make a warm and comforting dessert. It’s the perfect way to use those fresh apples that you bring home from the apple orchard this fall!
These Apple Pie Bites and Caramel Apple Crisp Bites are a couple of other easy recipes to make with fresh apples. Both are warm and delicious fruit filled treats, just like this Grandma’s Apple Betty dessert.
INGREDIENTS FOR GRANDMA’S APPLE BETTY
You will need:
- ¼ cup unsalted margarine (melted)
- 1 ½ cups bread cubes that are a day old
- 4-5 cups tart apple slices
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ⅓ cup water
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Apples: Using tart apples will yield the best result in your Grandma’s Apple Betty. Here are some of the types of apples known for being more on the tart side: Pink Ladies, Braeburn, McIntosh, Jonathan, and Empire apples.
Toppings: I love serving Grandma’s Apple Betty with a scoop of ice cream on top, especially when it’s still a bit warm. The ice cream melts and it’s so delicious. You can also add a drizzle of caramel to give it a caramel apple flavor.
HOW TO MAKE THIS GRANDMA’S APPLE BETTY RECIPE
STEP ONE: Mix melted margarine with bread cubes.
STEP TWO: Combine the apples with sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
STEP THREE: Place ⅓ of the bread cubes in the bottom of a greased 2-quart casserole pan.
STEP FOUR: Cover the bottom of the pan with half of the apples.
STEP FIVE: Repeat, then top that layer with the last third of bread cubes.
STEP SIX: Combine lemon juice and water. Then, pour this mixture over everything in your pan.
STEP SEVEN: Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, uncover and continue to bake for 30 minutes more.
IN THE FRIDGE: Leftovers can be stored covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or at room temperature for about 3 days. If storing in the fridge, be sure to warm them up in the microwave for a bit before serving.
IN THE FREEZER: You can freeze your cooled Grandma’s Apple Betty by covering it with foil and placing it in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, let it thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat it in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Time to plan a trip to the apple orchard! Now that you have this easy recipe for Grandma’s Apple Betty, you can rest assured that your fresh apples will get put to good use. You are going to love the warm, fruity flavor that this dessert is packed with!
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Grandma’s Apple Betty
- 1/4 cup unsalted margarine melted
- 1 1/2 cup bread cubes day-old
- 4-5 cup tart apple slices
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup water
- Mix melted margarine with bread cubes.
- Combine the apples with sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Place ⅓ of the bread cubes in the bottom of a greased 2-quart casserole pan.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with half of the apples.
- Repeat, then top that layer with the last third of bread cubes.
- Combine lemon juice and water. Then, pour this mixture over everything in your pan.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, uncover and continue to bake for 30 minutes more.