Never Think About What to Make for Dinner for the Next Two Months with My Lazy Cooking Bundle
Mini apple pie bites are incredibly moreish sweet treats that are just so easy to make. Gooey and delicious, the baked apple is wrapped in buttery crescent roll pastry and flavored with sugar, cinnamon and crunchy pecans.
This recipe uses shop-bought crescent roll dough which can be used as a shortcut in many different pastry recipes. Take a look at some of our other crescent roll recipes, such as this Mexican-style Taco Ring and these light and flaky Cherry Danishes.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE APPLE PIE BITES
- 1 8-oz. tube of Pillsbury Original Crescent Rolls
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of white sugar
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup of caramel sauce
INGREDIENT SUBSTITUTIONS & ADDITIONS
PILLSBURY CRESCENT ROLLS: Other brands of crescent roll pastry will work just as well. Outside of the US, crescent roll dough is known as ‘croissant dough’.
GRANNY SMITH APPLE: These are the preferred apples for apple pies, but for a less sharp taste you could try a different variety such as Golden Delicious, Pink Lady or Jazz.
PECANS: Don’t have pecans? Almonds or walnuts could be used as a substitute.
CARAMEL SAUCE: Caramel sauce makes a great topping for this recipe, as does custard, vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. The choice is yours!
NUTMEG: If you’re making this apple pie bites recipe for Thanksgiving or Christmas, try adding some nutmeg alongside the cinnamon for a traditional holiday flavor.
HOW TO MAKE this APPLE PIE BITES WITH CRESCENT ROLLS recipe
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
STEP TWO: In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, white sugar and cinnamon.
STEP THREE: Open the tube of Crescent Rolls and place each triangle of pastry dough on to the lined baking sheet. For an extra buttery taste, look out for the ‘Butter Flake Crescent Rolls’
STEP FOUR: Melt the butter in the microwave and use a brush to spread half of it onto the dough triangles. Sprinkle half of the sugar and cinnamon mixture on to each triangle. Add the chopped pecans.
STEP FIVE: Slice the apple into ¼ inch wedges and place one slice at the short side of each triangle. Roll up each triangle around the apple slice, from the short side to the point.
STEP SIX: Brush with the remaining melted butter and sprinkle with the remaining sugar and cinnamon mixture.
STEP SEVEN: Bake for 13 minutes. Remove from the oven, top with caramel sauce and serve. The caramel sauce can be drizzled across each apple pie bite or served as a dipping sauce
IN THE FRIDGE: Apple pie bites can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days in an airtight container. You can enjoy them cold straight out of the fridge or heat them up in the oven if you prefer.
IN THE FREEZER: Apple pie bites freeze very well and can be frozen for up to three months. Wrap each pie in foil or plastic wrap before placing in to the freezer. To defrost, thaw at room temperature before reheating in the oven.
This mini apple pie bites recipe is made easy by using crescent rolls for the crust. We think this is the best way to do it, as it avoids the mess and fuss of making pastry from scratch. This recipe is so easy that a child could do it. We hope that your family will have fun making (and eating) these scrummy apple pie bites together.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Baked Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Easy Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Southern Strawberry Sweet Tea
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie
Apple Pie Bites
- 8 oz container crescent rolls
- 1 Granny Smith apple (sliced)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl combine brown sugar, sugar, and cinnamon and mix together with a fork to combine, set aside.
- Roll out the crescent rolls on the prepared baking sheet and using a knife of pizza cutter separate each triangle.
- Melt butter in a microwave safe dish and spread over the crescent rolls.
- Sprinkle each triangle with the cinnamon sugar mixture and chopped pecans.
- Slice apple into 1/4 inch slices and place one slice at the wider end of each crescent roll. Begin rolling the dough from the wide end to the narrow end and arrange on the baking pan.
- Brush with remaining melted butter and sprinkle with additional cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake for 13 minutes.
- Top with caramel sauce and serve.
- This recipe makes eight crescent rolls. If you need to feed a crowd, get a two-pack of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls and double up on the other ingredients
- We like to leave the peel on the apple but you can peel it before slicing if you prefer
- For an extra buttery taste, look out for the ‘Butter Flake Crescent Rolls’
- The caramel sauce can be drizzled across each apple pie bite or served as a dipping sauce