Last updated on
Grab our exclusive Lazy Cooking Bundle, 60% off now!
Apple crisp is the perfect home comfort food. This easy apple crisp recipe is just like Grandma used to make – sweet, warm, and delicious!
MORE APPLE RECIPES:
Apple Cobbler | Caramel Apple Dip
APPLE CRISP INGREDIENTS
You will need:
For the Apple Filling
- 6 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- ½ cup of light brown sugar
- ¾ cup of sugar
- ¼ cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons of cinnamon
For the Topping
- ¾ cup of old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup of flour
- ¼ cup of light brown sugar
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 4 tablespoons of cold butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Granny Smith Apples: Granny Smiths are the best apples for apple crisp, but we also like Golden Delicious and Honeycrisp apples.
Light Brown Sugar: If you don’t have this you could just use regular white sugar.
Old-Fashioned Oats: These are also known as rolled oats. It’s fine to use quick-cooking oats instead if that’s what you have in the cupboard.
Butter: To make this recipe suitable for vegans, you could switch the butter to dairy-free margarine.
Caramel Sauce: Optional but so yummy, why not drizzle some caramel sauce over the top?
HOW TO MAKE THIS APPLE CRISP RECIPE
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray.
STEP TWO: First, make the topping. Take a medium-sized bowl and add the oats, flour, cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg, and brown sugar. Stir until combined.
STEP THREE: Add the butter and work together with a fork or your fingers until it’s crumbly. Set aside.
STEP FOUR: Next, make the filling. Place the apples into a large bowl and drizzle with lemon juice. Toss until well-coated.
PRO TIP: Do not skip peeling the apples. Leaving the peels on will affect the consistency and texture of your crisp.
STEP FIVE: In a small bowl, add the flour, sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir until combined. Sprinkle the flour mixture over the apples and toss until they are coated.
PRO TIP: Adding flour to your apples will help ensure that your filling is not crumbly.
STEP SIX: Layer the apples into the baking dish. Place the crumbly topping on top.
PRO TIP: To make sure this turns out crisp, take the topping mixture, press into balls and break off pieces to sprinkle on top. This allows the best air circulation during baking and turns the topping into crispy pieces that resemble nuggets of oatmeal cookie.
STEP SEVEN: Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
STEP EIGHT: Serve warm topped with ice cream or whipped topping.
IN THE FRIDGE: Apple crisp can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days. Allow it to cool completely before wrapping it in plastic wrap. Warm in the microwave or in the oven on low heat.
IN THE FREEZER: Apple crisp will last for three months in the freezer in an airtight container. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
The best apple crisp is homemade from scratch, but that doesn’t mean that it’s difficult to do. This traditional apple crisp recipe can be prepared in under 20 minutes, using ingredients that you already have in your store cupboard.
The best apples to use for apple crisp are tart apples or a mix of tart and sweet apples. Granny Smith is the top choice for baking followed by Golden Delicious, Fuji and Honeycrisp.
For an apple crisp, you should peel the apples before adding them to the recipe.
You could make apple crisp without oats. Instead, top with a crumble topping of ¾ cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 cup of all-purpose flour and ½ cup of unsalted butter, melted. Combine and sprinkle on top of your apple mixture.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- 6 Granny Smith apples peeled, cored, and sliced thin but not slivered
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 4 tbsp cold butter cubed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- ice cream or whipped topping optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly spray an 8×8 baking dish.
- In a medium sized bowl add the oats, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, and brown sugar.
- Add the cold cubed butter. Using a fork or fingers, work the butter into the flour and oat mixture until crumbly. Set this aside.
- In a large bowl, add the sliced apples.
- Drizzle the lemon juice over the apples. Toss the apples to coat them well with the lemon juice.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, sugar, packed light brown sugar, and cinnamon. Quickly stir together to combine.
- Sprinkle the flour mixture over the apples and toss to coat the apples.
- Evenly layer the apples into the lightly sprayed baking dish.
- Evenly sprinkle the oat mixture topping over the apples.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve warm and top with ice cream or whipped topping.