This recipe for vanilla trifle is made from layers of fluffy angel food cake, french vanilla pudding mix, and fresh berries. It’s a creamy, delicious, fruit trifle that couldn’t be easier to make.
Another yummy vanilla flavored dessert is our No Churn Vanilla Ice Cream. It’s so easy to make this creamy and tasty treat. If you’re on the hunt for another berry dessert, you have to try our Berry Icebox Cake.
VANILLA TRIFLE INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- 2 (3.4-ounce) packages of french vanilla pudding mix
- 4 cups whole milk
- Store-bought angel food cake, cut into 1-inch squares
- 3 (16-ounce) containers of fresh strawberries, tops removed and sliced
- 2 cups of fresh blueberries
- 2 cups of fresh raspberries
- 16-ounce container of Cool Whip
PRO TIP: I do not recommend using frozen fruit for this recipe. As it thaws it will soak into the angel food cake, turning it into mush.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
CAKE: If you’d prefer to make your own angel food cake, you can buy a box mix from the store. You will need either a tube pan or three 8.5-inch loaf pans for it to cook in. If you choose this option, it’s best to place it on a baking sheet on the bottom shelf to prevent a mess if it overflows.
PUDDING: You can use a variety of instant pudding flavors. Here are a few of our favorites: Coconut Cream, Banana Cream, Vanilla, and Cheesecake.
FRUIT: You could use any combination of your favorite fruits for your trifle. It’s not recommended to use frozen fruit for this recipe. When it thaws out it will soak into the angel food cake, turning it to mush. Stick to fresh fruit for this recipe.
WHIPPED CREAM: If you would prefer to make your own whipped cream in place of Cool Whip, check out our homemade recipe here.
HOW TO MAKE THIS VANILLA TRIFLE RECIPE
STEP ONE: In a large mixing bowl, add dry pudding mix and whole milk. Using a whisk or hand mixer, beat together until there are no lumps remaining. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate per package directions.
STEP TWO: In a large trifle bowl, add ½ of the angel food cake pieces and evenly spread them out.
PRO TIP: The best knife to use when cutting angel food cake is one with a serrated blade, it will cut the cake easier, and you won’t lose the airy, fluffy texture of the cake.
STEP THREE: Add ½ of the chilled french vanilla pudding over the top of the cake pieces and evenly spread it out with a rubber spatula.
STEP FOUR: Add ⅓ of each berry on top of the layer of pudding.
STEP FIVE: Add ½ of the Cool Whip to the top of the berries.
STEP SIX: Repeat the layers from step two through step five (cake, pudding, berries, Cool Whip).
STEP SEVEN: Add the remaining ⅓ berries to the top of the trifle.
PRO TIP: Chilling this dessert overnight will allow the flavors to blend together and soak into the cake.
HOW TO SERVE
English trifle is one of the easiest desserts to make and even easier to eat. All those divine layers of fruit, sponge cake and pudding layers combine for a heavenly treat that looks so beautiful in the trifle dish. Serve this amazing, simple dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra indulgent treat.
IN THE FRIDGE: You can make your trifle a day ahead and store it in the fridge. Assemble the trifle according to the instructions, cover it with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until you’re ready to serve it. Any leftovers should also be stored, covered with plastic, in the fridge.
Trifle desserts are delicious, layered desserts that are so simple to make. This vanilla trifle uses moist angel food cake, creamy pudding, and fresh berries to make a decadent dessert. It’s the perfect ending to any meal.
A trifle bowl is a large glass bowl that is usually on a pedestal. It displays all of the lovely layers of this dessert through the clear glass.
Trifle can be made a day ahead and, in fact, it should be made ahead of time so that the flavors are able to blend together and soak into the cake.
Any other soft, sponge-like cake would work well for a trifle. Ladyfingers are also a popular choice for this fluffy dessert.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- 2 3.4-ounce packages french vanilla pudding mix
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 store-bought angel food cake, cut into 1-inch squares
- 3 16-ounce containers strawberries tops removed and sliced
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups raspberries
- 16 ounces Cool Whip
- In a large mixing bowl add dry pudding mix and whole milk. Using a whisk or hand mixer, beat together until no lumps remain. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate per package directions.
- In a trifle bowl, add ½ of the angel food cake pieces and evenly spread them out.
- Add ½ of the chilled french vanilla pudding over the top of the cake pieces and evenly spread it out with a rubber spatula.
- Add ⅓ of each berry on top of the French vanilla pudding
- Add ½ of the Cool Whip to the top of the berries
- Repeat the layers (cake, French vanilla pudding, berries, cool whip).
- Add the remaining ⅓ berries to the top of the trifle.