September 21, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
This classic rich chocolate trifle is made from layers of decadent chocolate cake, creamy chocolate pudding, fluffy whipped topping, and crunchy candy bars. With three kinds of delicious chocolate, it’s the ultimate triple threat.
Chocolate Trifle Ingredients
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box of chocolate cake mix (baked according to package directions for a 9 x 13-inch pan)
- 2 (3.9-ounce) boxes of instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 cups of milk
- 1 (12-ounce) tub of frozen Cool Whip whipped topping, slightly thawed
- 5-6 Heath candy bars, crushed into small pieces, and divided in half
Substitutions And Additions
BROWNIES: If you prefer chocolate brownies, try substituting a boxed brownie mix instead of the chocolate cake in this easy recipe (or our amazing brownie cake).
This will add a delicious fudgy element to your trifle.
OREOS: Oreo cookies are a popular substitution for Heath bars in this recipe. Crumble up 10-12 Oreos and add them in place of the Heath bars (and don’t forget to add some on top, too)!
Or you could customize this trifle by using another chocolate bar on top, such as Reese’s peanut butter cups or Skor bars.
How To Make This Chocolate Trifle Recipe
STEP ONE: Cut the baked cake into small cubes, about 1 to 1½ inches in size.
STEP TWO: Add the dry instant pudding to a medium-sized bowl and add the milk. Mix with a mixer for two minutes or whisk by hand until thick.
STEP THREE: Add half of the pieces of chocolate cake to the trifle bowl. Gently press them together to fill in any gaps.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
If you don’t have an actual trifle bowl, any large glass bowl or even individual glass bowls will work fine for this fantastic dessert.
STEP FOUR: Next, take half of the pudding mixture and spread it over the cake layer.
For extra crunch, sprinkle candy bar chunks between each layer. Just be sure to save a handful for your trifle topping.
STEP FIVE: Spread half of the whipped topping on top of the pudding layer.
STEP SIX: Sprinkle with half of the crushed Heath candy bars.
STEP SEVEN: Repeat adding your layers of cake, pudding, and a final layer of whipped topping with candy bar chunks on top.
STEP EIGHT: Chill for one to two hours before serving.
You can also chill this dessert overnight to allow the flavors more time to blend together and soak into the cake.
How To Serve
This layered dessert will impress your guests, and they will be eager to have a taste.
IN THE FRIDGE: You can make trifle a day ahead and store it in the fridge.
Assemble the trifle according to the instructions, cover it with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until you’re ready to serve it.
Leftovers will keep for two to three days.
IN THE FREEZER: Freezing your chocolate trifle isn’t recommended because the texture will change as you freeze and then thaw it.
This perfect chocolate trifle dessert has layers of chocolate cake, creamy chocolate pudding, and whipped cream that will delight your senses. It’s so easy to make, and the result is a stunning dessert that tastes amazing.
Frequently Asked Questions
A trifle bowl is a large bowl that is usually on a pedestal. It displays all of the lovely layers of this dessert through the clear glass.
This easy chocolate trifle recipe can be made a day ahead, and, in fact, it should be made ahead of time so that the flavors are able to blend together and soak into the cake.
We don’t recommend freezing this no-bake dessert. The creamy texture will change once thawed. This treat is best made fresh.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Butter Pecan Crunch
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Lasagna
- Oreo Pie
- Icebox Cake
- Oreo Poke Cake
- Cookie Dough Cupcakes
- Strawberry Trifle
- Bailey’s Chocolate Cheesecake Trifle
- Baileys Brownies
- Chocolate Lasagna
- Cool Whip Candy
- Pineapple Angel Food Cake
- Nutella Truffles
- Bumpy Cake
- Strawberry Layer Cake
- Caramel Brownies
- No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie Bars
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Pie
- Disneyland Peanut Butter Squares
- Chocolate Dump Cake
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Dessert
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Chocolate Mug Cake
- Mint Oreo Dessert
- Chocolate Delight
- Pudding Cake
- Air Fried Oreos
- Baked Sour Cream Donuts
- Cut the baked cake into small cubes about 1 to 1½ inches in size.
- Place the dry pudding in a medium-sized bowl and add the milk. Mix with a mixer for two minutes or whisk by hand until thick.
- In the trifle bowl, place half of the pieces of chocolate cake, pressing gently to fill in any gaps.
- Next, take half of the pudding and spread it over the cake layer.
- Then spread half of the whipped topping on top of the pudding layer.
- Sprinkle with half of the crushed candy bars.
- Repeat adding your layers of cake, pudding, and a final layer of whipped topping with candy bar chunks on top.
- Chill for 1 to 2 hours before serving.
- If you don’t have an actual trifle bowl, any large glass bowl or even individual bowls will work fine for this fantastic dessert.
- For extra crunch, sprinkle candy bar chunks between each layer. Just be sure to save a handful for your trifle topping.
- You can also chill this dessert overnight to allow the flavors more time to blend together and soak into the cake.