This recipe for chocolate trifle is made from layers of decadent chocolate and whipped topping. With three kinds of chocolate (cake, pudding, and candy bars) it’s the ultimate triple chocolate trifle.
more Cake recipes
Chocolate Trifle Ingredients
You will need:
- 1 chocolate cake (baked per box instructions for 9 x 13” pan)
- 1 (12 oz) tub of frozen whipped topping, slightly thawed
- 2 boxes (3.9 oz each) instant chocolate pudding
- 4 cups milk
- 5-6 Heath candy bars, crushed into small chunks, divided
Ingredient Substitutions & Additions
BROWNIES: If you prefer brownies over cake, try substituting a pan (9 x 13”) of brownies instead of the chocolate cake in this recipe. This will add a delicious fudgy element to your trifle.
OREOS: Oreos are a popular substitution for Heath Bars in this recipe. Crumble up 10 – 12 Oreos and add them in place of the Heath Bars (and don’t forget to add some on top, too)!
How to Make this Chocolate Trifle recipe:
STEP 1: Cut the baked cake into small cubes, about 1 to 1 ½ inches in size.
STEP 2: Add the dry pudding to a medium size bowl and add the milk. Mix with a mixer for 2 minutes or whisk by hand until thick.
STEP 3: Add half of the pieces of chocolate cake to the trifle bowl. Gently press them together to fill in any gaps.
STEP 4: Next, take half of the pudding and spread it over the cake layer.
PRO TIP: For some extra crunch, sprinkle candy bar chunks between each layer. Just be sure to save a handful for your trifle topping!
STEP 5: Spread half of the whipped topping on top of the pudding layer.
STEP 6: Sprinkle with half of the crushed Heath candy bars.
STEP 7: Repeat adding your layers of cake, pudding, and a final layer of whipped topping with candy bar chunks on top.
STEP 8: Chill for 1 – 2 hours before serving.
How to Store
You can make trifle a day ahead and store it in the fridge. Assemble the trifle according to the instructions, cover it with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until you’re ready to serve it.
Freezing your chocolate trifle isn’t recommended because the texture will change as you freeze and then thaw it. Instead, keep your leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 – 3 days.
This easy, delicious recipe for Chocolate Trifle is a chocolate lover’s dream. It has 3 kinds of chocolate — cake, pudding and candy bars — that are layered with whipped topping for a decadent dessert.
more desserts you’ll love:
- Butter Pecan Crunch
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Lasagna
- Oreo Pie
- Icebox Cake
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- Cookie Dough Cupcakes
- 1 chocolate cake (baked per box instructions for 9×13 pan)
- 12 oz frozen whipped topping slightly thawed
- 2 boxes instant chocolate pudding 3.9 oz each
- 4 cups milk
- 5-6 bars Heath candy bars crushed into small chunks, divided
- Cut the baked cake into small cubes about 1 to 1 ½ inches in size.
- Place the dry pudding in a medium size bowl and add the milk. Mix with a mixer for two minutes or whisk by hand until thick.
- In the trifle bowl place half of the pieces of chocolate cake pressing gently to fill in any gaps.
- Next take half of the pudding and spread over the cake layer.
- Then spread half of the whipped topping on top of the pudding layer.
- Sprinkle with half of the crushed candy bars.
- Repeat layers with cake, pudding, final toppingof whipped topping and then candy bar chunks on top.
- Chill for 1-2 hours before serving.