February 15, 2024Review Recipe
Table of Contents
- Caramel Brownies Ingredients
- Caramel Brownies Recipe Substitutions And Additions
- How To Make This Caramel Brownie Recipe
- How To Serve These Caramel Filled Brownies
- Storing These Fudgy Brownies
- Why These Caramel Chocolate Brownies are the Best
- More Recipes You’ll Love
- JUMP TO RECIPE
- Even More Recipes You’ll Love
If you’re looking for a chocolate fix, look no further than these amazing caramel brownies! The gooey caramel layer sandwiched between two layers of fudge brownies takes these super chocolatey brownies to the next level of decadence.
Caramel Brownies Ingredients
When it comes to treating ourselves to a guilty pleasure, these scrumptious, mouth-watering dessert, caramel brownies are worth trying!
With every bite, the delicious combination of rich chocolate and sweet, gooey homemade caramel sauce is pure indulgence.
For The Caramel Center:
- 11-ounce package of Kraft caramels
- ⅓ cup of evaporated milk
For The Brownies:
- 1 standard (18-ounce) box of brownie mix
- 1 to 2 eggs (as directed on the brownie package instructions)
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons of water
- ½ cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
It is important to make the caramel center using Kraft caramels and evaporated milk.
Don’t try to replace it with caramel sauce, as it won’t give you the texture you are hoping for.
Caramel Brownies Recipe Substitutions And Additions
With a rich chocolate mixture and a thick ribbon of warm caramel sauce, these are the best brownies and are sure to be a huge hit. Here are some more additions to try when making this dessert recipe.
HOMEMADE BROWNIES: If you have a favorite homemade brownie recipe, you could directly substitute it for the box mix.
NUTS: If you enjoy the combination of caramel and nuts, consider adding a handful of chopped pecans, walnuts, or almonds to the brownie batter.
These crunchy additions will bring a delightful texture and an extra layer of flavor.
SALT: Add a sprinkle of flaky sea salt or kosher salt on top of these brownies before serving to add extra decadence.
MARSHMALLOW FLUFF: You could add in a swirl of marshmallow fluff with the caramel layer for an extra ooey gooey treat.
CHOCOLATE CHIPS: Instead of semisweet chocolate chips, you could also use dark chocolate, milk chocolate, or even white chocolate.
How To Make This Caramel Brownie Recipe
There are two parts to this recipe.
You will whip up the brownie batter from the boxed cake mix.
You will also make the creamy caramel mixture on your stovetop.
Once both are ready, you will layer them following our directions below and then bake your brownies.
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Line a 9×9-inch baking dish with parchment paper and set it aside.
Leave an overlap of parchment paper on the edges so that it is easy to pull your brownies out of the pan after baking.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
You can use a 9×13-inch baking dish for a very thin caramel brownie or you can double the recipe.
STEP TWO: Place the unwrapped caramels and the evaporated milk in a small saucepan.
Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, so the caramels do not burn.
Continue stirring until the caramels are completely melted and the mixture is evenly smooth. This will take about five to seven minutes.
Melting the caramel candies with the evaporated milk helps to keep the caramel nice and smooth and creamy in the center rather than crisping up.
STEP THREE: In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the brownie batter ingredients.
STEP FOUR: Spread two-thirds of the brownie batter into the prepared baking dish.
STEP FIVE: Spread the caramel mixture over the brownie batter.
Dollop it across the top so that you are not spreading the caramel down into the brownie batter.
Drop the caramel layer across the surface rather than pouring it into one spot and trying to spread it.
Drop the top layer of brownie batter over the top to get some of the crackling of the caramel coming through after baking.
STEP SIX: Dollop the remaining batter over the top of the caramel.
STEP SEVEN: Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Immediately sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the brownies while they are still hot.
Oven temperatures vary and may need to be recalibrated periodically to ensure they are accurate. Make sure to check your brownies at the lower end of the recommended baking time.
STEP EIGHT: Allow brownies to cool completely before cutting.
How To Serve These Caramel Filled Brownies
These brownies will be a sure crowd pleaser with their gooey layer of caramel hiding in the center and the chewy edges.
Take your caramel brownies to the next level by transforming them into a mouthwatering brownie sundae.
Top a warm brownie with a scoop of your favorite ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, and a sprinkle of nuts or crushed cookies.
Storing These Fudgy Brownies
To ensure you can enjoy your caramel brownies beyond the day of baking, proper storage is key. Here’s how to store them:
MAKE AHEAD: If you’re planning ahead, you can prepare the brownie batter and caramel mixture a day in advance.
Store them separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator until you’re ready to assemble and bake.
This way, you can enjoy freshly baked brownies without the extra preparation time.
ON THE COUNTER: These easy brownies will keep at room temperature for three to four days.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store these chewy brownies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
IN THE FREEZER: Caramel brownies are freezer-friendly and can be stored for future indulgence.
Wrap individual portions tightly in plastic wrap or place them in an airtight container. They can be frozen for up to three months.
When you’re ready to enjoy them, thaw the brownies at room temperature or in the refrigerator before serving.
Why These Caramel Chocolate Brownies are the Best
There are several reasons why we absolutely adore this caramel brownie recipe:
IRRESISTIBLE FLAVOR COMBINATION: The combination of rich chocolate brownies and gooey caramel is a match made in dessert heaven.
The contrasting textures and flavors create a truly indulgent treat.
EASE AND CONVENIENCE: Using a brownie mix as the base of this recipe saves time and effort, making it accessible even for novice bakers.
The addition of caramel elevates the brownies without adding complexity.
VERSATILITY: Caramel brownies are suitable for various occasions, from casual family gatherings to formal events.
They can be served on their own, with ice cream, or as part of a dessert platter, making them a versatile treat.
Rich, chocolatey, and with a delicious layer of caramel in the middle, what’s not to love about these fudgy caramel brownies? The hardest part about this recipe will be waiting for the brownies to cool enough so that you can dig in.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This easy brownie recipe can be kept in the freezer for up to three months.
If you have a preferred brownie recipe, you can use that rather than using the box mix.
These easy caramel brownies will be fine on the counter for three to four days, stored in a sealed container.
Yes, you can use milk chocolate chips if you prefer a sweeter flavor profile.
However, keep in mind that the brownies might become overly sweet with the additional caramel, so adjust the sweetness to your liking.
While the recipe calls for Kraft caramels, you can experiment with different brands or types of caramel candies.
Just ensure that they are individually wrapped and suitable for melting.
Different caramel candies may vary in sweetness and texture, so the final result might differ slightly.
While caramel sauce may seem like a convenient alternative, it may not work well for this recipe.
Caramel sauce tends to be thinner and runnier than melted caramels, which could affect the texture and consistency of the brownies.
It’s best to stick to the recommended method of melting caramels for the desired results.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Baileys Fudge
- Biscoff Blondie Recipe
- Marshmallow Cookies
- Marshmallow Peanut Butter Squares
- 11 ounces Kraft caramels
- ⅓ cup evaporated milk
- 18 ounces brownie mix
- 1 to 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9×9 baking dish with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Place the unwrapped caramels and the evaporated milk in a small saucepan. Heat over medium, stirring constantly, so the caramels do not burn until the caramels are completely melted, and the mixture is evenly smooth (5 to 7 minutes).
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the brownie batter ingredients.
- Spread two-thirds of the brownie batter into the lined baking dish.
- Spread the caramel mixture over the brownie batter. Dollop it across the top so that you are not spreading the caramel down into the brownie batter.
- Dollop the remaining brownie batter over the top of the caramel.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Immediately sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the hot brownies.
- Allow brownies to cool completely before cutting.
- It is important to make the caramel center using Kraft caramels and evaporated milk. Don’t try to replace it with caramel sauce, as it won’t give you the texture you are hoping for.
- You can use a 9×13-inch baking dish for a very thin caramel brownie, or you can double the recipe.
- Melting the caramel candies with the evaporated milk helps to keep the caramel nice and smooth and creamy in the center rather than crisping up.
- Drop the caramel layer across the surface rather than pouring it into one spot and trying to spread it. Drop the top layer of brownie batter over the top to get some of the crackling of the caramel coming through after cooking.
- Oven temperatures vary and may need to be recalibrated periodically to ensure they are accurate. Make sure to check your brownies at the lower end of the recommended baking time.
Even More Recipes You’ll Love
- Cheesecake Brownies
- Lemon Brownies
- Lunch Lady Brownies
- Baileys Brownies
- Coconut Brownies
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Brownies
- Strawberry Brownies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
- Cosmic Brownies
- Vanilla Brownies
- Mint Chocolate Brownies
- Candy Bar Brownies
- Ooey Gooey Chocolate Brownies
- Sizzler Brownie
- Brownie Cupcakes
- Slutty Brownies
- Peppermint Brownies
- German Chocolate Caramel Brownies