January 13, 2022
Table of Contents
These decadent chocolate peanut butter brownies use a simple homemade brownie recipe with the addition of full-size peanut butter cups in the center. A delicious twist on the classic chocolate brownie, this version is stuffed with nutty, buttery deliciousness.
CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER BROWNIES INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- ½ cup of salted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 ½ cups of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup of all-purpose flour
- ½ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- 24 full-size chocolate peanut butter cups, unwrapped
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups: We like to use Reese’s peanut butter cups, but any brand will work just as well. Use 24 cups for fully-loaded brownies, or use fewer and space them out.
Vanilla Extract: If you don’t have vanilla extract to hand, you could substitute with maple syrup or leave it out altogether without too much difference to the taste
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: Instead of cocoa powder, you could use a third of a cup of melted, unsweetened baking chocolate and use two tablespoons less butter.
Chopped Peanuts: Like a crunchy brownie? You could add a quarter cup of chopped nuts if you wish.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER BROWNIE RECIPE
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
PRO TIP: Allow the parchment paper to overhang the edges of the pan a little. This will make it easier to remove the brownies when they’re done.
STEP TWO: Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer, beat together the melted butter and sugar.
STEP THREE: Add the vanilla extract and eggs, one egg at a time, beating well between each addition.
STEP FOUR: Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. Add it to the mixture and beat until fully combined.
STEP FIVE: Spread half of the batter across the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
PRO TIP: The batter will be thick in texture, so spread it carefully to cover the entire pan
STEP SIX: Press the chocolate peanut butter cups into the brownie batter, forming neat rows.
STEP SEVEN: Spread the remaining batter over the peanut butter cups and smooth evenly.
STEP EIGHT: Place into the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
PRO TIP: To check if the brownies are done, insert a toothpick in the center. It should come out clean with a few moist crumbs.
STEP NINE: Remove from the oven and allow the brownies to cool completely before using the edges of the parchment paper to carefully lift them out of the pan. Cut into pieces and serve.
AT ROOM TEMPERATURE: Chocolate and peanut butter brownies can be stored on the countertop in an airtight container for up to five days.
IN THE FREEZER: If you wish to freeze chocolate peanut butter brownies, it’s easiest to do so before cutting them into individual servings. Wrap the entire slab with plastic wrap, then foil and it will keep for three months. If you wish to freeze individual portions, you can place them in an airtight container. Add a sheet of parchment paper between each layer to prevent the brownies from sticking together.
Chocolate peanut butter brownies with cocoa powder and peanut butter cups are so easy to make that they’re great fun to bake with children. Soft, chewy and fudgy, these brownies are a must-bake for peanut butter lovers.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
- 1/2 cup salted butter melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 24 full-size chocolate peanut butter cups
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9 x 13 inch rectangular baking pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat together melted butter and sugar with a hand mixer or standing mixer.
- Add vanilla extract and eggs, adding one egg at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder then add to the butter/sugar mixture.
- Beat until fully combined.
- Spread half of the batter across the bottom of the prepared baking pan. The batter will be thick in texture and will need to be spread carefully to cover the entire pan.
- Nestle chocolate peanut butter cups into the brownie batter, forming neat rows.
- Spread remaining batter over the peanut butter cups and smooth evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Batter should be set in the middle and a toothpick inserted in the center should come out with a few moist crumbs.
- Remove from the oven and allow brownies to cool completely in the pan.
- Brownies will lift easily from the pan by lifting on the edges of the parchment paper lining.
- Cut into pieces and serve!