January 25, 2022
Table of Contents
Peanut butter brownies are a gooey salty-sweet combination of decadent chocolate and rich, nutty peanut butter. These indulgent homemade brownies add chopped peanut butter cups and a swirl of peanut butter to the made from scratch brownie batter. This is the best brownie recipe any peanut butter fan could ask for!
If you love chocolate and peanut butter, we have more recipes to fill your craving. Try our Peanut Butter Balls, Reese’s Peanut Butter Fudge, Reese’s Cheesecake or creamy Chocolate Peanut Butter Lasagna.
PEANUT BUTTER BROWNIES INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- 1 ½ cups milk chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped peanut butter cups
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER: Crunchy peanut butter can be used instead. Avoid “natural” style nut butters as the oil may separate during baking and give the brownies a dry, crumbly texture.
MILK CHOCOLATE CHIPS: You can also use dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips. You could take it up another level by adding in some peanut butter chips as well.
HOW TO MAKE THIS PEANUT BUTTER BROWNIES RECIPE
STEP ONE: Microwave the chocolate chips and oil in a small heat-safe bowl for 45 seconds. Stir and heat ten seconds more. Stir until the chips are melted and the mixture is smooth. Set aside.
STEP TWO: Whisk together ½ cup of flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
STEP THREE: In another bowl whisk the eggs, vanilla extract, and milk.
STEP FOUR: Whisk the egg mixture into the flour mixture, then stir in the melted chocolate chips and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
STEP FIVE: Toss the peanut butter cups in one tablespoon of flour until they are evenly coated. Fold them gently into the batter.
PRO TIP: Tossing the peanut butter cups in flour helps them stay suspended in the batter rather than sinking to the bottom of the pan.
STEP SIX: Spread the batter in an 8×8 inch baking dish lined with parchment paper.
STEP SEVEN: With a cookie scoop or tablespoon, drop the peanut butter on top of the brownie batter and swirl with a knife. Bake for 30 minutes, until the edges are crisp and the middle is set.
PRO TIP: Be careful to not over swirl the peanut butter so that you’ll get the thick, yummy swirls we’re showing.
STEP EIGHT: Allow to cool completely before cutting and serving.
PRO TIP: Even though the thought of warm, gooey brownies fresh from the oven sounds amazing, warm brownies are impossible to cut into squares. Speed up the cooling process by putting them in the freezer for half an hour. Once they are cool, use a sharp knife and sawing motion to cut them, wiping the knife clean after each cut. A few seconds in the microwave will bring the brownies back to warm, fudgy perfection.
STEP NINE: These chewy peanut butter brownies are rich enough on their own, but to really send them over the top, serve them warm, topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate syrup for a super brownie sundae.
IN THE FRIDGE: Cover the pan tightly with a lid or plastic wrap, or store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
IN THE FREEZER: Wrap brownies individually in plastic and store in a freezer bag for up to three months.
These dense, rich, fudgy peanut butter brownies are so easy to make and are extra delicious. Our homemade batter is loaded with peanut butter cups and swirls of peanut butter for an indulgent dessert that is creamy and decadent.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Cookie Cups
- Texas Sheet Cake
- Peanut Butter Ball
- Disneyland Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Bars
- PB No Bake Cookies
- Nutella Brownies
Peanut Butter Brownies
- 1 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup peanut butter cups chopped
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8 nonstick baking dish with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a heat-safe small bowl, add the chocolate chips and the oil. Microwave for 45 seconds. Stir the chips and oil, return to the microwave, and heat for another 10 seconds. Stir until the chips and oil are smooth. Set it aside.
- Using a medium-size mixing bowl whisk together ½ cup all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, and salt. Set it aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract, and milk. Add to the flour mixture. Now add the melted chips and stir until the batter is just combined.
- Toss the chopped peanut butter cups with 1 tablespoon of flour. Fold the coated chopped peanut butter cups into the batter. Mix just until all ingredients are combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Using a 1 to 1 ½ tablespoon cookie scoop or a regular tablespoon, dollop the peanut butter on top of the brownie batter. Use a knife to swirl the peanut butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow the brownies to completely cool before cutting.