November 28, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Deliciously rich and decadent, these cheesecake brownies are the perfect combination of flavors. A fudgy chocolate brownie base is topped with a creamy cheesecake layer swirled with even more brownie goodness.
Cheesecake Brownies Ingredients
The combination of indulgent chocolate brownie and tangy cheesecake is a match made in heaven.
The chocolatey brownie perfectly balances out the creaminess of the cheesecake, creating a dessert that’s truly unforgettable.
- Box of brownie mix and ingredients (typically vegetable oil, water, and eggs)
- 8-ounce package of cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 egg
Substitutions And Additions
BROWNIES: If you have a tried and true homemade brownie recipe, you could directly substitute it for the box mix.
Don’t forget to reserve a half cup for the brownie swirl.
MIX-INS: Add a half cup of walnuts, white chocolate chips, or milk chocolate chips to take this cheesecake recipe to the next level.
CREAM CHEESE: While cream cheese is the star of these brownies, you can experiment with different types of cream cheese for subtle variations.
Try using flavored cream cheese like strawberry or honey-flavored cream cheese to infuse a unique twist into the cheesecake swirl.
VANILLA EXTRACT: Vanilla extract is a versatile ingredient, and you can switch things up by using almond extract, hazelnut extract, or even a touch of rum extract.
These alternatives can impart a distinct and delightful flavor to your brownies.
Keep in mind that these extracts can be stronger than vanilla, so use them sparingly to avoid overpowering the other flavors.
NUTS: If you enjoy a bit of crunch and nutty flavor, consider adding chopped nuts to the brownie batter.
Walnuts, pecans, or almonds work wonderfully in this recipe. They not only provide a pleasant crunch but also complement the creamy cheesecake swirl.
Just be sure to chop them finely to ensure even distribution in the batter.
FRUIT COMPOTE: For a fruity twist, consider adding a fruit compote layer between the brownie and cheesecake layers.
Raspberry, strawberry, or cherry compote can complement the chocolate and creaminess beautifully.
Be mindful of the sweetness of the compote and adjust the sugar in the recipe accordingly.
ESPRESSO POWDER: To intensify the chocolate flavor, you can mix a teaspoon of espresso powder into the brownie batter.
This won’t make your brownies taste like coffee but will enhance the depth and richness of the chocolate. It’s a small addition that can make a big difference.
How To Make This Cheesecake Brownies Recipe
Making these brownies is super easy. First, whip up the brownie batter before spreading it in your pan. Then make the cheesecake topping which you will swirl into the top of the brownies before baking.
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line an 8×8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper and set it aside.
STEP TWO: In a large bowl, mix up the brownie mix according to the package instructions.
Reserve a half cup of brownie mix and pour the remaining batter into the prepared baking dish.
STEP THREE: In a separate mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract together until smooth.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature so that you don’t end up with lumps in your cheesecake mixture.
STEP FOUR: Gently beat in the egg.
STEP FIVE: Drop scoops of cream cheese mixture onto the brownie batter.
STEP SIX: Mix a tablespoon of water into the reserved brownie batter to thin it out just a bit.
Drop this remaining brownie batter over the top of the batter in the baking dish between the scoops of cream cheese filling.
STEP SEVEN: Use a butter knife or spatula to gently swirl the cheesecake batter and brownie batter.
A wooden skewer also works really well when swirling the batter together.
STEP EIGHT: Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the brownies comes out with just a few crumbs on it.
STEP NINE: Allow the brownies to cool completely before cutting into them.
If you try to cut your brownies before they are cooled enough, you won’t get clean cuts. Try to resist sampling until they are cool.
How To Serve These Cheesecake Brownie Bars
These fudgy cheesecake brownies are a treat that takes brownies to the next level of yum. Try our amazing cherry cheesecake brownies, too!
Serve with a cold glass of milk, or if you want to get extra indulgent, these cream cheese brownies paired with a whipped hot chocolate are absolutely heavenly.
Take your brownies to the next level by serving them warm with a scoop of your favorite ice cream.
When To Serve
DESSERT NIGHT: Host a dessert night with friends or family where everyone brings their favorite sweet treats and these cheesecake brownies will be the star of the show.
BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS: These brownies are perfect for birthday parties, whether it’s a child’s birthday with colorful decorations or an adult’s celebration with a touch of elegance.
POTLUCKS: When attending or hosting a potluck, these brownies are a crowd-pleaser. They’re easy to transport and share, and they’ll disappear quickly from the dessert table.
Storing These Cheesecake Chocolate Brownies
Pop these in the fridge or freezer to keep them fresh so that you can enjoy them later when the craving strikes.
MAKE AHEAD: Follow the recipe as directed, let them cool completely, and then cover them tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
Store them at room temperature for up to two days. If you need to store them longer, refrigerate or freeze them using the methods below.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store your homemade cheesecake brownies in an airtight container for up to five days.
Because of the cream cheese, we’d recommend keeping them in the refrigerator.
IN THE FREEZER: This cheesecake brownie recipe can be stored in the freezer for up to two months.
Why We Love This Recipe
PERFECT FLAVOR: These brownies offer the perfect balance of rich, fudgy chocolate and creamy cheesecake.
SIMPLE TO MAKE: The step-by-step instructions and clear guidance make it accessible to everyone.
IMPRESSIVE PRESENTATION: The marbled effect of the cheesecake swirl on top of the brownie base not only tastes amazing but also looks stunning.
Brownies and cheesecake go together like peanut butter and jelly, but these decadent cheesecake brownies take it one step further by adding swirls of cheesecake and brownies on top of a rich, fudgy brownie layer.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This easy recipe will freeze for up to two months in an airtight container.
If you have a favorite brownie recipe, you can use it instead of a boxed brownie mix.
Just remember to reserve a half cup for the chocolate swirl.
It is best to refrigerate these brownie cheesecake bars since they contain cream cheese.
They will keep in the fridge for up to four days.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- No Bake Cookies with Peanut Butter
- Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake Delight
- White Chocolate Caramel Fudge
- 1 box brownie mix and ingredients (typically vegetable oil, water, and eggs)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line an 8×8 square baking dish with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Mix up brownie mix according to package instructions. Reserve ½ cup brownie mix and pour the remaining batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Beat together cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Beat in egg gently.
- Drop scoops of cream cheese mixture onto the brownie batter.
- Mix a tablespoon of water into the reserved brownie batter to thin it out just a bit. Drop this remaining brownie batter over the top of the batter in the baking dish, between the scoops of cream cheese mixture.
- Use a knife or spatula to gently swirl the cream cheese mixture and brownie batter.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the brownies comes out with just a few crumbs on it.
- Allow brownies to cool completely before cutting into them.
- Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature so that you don’t end up with lumps in your cheesecake mixture.
- A wooden skewer also works really well when swirling the batter together.
- If you try to cut your brownies before they are cooled enough, you won’t get clean cuts. Try to resist sampling until they are cool.
Even More Recipes You’ll Love
- Baileys Cheesecake
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake
- Blackberry Cheesecake Recipe
- Lemon Cheesecake Recipe
- Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake
- No Bake Blueberry Cheesecake
- Christmas Cheesecake
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecakes
- Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars
- Brownie Bottom Cheesecake
- Oreo Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cookie Bars
- Pecan Pie Cheesecake
- Strawberry Shortcake Cheesecake