Last updated on
Table of Contents
Brookies are a rich chocolate brownie and a soft chocolate chip cookie all in one! These sweet bars are a favorite treat for any chocolate lover. Why choose between a cookie and a brownie? Have both!
If you really enjoy a great chocolate dessert, make sure you also check out our Chocolate Lasagna Recipe. It’s so pretty with layers of pudding, cream cheese, and Cool Whip over an OREO crust. Another too-good-to-miss recipe is Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake. Yes, mayonnaise! You’d never guess this secret ingredient was in the cake, but it really makes a the best ever chocolate cake.
You will need:
- 1 box brownie mix, plus the additional ingredients listed on the box (usually water, oil, and eggs)
- 1 stick of salted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ¾ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/.2 teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Extra Chocolate Chips: Try sprinkling ¼ cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips or chocolate chunks over top of the brookies before baking for an extra touch of chocolate.
Milk Chocolate Chips: We do not recommend using milk chocolate chips as they tend to burn too quickly. Semi-sweet chips are the way to go!
HOW TO MAKE THIS BROOKIES RECIPE
STEP ONE: Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper with overlapping sides so you can easily remove the brookies from the pan and cut into squares.
STEP TWO: Mix up the brownie batter according to the package directions. Pour the batter into the prepared 9×13 baking dish and set aside.
STEP THREE: In a separate bowl, add the softened butter, sugar, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract. Using an electric hand mixer, beat until mixture is light and fluffy. Set aside.
STEP FOUR: In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
STEP FIVE: Add dry mixture to wet ingredients and stir just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
STEP SIX: Drop spoonfuls of the cookie dough over the top of the brownie batter in the baking dish.
STEP SEVEN: Bake the brookies in the oven at 350F degrees for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brookies comes out clean.
PRO TIP: Ovens can vary quite a bit, so always rely on the toothpick testing method to tell you when the brookies are done. Your brookies could take up to 40 minutes to bake, depending on your oven. Check the brookies at 30 minutes, then continue to bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
STEP EIGHT: Let cool in the pan 15-20 minutes before serving.
IN THE FRIDGE: Keep the brookies in the pan and covered tightly with plastic wrap or transfer them to a food storage container with a lid. They will keep in the refrigerator for up to five days.
IN THE FREEZER: To freeze the brookies, place them in a zip top bag or an airtight food storage container and freeze for up to three months.
This delicious brookie recipe allows you to make brownies and chocolate chip cookies all at once in one amazing dessert bar. Whip up a batch today and enjoy the warm, gooey brookies with a cup of coffee or a glass of ice-cold milk.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- 1 box brownie mix plus additional box ingredients (water, oil, eggs, etc.)
- 1 stick salted butter softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper with overlapping sides so you can easily remove the brookies from the pan and cut into squares.
- Make box mix brownies per package directions. Pour into the 9×13 baking dish and set aside.
- In a separate bowl add softened butter, sugar, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract. Using a hand mixer, beat until mixture is light and fluffy. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl add flour, baking soda, and salt. Use a whisk to combine.
- Add dry mixture to wet ingredients. Use a large spoon to combine. Then add chocolate chips and mix together.
- Drop spoonfuls of cookie dough over the top of the wet brownie mix.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center of the brookies comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.