Never Think About What to Make for Dinner for the Next Two Months with My Lazy Cooking Bundle
Do you ever just crave a Wendy’s Frosty? I know I do, and you can skip the drive-thru line with this homemade copycat recipe. Combine 4 simple ingredients with a whisk and freeze for a few hours to make this milkshake.
ingredients for Wendy’s Frosty
You will need:
- 300 ml can of condensed milk
- 8-ounce container Cool Whip
- 8 cups of 1% chocolate milk
- 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract
Substitutions And Additions
Alcoholic: Make a grown-up frosty! We recommend using bourbon, whiskey, or vodka in this milkshake. Add an ounce and whisk in!
Whipped Cream: Add some whipped cream to the top of your frosty.
Cool Whip: Instead of cool whip, you can whip some cream until it is medium-to-firm. Use a 1:1 ratio. Here’s our recipe.
Chocolate Milk: I used regular 1% chocolate milk but chocolate almond milk will also work in this recipe.
How to Make A Homemade Wendy’s Frosty
STEP ONE: Get a large mixing bowl and whisk together the condensed milk and the Cool Whip.
STEP TWO: Add in the chocolate milk and vanilla extract and continue whisking it together until combined.
STEP THREE: Place the frosty mixture into a freezer-safe container and cover it tightly with a lid or plastic.
PRO TIP: If you don’t have a freezer-safe container large enough to hold all of the frosty mixture, divide it up into 2 or 3 smaller batches to put in the freezer. Make sure you don’t fill the container to the very top, the mixture will expand a bit as it freezes. If you freeze the frosty mixture in smaller batches, the freeze time will be slightly shorter.
STEP FOUR: Freeze the milkshake for 3 hours. Stir the mixture every hour until it has reached a frosty-like consistency.
PRO TIP: If you have an ice-cream maker you can use that instead of putting the frosty mixture into the freezer.
STEP FIVE: Spoon the ice cream into glasses and serve!
PRO TIP: I’ve made this using glass and plastic freezer containers. The mixture in the plastic freezes slightly faster than the mixture in the glass container.
IN THE FREEZER: This recipe has to stay frozen. Keep any extra ice cream in an air safe container for up to 1 month. Allow it to sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes to thaw; this will help the frosty become the desired consistency.
This copycat recipe tastes just like a real Wendy’s Frosty! It’s so easy to make and is such a yummy way to make ice cream at home!
We wouldn’t recommend storing it in the fridge as it will melt into a soupy drink. Instead, store in the freezer and let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes to return to desired consistency.
You can make a vanilla version, or even a strawberry version of this frosty treat by replacing the chocolate milk with plain milk or strawberry milk respectively.
The secret key ingredient is vanilla extract. It alters the flavor of the chocolate to give it a malt-like taste.
more recipes you’ll love
- 300 ml can condensed milk
- 8 oz container Cool Whip
- 8 cups 1% chocolate milk
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- In a large bowl whisk together the condensed milk and the Cool Whip.
- Add the chocolate milk and vanilla and continue whisking until combined.
- Place the frosty mixture into a freezer safe container. Cover tightly with a lid or plastic wrap and place in the freezer.
- Freeze for 3 hours stirring once every hour, until the frosty has reached the desired consistency.TIP: If you don’t have a freezer-safe container large enough to hold all of the frosty mixture, divide it up into 2 or 3 smaller batches to put in the freezer. Make sure you don’t fill the container to the very top, the mixture will expand a bit as it freezes. If you freeze the frosty mixture in smaller batches the freeze time will be slightly shorter.
- Spoon into glasses and serve.