September 19, 2022Review Recipe
Table of Contents
This frozen hot chocolate takes a deliciously cozy drink and puts a chilling spin on an already perfect treat. Halfway between a drink and a dessert, this creamy frozen chocolate beverage is topped with a swirl of whipped cream and chocolate chips.
Frozen Hot Chocolate Ingredients
- 1 cup of chocolate milk
- 2 packets of hot chocolate mix
- 1½ cups of crushed ice cubes
- Whipped topping
- Miniature chocolate chips
Use a high-quality hot chocolate powder. We recommend Hershey’s Hot Cocoa Mix or Swiss Miss Milk Chocolate Cocoa over any generic store brand of hot chocolate mix.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
CHOCOLATE MILK: You can use any kind of chocolate milk you wish, including non-dairy milk. Almond chocolate milk tastes particularly great.
HOT CHOCOLATE MIX: This frozen hot chocolate recipe is super chocolatey! If you want something a little less intense, use just one packet of the hot chocolate mix instead of two hot chocolate packets. You could also get creative since there are so many different flavors of hot chocolate beyond just the classic hot chocolate flavor.
MINIATURE CHOCOLATE CHIPS: Instead of chocolate chips, you could use chocolate shavings, chocolate curls, sprinkles, or mini marshmallows. Or just throw the whole lot on top!
CHOCOLATE SYRUP: Squirt a little chocolate syrup or chocolate sauce on the inside of the glass before you add the milk for a super-fancy milkshake-bar effect.
PEPPERMINT: Add a drop or two of peppermint extract to add a minty taste to your hot chocolate.
VANILLA: A few drops of vanilla extract would also add an extra level of sweetness to this drink.
How To Make This Frozen Hot Chocolate Recipe
STEP ONE: Chill two tall cocktail glasses in the freezer for at least five minutes.
Chilling the glasses is optional but worth it for the extra five minutes it takes. Freezing your glass not only keeps your drink nice and cold, but it also looks pretty cool too!
STEP TWO: Pour the milk, hot chocolate mix, and crushed ice into a blender, then blend until a smooth consistency.
If your hot chocolate powder doesn’t come in individual packets, you will want to use one to two servings, as described on the container.
STEP THREE: Pour the chocolate mixture into two chilled glasses. Top your chocolatey treat with whipped topping and miniature chocolate chips. Add a straw and enjoy!
How To Serve
This coffee shop drink is like a chocolate milkshake in a glass. Enjoy it with a spoon, or let it thaw a bit and drink it with a straw.
IN THE FRIDGE: Frozen hot chocolate doesn’t store well in the fridge.
IN THE FREEZER: This frozen hot chocolate doesn’t store well in the freezer either. Luckily, this fun treat only takes five minutes to make, so you won’t need to make it in advance.
We’ve tried and tested this homemade recipe and believe that it’s the best around. The frozen hot chocolate tastes so creamy and decadent, and the whipped topping is so refreshing! We’re sure that this frozen drink will be a huge hit with kids and adults on a hot summer day or to cool down during the cozy holiday season.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This easy recipe would also work well with non-dairy chocolate milk options, including chocolate almond milk.
This great drink does not keep well, so it is best to make it on demand. Since it only takes a couple of minutes to make, it shouldn’t be hard to whip up a batch anytime a craving hits.
The sky’s the limit of what you can add to your hot chocolate. Sprinkles, chocolate shavings, and mini marshmallows are all great choices.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Peanut Butter Balls Recipe
- Pumpkin Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust
- Magic Cookie Bars
- Italian Cookies
- Whipped Hot Chocolate
Frozen Hot Chocolate
- high-powered blender
- 1 cup chocolate milk
- 2 packets hot chocolate mix
- 1½ cup crushed ice
- whipped topping
- miniature chocolate chips
- Chill two glasses in the freezer for at least 5 minutes. This step is optional, but it helps keep the drink cool.
- Pour the milk, hot chocolate mix, and crushed ice into a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into two chilled glasses. Top with whipped topping and sprinkle with miniature chocolate chips.
- Use a high-quality hot chocolate powder. We recommend Hershey’s Hot Cocoa Mix or Swiss Miss Milk Chocolate Cocoa over any generic store brand of hot chocolate mix.
- Chilling the glasses is optional but worth it for the extra five minutes it takes. Freezing your glass not only keeps your drink nice and cold, but it also looks pretty cool too!
- If your hot chocolate powder doesn’t come in individual packets you will want to use one to two servings, as described on the box.