May 30, 2023Review Recipe
Baileys Hot Chocolate
Table of Contents
When the weather outside is frightful, there’s nothing more delightful than a steaming mug of this Baileys hot chocolate. Decadent, creamy, and the perfect way to chase away the winter chill, you only need three ingredients to make this classic cozy drink with an Irish twist.
Baileys Hot Chocolate Ingredients
This warm and creamy beverage has a rich chocolatey taste that will tantalize your taste buds with every sip.
The infusion of Baileys Irish Cream liqueur adds the perfect amount of sweetness that blends perfectly with the cocoa.
It’s the perfect treat to enjoy on a chilly evening or as an addition to your dessert course. You won’t be able to get enough of this delectable hot chocolate!
- 1¼ cups of whole milk
- 2½ tablespoons of double chocolate hot cocoa mix (I used the Ghirardelli brand)
- 2½ ounces of Baileys Original Irish Cream Liqueur
For The Garnish:
- Extra creamy squirt of whipped topping (I used Reddi Whip brand)
- Chocolate sauce for ice cream or drinks (I used the Ghirardelli brand)
- Semi-sweet chocolate shavings (I used a semi-sweet Ghirardelli baking bar)
Substitutions And Additions
HOT CHOCOLATE: I like to buy a good quality hot chocolate mix in bulk so that I can measure out just the amount of cocoa powder I need for each drink. This also allows you to add a little more powder mix if you enjoy an even richer hot chocolate. You can use milk chocolate, double chocolate, or dark chocolate cocoa mix for this recipe. I would avoid flavored chocolate cocoa mixes as they may not work well with the Baileys Irish Cream.
CHOCOLATE: I keep a really good quality semi-sweet chocolate bar in a storage bag in the refrigerator just to add chocolate shavings to cocktails and dessert garnishes. I use the small side of a box grater for my chocolate shavings.
WHIPPED CREAM: If you do not like the store-bought whipped toppings, then you can certainly use homemade sweetened whipped cream in its place for this alcoholic drink. You can add your homemade whipped cream to a piping bag and pipe out a pretty topping like the one you get from the squirt can.
MILK: You can use 2% milk if the whole milk is a little rich for your taste in this hot chocolate with Baileys. I do not suggest using low-fat or nonfat milk as they tend to give the hot chocolate a more watery consistency.
MARSHMALLOWS: Add a few marshmallows or other favorite toppings to each glass instead of the homemade whipped cream.
How To Make This Baileys Hot Chocolate Recipe
This drink will come together easily by combining warm milk, hot chocolate, and Baileys before garnishing with your favorite hot chocolate toppings.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Want a boozier drink? Reduce the amount of milk, or increase the amount of Baileys.
STEP ONE: In a microwave-safe large coffee mug (at least 12 to 14-ounce capacity), add the whole milk and microwave on high for 1 minute 45 seconds.
This makes one very large drink, so make sure your mug has at least a 12 to 14-ounce capacity.
STEP TWO: Whisk the double chocolate hot cocoa mix into the hot milk until no lumps remain.
I find that stirring the double chocolate hot cocoa mix with a spoon does not mix it very well. I use a small/narrow whisk or even one of those little battery-operated coffee frothers.
STEP THREE: Whisk the Baileys Original Irish Cream into the mug of hot chocolate.
STEP FOUR: Garnish Irish hot chocolate with the optional squirt of whipped topping, a drizzle of chocolate sauce, and semi-sweet chocolate shavings.
How To Serve
Curl up on a cold winter day with this creamy hot chocolate drink in your favorite mug. Add a plate of our Christmas pinwheels and our festive Grinch cookies for a delicious sweet treat.
Serve this drink for dessert along with our turtle dessert or cream puff dessert for an extra indulgent treat.
For warm, non-alcoholic options, our whipped hot chocolate and mint hot chocolate are both delicious too!
MORE HOT CHOCOLATE RECIPES
IN THE FRIDGE/FREEZER: This Baileys and hot chocolate should be served immediately to enjoy it while it is still hot. We don’t recommend trying to keep it for any length of time.
This decadent Baileys hot chocolate will warm your soul and leave you feeling satisfied. Enjoy a big mug on cold evenings this holiday season, or anytime you need to escape the chill. With only three ingredients, it will only take you a few minutes to whip up this tasty hot chocolate drink.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This delicious recipe would be yummy with non-dairy options such as soy milk, almond milk, or coconut milk.
This homemade hot chocolate will not keep in the fridge or freezer.
Cocoa powder naturally contains caffeine, so hot cocoa has some caffeine which can give you a little boost.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Oreo Milkshake
- Grinch Punch
- Chocolate Milkshake
- Cherry Kool-Aid Pie
- Jolly Rancher Drink
- Homemade Coffee Creamer
- Pink Drink Recipe
Baileys Hot Chocolate
- 1¼ cups whole milk
- 2½ tablespoons double chocolate hot cocoa mix, I used the Ghirardelli brand
- 2½ ounces Baileys Original Irish Cream Liquor
- Extra creamy squirt whipped topping, I used Reddi Whip brand
- Chocolate sauce for ice cream or drinks, I used the Ghirardelli brand
- Semi-sweet chocolate shavings, I used a semi-sweet Ghirardelli baking bar
- In a microwave-safe large coffee mug (at least 12 to 14-ounce capacity), add the whole milk and microwave on high for 1 minute 45 seconds.
- Whisk the double chocolate hot cocoa mix into the hot milk until no lumps remain.
- Whisk the Baileys Original Irish Cream into the mug of hot chocolate.
- Garnish with the optional squirt of whipped topping, a drizzle of chocolate sauce, and semi-sweet chocolate shavings.
- Want a boozier drink? Reduce the amount of milk, or increase the amount of Baileys.
- This makes one very large drink, so make sure your mug has at least a 12 to 14-ounce capacity.
- I find that stirring the double chocolate hot cocoa mix with a spoon does not mix it very well. I use a small/narrow whisk or even one of those little battery-operated coffee frothers.
Kimberly Newsom says
I would have a cinnamon roll or cinnamon coffee cake as a sweet treat with this.
Jean Robrahn says
I would use homemade whipped topping with this hot chocolate.
Nancy Lynch says
This sounds like a great drink to warm up with after a long day out skiing or snowmobiling in front of the fireplace. I would top it off with a Andies mint to add a hint of mint flavor to it.
I would use all 3 toppings for my husband.. whipped cream, choc sauce, & shavings. I better get some choc sauce made or bought :=))
I would also serve this as a dessert after dinner!
Love the taste, I just love any recipes made with Bailey’s! Hope you come out with many more new recipes made with Bailey’s!
Keep up the good recipes! Love them!
YUM! I would totally use the extra creamy Reddiwhip!
Gail Milner says
I’ll be using store bought canned whipped cream using it as part of a chocolate fundraiser.
Load More Comments