Table of Contents
This caramel apple dump cake combines layers of sweet apple pie filling and gooey caramel, for a cozy dessert you’ll want to dive into year-round. Plus it’s easy to make: simply dump all of the ingredients in a casserole dish and bake it!
CARAMEL APPLE DUMP CAKE INGREDIENTS
- 2 (20-ounce) cans of apple pie filling
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 of a 10.8-ounce bag of Werther’s Original Chewy Caramels, cut in half
- 1 box super moist butter yellow cake mix
- 3⁄4 cup salted butter, cut into 15 squares
- Optional: vanilla ice cream for serving
When buying the cake mix, it is best to pick one that doesn’t have pudding mix in it; check the label to make sure.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
PECANS: Sprinkle 1 cup of pecans (whole or chopped) onto your dump cake just before it goes into the oven for a delicious nutty crunch.
CARAMEL SAUCE: We also love this easy apple dump cake with caramel sauce! Top your apple caramel cake with cold vanilla ice cream and then a caramel drizzle over your plate for the ultimate version of this dessert.
FRUIT FILLINGS: This recipe could be made with any flavor of pie filling. Try pumpkin, blueberry, or raspberry for delicious options.
CAKE MIX: We used a yellow cake mix but you could use white cake mix or even a spice cake mix in this easy dessert recipe.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CARAMEL APPLE DUMP CAKE RECIPE
I make this in a 9×13 cake pan. You could halve the recipe and make it in an 8×8 baking pan as well if you’d rather.
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
STEP TWO: Dump both cans of apple filling into the baking dish. Sprinkle cinnamon and allspice over apples. Stir to mix. Smooth with a spatula.
STEP THREE: Cut 1⁄2 of the bag of caramels in half. Sprinkle them over the top of the apples.
STEP FOUR: Sprinkle cake mix over top. Smooth with a spatula.
STEP FIVE: Evenly add cold butter pieces to the top of the cake mix.
STEP SIX: Place in the oven and let the cake bake uncovered for 45 minutes. Rotate the pan halfway through cooking. The cake is done when the sides of the cake are bubbling and it is golden brown on top.
Because dump cakes are so gooey and moist, it can be hard to determine if they’re done. It’s normal to see some wet spots and some spots that are more crisp and done. The fruit mixture should be bubbly around the edges of the pan when it’s finished baking.
HOW TO SERVE
Serve this perfect dessert with whipped cream on top and a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side. The fall flavors would make this the ideal dessert during apple season when the weather is cooler. It’s easy enough to make for a weeknight dessert but fancy enough to serve for company.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store your leftover apple dump cake in an airtight container or covered in plastic wrap for 3 to 4 days in the fridge. You can also wrap and store individual pieces.
IN THE FREEZER: To freeze your caramel apple dump cake, wrap it in plastic wrap or keep it in an airtight container. The cake will keep for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat your cake, let it thaw in the fridge overnight and then reheat it in the microwave.
This is an easy recipe that creates the ultimate caramel apple dump cake that is ready in just under an hour. The hardest part of enjoying this rich caramel and apple pie dessert isn’t the steps—it’s the anticipation you’ll have waiting to eat it while it’s baking!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
You could pick from a variety of box cake mix options and any flavor would work fine in this recipe.
A dump cake is an easy and super moist cake in which the ingredients are simply dumped into the pan and baked. Usually, they use a box of cake mix and a handful of additional simple ingredients.
You could although the caramels may harden back up in the fridge. As long as you are planning to serve this warm, allowing the caramels to soften up again, you could easily make it ahead of time.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Caramel Apple Dump Cake
- 2 (20-ounce) cans apple pie filling
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ bag Werther's Original Chewy Caramels (10.8-ounce bag), cut in half
- 1 box super moist butter yellow cake mix
- ¾ cup salted butter cut into 15 squares
- vanilla ice cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray
- Dump both cans of apple pie filling into the baking dish. Sprinkle allspice and cinnamon over apples. Stir to mix. Smooth with a spatula.
- Cut ½ of the bag of caramels in half. Sprinkle them over the top of the apples
- Top with DRY cake mix. Smooth with a spatula.
- Evenly add cold butter pieces to the top of the cake.
- Place in the oven and let bake uncovered for 45 minutes. Rotate pan half way through cooking. The cake is done when the sides of the cake are bubbling and it is golden brown on top.