September 14, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
This chocolate dump cake is full of rich chocolate, three yummy kinds to be exact. Chocolate cake mix, chocolate pudding, and chocolate chips are baked together to create this amazingly moist cake. The best part is that you just pour all of your ingredients into the pan, bake, and enjoy; with only five simple ingredients, it couldn’t be easier than this.
Love this old-fashioned chocolate dump cake recipe? Try our other favorite dump cakes, including our chocolate cherry dump cake recipe that combines cherry pie filling with rich chocolate cake.
Chocolate Dump Cake Ingredients
You will need:
- ½ cup of unsalted butter (1 stick, 113 grams), melted but not hot
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix
- 1 (5.1-ounce) box of instant chocolate pudding
- 2 ½ cups of whole milk
- 1 (12-ounce) bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
When buying the cake mix, it is best to pick one that doesn’t have pudding mix in it; check the label to make sure.
Substitutions And Additions
Toppings: Chopped candy, nuts, toffee chips, or other types of baking chips (peanut butter chips) would also be great sprinkled on top. Drizzle caramel sauce on top for a more gooey flavor.
Chocolate chips: You could also substitute dark chocolate chips for the semi-sweet chips in this easy dump cake recipe.
Cake Mix: You could use either a plain chocolate cake mix or a devil’s food cake mix for this recipe for an even richer chocolate flavor.
How To Make This Chocolate Dump Cake Recipe
STEP ONE: Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Sprinkle the dry cake mix evenly in the dish.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
You’ll want to use a 9”x13″ pan so that the texture and consistency are right. I’ve used an 11″ x 7″ pan before, and it turned out a little too thick, which changed the delicious texture of the dump cake.
STEP TWO: Sprinkle the instant chocolate pudding mix evenly across the cake mix.
STEP THREE: Add the milk to the melted butter – make sure the butter is at room temperature and not hot, so the milk doesn’t curdle.
STEP FOUR: Pour the milk/butter mix on top of the cake and pudding mix.
STEP FIVE: Use a whisk to mix slightly – you don’t need to stir entirely, but you do want it slightly incorporated so that it bakes evenly.
STEP SIX: Sprinkle the entire bag of chocolate chips across the top.
STEP SEVEN: Bake in an oven preheated to 350°F for 40 to 45 minutes.
Because dump cakes are so gooey and moist, it can be hard to determine if they’re done. It’s normal to see some wet spots and some spots that are more crisp and done.
How to Serve
IN THE FRIDGE: Store this easy chocolate cake in the fridge covered tightly with plastic wrap for up to 5 days.
IN THE FREEZER: Store this chocolate chip dump cake in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight when you want to serve it, then bake at 350°F for 10 to 20 minutes until it’s warmed back through.
Dump cakes are so easy because you pour the dry ingredients and wet ingredients together in a single pan and bake; no mixing is required.
Next to our brownie cake, this must be one of the easiest chocolate cake recipes out there. That also means no dishes afterward, which is fantastic in my book!
This chocolate brownie dump cake, full of all that heavenly chocolate, will be an easy dessert you can make time and time again.
Frequently Asked Questions
A dump cake is an easy cake in which the recipe calls for the ingredients to be dumped into the baking pan and baked. Usually, they use a boxed cake mix and a handful of additional ingredients.
You can make chocolate dump cake up to 2 days ahead of time. Since it is best served warm, make sure to warm it up again before serving.
This moist chocolate cake is an easy recipe that is completely customizable. Sprinkle whichever sweet toppings you wish, including coconut, toffee bits, chocolate chips, sprinkles, or nuts. You could also add frosting, whipped cream, or a drizzle of chocolate sauce on top and a scoop of ice cream on the side.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Steak and Cheese Quesadillas
- Best Mississippi Pot Roast
- Baked Tuna Casserole
- Homemade Steak Marinade
- Crockpot Mac & Cheese
- Camping Potatoes Recipe
- Grinch Cookies Recipe with Hershey Kisses
- Chili Crockpot Recipe
- Mini Mint Cheesecake
- Mint Chocolate Brownies
- Blueberry Cheesecake Dump Cake
- Apple Dump Cake
- Funnel Cake
- Strawberry Dump Cake
- Heaven on Earth Cake
- Pumkin Dump Cake
- Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake
- Tornado Cake
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole Recipe
- Recipe for Beef Tips
- What to Serve with Dirty Fries
- Best Crack Cake Recipe
- Philly Cheese Steak Pasta
- Easy Recipe for Custard Pie
- Halloween Drinks for Kids
- Candy Bar Brownies
- Triple Chocolate Cookies
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake
- Icebox Cake (Chocolate)
- Cajun Cake
- Banana Upside Down Cake
- Caramel Apple Dump Cake
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups
- Brownie in a Mug
- Peanut Butter Cookie Lasagna
- Brownie Pie
- Frito Pie Bake
- Orange Julius Copyat
- Mongolian Beef Dish
- Butter Chicken Recipe Crockpot
- Ambrosia Fruit Salad
- Double Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe
- Chicken Casserole with Ritz Crackers
- Cherry Dr Pepper Cake
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Brownie Bombs
- Brownie Batter
- Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake Recipe
- Whipped Cream Frosting for Cupcakes
- Better than Anything Cake
- Creamy Mushroom Pasta Sauce
- How to Make a Puffy Taco
- Pineapple Upside Down Dump Cake
- Pecan Pie Bars with Shortbread Crust
- Oven Baked Beans
- Homemade Hostess Cupcakes
- Easy Tiramisu
- Seven Up Cake
- Simple Peach Crisp Recipe
- Old Fashioned Chocolate Meringue Pie
- No Bake Twinkie Cake
- Hot Mexicorn Dip
- Strawberry Angel Food Dessert
- Peach Cobbler Pound Cake with Canned Peaches
- Coca Cola Cake
- Recipe for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Oreo Cookie Pie
- Banana Bread with Buttermilk
- Oven Pot Roast Recipe
- Bacon Wrapped Little Smokies with Brown Sugar
- Butter Pecan Sugar Cookies
- Brownie Cupcakes
Chocolate Dump Cake
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted but not hot (1 stick or 113 grams)
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 5.1 ounces instant chocolate pudding
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Spray a 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick spray and preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Sprinkle the chocolate cake mix evenly in the dish.
- Sprinkle the instant chocolate pudding mix evenly across the cake mix.
- Add the milk to the butter – make sure the butter isn’t hot, so the milk doesn’t curdle.
- Pour the milk/butter mix on top of the cake and pudding mix.
- Use a whisk to mix slightly – you don’t need to stir entirely, but you do want it slightly incorporated so that it bakes evenly.
- Sprinkle the entire bag of chocolate chips across the top.
- Place in the oven to bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Serve warm with ice cream.