July 20, 2022Review Recipe
Table of Contents
This icebox cake recipe is a cold dessert made with crunchy graham crackers in between a creamy mixture of Cool Whip and cream cheese. Mixed in, are layers of creamy, rich chocolate icing for a cool, sweet treat that you don’t want to miss!
Icebox Cake Ingredients
- 1 (8-ounce) package of cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8-ounce) container Cool Whip
- 1 (16-ounce) tub chocolate fudge icing
- One box of chocolate graham crackers
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
GRAHAM CRACKERS: If you don’t have chocolate graham crackers, or if you don’t prefer them, you can use regular graham crackers in their place. For another fun twist, you could use thin chocolate chip cookies as a base instead.
ICING: You can use any flavor of icing that you like. If you want to stick with chocolate, you can use dark chocolate fudge, milk chocolate, or regular chocolate. You could even make a homemade chocolate ganache if you’d like. If you prefer to switch things up, you could use vanilla, cream cheese, or buttercream.
WHIPPED CREAM: If you want to make homemade whipped cream instead of using Cool Whip and you have heavy whipping cream on hand, check out our whipped cream recipe.
How To Make This Icebox Cake Recipe
STEP ONE: In a large bowl using a hand mixer on medium speed or in the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Make sure your cream cheese is room temperature, otherwise, you will end up with lumps in your mixture.
STEP TWO: Fold the Cool Whip into the cream cheese mixture.
STEP THREE: Remove the lid and foil seal from the container of icing. Microwave the container of chocolate fudge icing for 30 seconds. Then stir and set it aside.
STEP FOUR: On the bottom of an 8×8 pan, place a single layer of graham crackers. You may have to break some pieces to fill the bottom.
STEP FIVE: Spread one-third of the cream cheese and Cool Whip mixture over the layer of chocolate cookies.
STEP SIX: Pour about ½ cup of the softened icing over this layer of cream cheese and Cool Whip. Make sure the icing is pourable but not too hot to melt down the cream cheese mixture. Spread gently with the back of a spoon or an icing spreader.
STEP SEVEN: Place another layer of cookies over the frosting.
STEP EIGHT: Add a layer of cream cheese on top of the graham crackers.
STEP NINE: Place another one-third of the cream cheese mixture and top that with ½ cup of softened icing.
STEP TEN: Place the last layer of graham crackers and remaining cream cheese.
STEP ELEVEN: Chill for at least two to four hours in the fridge covered in plastic wrap to allow the layers to soften. Overnight works, too!
Chilling overnight will allow all the flavors to mingle and blend together even more!
STEP TWELVE: Before serving, reheat the last bit of icing and drizzle the melted chocolate over the cake and individual servings. You can also add an optional garnish of crushed graham cracker crumbs, a drizzle of caramel sauce, and chocolate shavings or chocolate curls.
How To Serve
Serve this delicious dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side and whipped cream on the top. You could even add fresh fruit on the side for a pop of color. Take this to your next party and I guarantee, there will be no leftovers.
On the hunt for other no-bake cake recipes that also use simple ingredients like Cool Whip and cream cheese? Check out this jello poke cake and this no-bake eclair cake. Both are easy, delicious desserts, and require no baking at all.
IN THE FRIDGE: Your icebox cake should always be stored in the fridge, whether it’s between servings or as leftovers. This will keep it from melting and becoming a huge mess. You can keep your cake in the fridge for up to 3 days, before the layers of graham crackers will begin to get a bit mushy.
IN THE FREEZER: Another option is to store this classic recipe in the freezer. I personally love it this way. It’s almost like an ice cream treat for hot summer days. You can keep it in the freezer for up to a month. It’s great to have stored when the sweet tooth comes knockin’! I recommend letting it thaw for a bit before cutting out a piece when it’s frozen.
Our chocolate icebox cake recipe is made by creating layers of cream cheese and Cool Whip filling, crunchy graham crackers, and chocolate icing. It’s then placed in the fridge to make for a cold and creamy, decadent dessert. The hardest part is waiting for it to chill. It’s so delicious!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
You can freeze this delicious cake covered for up to a month.
For the layers of cookies, you could replace the chocolate graham crackers with plain graham crackers or vanilla wafers.
This would be a delicious dessert to take to a potluck. The only thing to keep in mind is that it needs to be kept in the fridge as much as possible so that it doesn’t turn into a puddle.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Butter Pecan Crunch
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Lasagna
- Pineapple Dream Dessert
- Lemon Lush
- Oatmeal Cake
- Cool Whip Frosting
- Strawberry Crunch Poke Cake
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 16 ounces chocolate fudge icing
- 1 box chocolate graham crackers
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer, cream the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla together until smooth.
- Fold the Cool Whip into the cream cheese mixture.
- Remove the lid and foil seal from the container of icing. Microwave the container of chocolate fudge icing for 30 seconds, stir and set aside.
- On the bottom of an 8×8 pan, place a single layer of graham crackers. You may have to break some crackers into pieces to fill the bottom.
- Spread ⅓ of the cream cheese/Cool Whip mixture over this layer of graham crackers.
- Pour about ½ cup of the softened icing over this layer of cream cheese and Cool whip. Make sure the icing is pourable but not too hot to melt down the cream cheese mixture. Spread gently with the back of a spoon or an icing spreader.
- Place a layer of chocolate graham crackers over the fudge icing.
- Place another one-third of the cream cheese mixture and top that with ½ cup of softened icing.
- Place the last layer of graham crackers and then cream cheese.
- Chill for at least two to four hours to allow the layers to soften. Overnight works too!
- Before serving reheat the last bit of icing and drizzle over the cake and individual servings.
- Garnish cake with crushed graham cracker crumbs, optional.
- Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature, otherwise, you will end up with lumps in your mixture.
- Chilling overnight will allow all the flavors to mingle and blend together even more!