Never Think About What to Make for Dinner for the Next Two Months with My Lazy Cooking Bundle
This chocolate cherry dump cake is so simple to make: just pour your cherry pie filling in a casserole dish, top with chocolate cake mix and butter and you’re ready for baking. It’s just a few minutes work but tastes so good.
I love making dump cakes. They don’t require mixing or measuring. Just like their name, you dump your ingredients right into the baking dish and pop into the oven.
Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake Ingredients You Will Need:
- Two 20-ounce cans of cherry pie filling
- Box chocolate cake mix – something rich like Devil’s Food
- 1 cup butter, melted
PRO TIP: Sometimes a pit sneaks into your canned cherry pie filling. I suggest taking a quick glance when pouring your cherries out to be sure there isn’t a pit inside.
How to Make a Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake:
You’ll want to use a 13″ x 9″ pan so that the texture and consistency are right. I’ve used an 11×7 pan before and it turned out a little too thick, which changed the delicious texture of the dump cake.
- Spray a 13″ x 9″ casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Pour two cans of cherry pie filling evenly along the bottom.
- Sprinkle cake mix over the top, again evenly.
- Pour melted butter evenly across the whole dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes until fruit is bubbly and cake is cooked through.
PRO TIP: Because dump cakes are so gooey and moist, it can be hard to determine if they’re done. It’s normal to see some wet spots and some spots that are more crisp and done. The fruit mixture should be bubbly around the edges of the pan when it’s finished baking.
Part of the delight of this classic recipe is the consistency, so it’s okay if it seems undercooked compared to normal cakes.
Reheating this Recipe:
You’ll want to serve this chocolate cherry dump cake right away, while it’s still warm, for the best flavor. I often top it with a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream. You could also top with whip cream if you like.
If you’ve frozen your dump cake or stored it in the fridge, you might want to reheat it before serving. You can microwave single servings for a quick sweet treat or pop the entire dish back in the oven to bake at 350 degrees for 10-20 minutes until it’s warmed back through.
This simple chocolate cherry dump cake recipe is easy enough to be made for a weekday dessert, but it’s also impressive enough to be part of your holiday feast or family gathering.
More recipes YOU’LL LOVE
Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
- 2 large 20-ounce cans cherry pie filling
- 1 box chocolate cake mix - something rich like Devil’s Food
- 1 cup butter melted
- Spray 13x9 with cooking spray
- Pour 2 cans of cherry pie filling evenly along bottom
- Sprinkle cake mix over the top, again evenly
- Pour melted butter evenly across the whole dish
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes until fruit is bubbly and cake is cooked through