November 15, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
- What Is Bourbon Chicken?
- Bourbon Chicken Recipe Ingredients
- Bourbon Chicken Substitutions And Additions
- How To Make the Best Bourbon Chicken Recipe
- How To Make Bourbon Chicken Marinade
- How To Make Bourbon Chicken In the Crockpot
- How To Serve This Recipe For Bourbon Chicken
- Best Bourbon Chicken Recipe Storage
- Why We Love This Recipe
- The Best Bourbon Chicken Recipe
- Bourbon Chicken Recipe FAQs
- More Recipes You’ll Love
- JUMP TO RECIPE
- Even More Easy Recipes
This delicious bourbon chicken recipe is a play on the classic takeout favorite. It has a sweet and tangy sauce that coats the juicy chicken just perfectly to make a quick and simple dish to feed the whole family.
What Is Bourbon Chicken?
Bourbon chicken is a dish named after Bourbon Street in New Orleans, Louisiana, and for the bourbon whisky that is added to the sauce.
Bourbon Chicken Recipe Ingredients
The sauce, a blend of apple juice, ketchup, soy sauce, and brown sugar, offers a balanced profile with hints of fruitiness and umami.
Ginger and garlic add depth, while red pepper flakes provide a gentle kick to this tasty dish.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon of pepper
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- ¼ cup of apple juice
- ¼ cup of ketchup
- ½ cup of soy sauce
- ¼ cup of water
- ⅔ cup of light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon of ground ginger
- 3 teaspoons of garlic, minced
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Sliced green onions (for garnish)
If you have bourbon on hand, replace ¼ cup apple juice with ¼ cup of bourbon.
Bourbon Chicken Substitutions And Additions
BOURBON: The marinade-style sauce does typically have bourbon in the recipe, which lends itself to the name—though it is also named for its real origin, New Orleans’ famous Bourbon Street.
If you do not have bourbon at home, you can easily substitute it for apple juice. If you do use bourbon, the alcohol will evaporate off as the sauce simmers, so it is fine for the entire family.
MEAT: This recipe uses boneless chicken breasts. However, if you prefer a more tender cut, you can also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
Shrimp is also a great substitution for chicken.
SEASONING: Red pepper flakes are a wonderful addition to this recipe if you like a bit of kick.
Add between ⅛ to ¼ teaspoons when making the sauce, depending on how much spice you like.
Another option would be to add in a bit of sriracha for some extra heat.
How To Make the Best Bourbon Chicken Recipe
Once we cook the pieces of chicken, they will be simmered in the tasty sauce before it is ready to enjoy.
STEP ONE: Chop the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and pat them dry with a paper towel. Toss the chicken in a large bowl with one tablespoon of cornstarch.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
To keep this recipe at a quick prep and cook time, you’ll want to be sure that your chicken is fully thawed before you begin cooking it.
STEP TWO: In a large skillet over medium heat, add sesame oil. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink. Drain all the juices from the pan.
Return the skillet to the stove and continue to cook the chicken over medium heat until the chicken is browned and the bottom of your skillet is browned as well.
Use as large a skillet pan as you have to allow the chicken to brown easily.
STEP THREE: In a medium bowl, combine the pepper, onion powder, apple juice, ketchup, soy sauce, water, brown sugar, ground ginger, minced garlic, one teaspoon of cornstarch, and optional red pepper flakes.
STEP FOUR: Once the chicken is browned, add your sauce mixture.
Using a spoon, deglaze the bottom of the pan and make sure to get all of the browned bits up and off of the bottom of the pan. Bring the sauce to a boil.
STEP FIVE: Once the sauce is boiling, turn the heat down to low and allow it to simmer for five to seven minutes, stirring often.
STEP SIX: Once the sauce is done simmering, remove it from the heat and allow it to sit for five minutes to thicken.
STEP SEVEN: Serve over white rice and enjoy.
How To Make Bourbon Chicken Marinade
The bourbon chicken marinade is made by combining all the ingredients in the recipe and giving the chicken time to marinate in it.
How To Make Bourbon Chicken In the Crockpot
To make this easy bourbon chicken in the crockpot, you’ll want to follow all of the instructions with just a few minor changes for the slow cooker version:
- You will use half the amounts of the recipe sauce ingredients because they won’t cook down as well in a crockpot as they do in the skillet.
- After cooking the chicken, place it (along with the sauce) in the crockpot and cook on low for about five hours.
- Add in the last teaspoon of cornstarch and cook on high for 30 more minutes.
How To Serve This Recipe For Bourbon Chicken
I always serve this flavorful chicken dish over a big bed of jasmine rice. In my opinion, no Asian-inspired dinner is ever a complete meal without rice!
Check out our Instant Pot brown rice recipe for another solid choice.
However, you could also try this over noodles, zucchini noodles, or over a big bed of mixed veggies.
Looking for some other dishes full of Asian flavor? You have got to try our better than takeout fried rice.
I also love our orange chicken, since it’s a great recipe I can make in the crockpot.
Best Bourbon Chicken Recipe Storage
Here’s a handy guide on how to store your bourbon chicken, whether you’re planning to enjoy it later in the week or freeze it for a future feast.
MAKE AHEAD: If you want to plan ahead, you can prepare the bourbon chicken in advance and store it in the refrigerator.
Cooked bourbon chicken can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three to four days.
This makes it a convenient option for meal prep, allowing you to enjoy the flavors without the hassle of cooking on busy days.
IN THE FRIDGE: To store this sticky bourbon chicken recipe in the fridge, place it in an airtight container and make sure the sauce covers the chicken completely.
It will keep well in the refrigerator for up to three to four days.
IN THE FREEZER: If you have more bourbon chicken than you can handle, freezing is a fantastic option to preserve its yumminess.
First, allow the chicken and sauce to cool completely. Then, transfer it to a freezer-safe container or a heavy-duty resealable bag.
It will keep for up to a month in the freezer.
REHEATING: When it’s time to enjoy your stored bourbon chicken, you have several options for reheating:
- STOVETOP: Place the frozen or refrigerated chicken in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally and add a splash of water or chicken broth if the sauce has thickened too much. Heat until it’s warmed through.
- OVEN: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Place the chicken in an oven-safe dish, cover with foil, and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until it’s heated to your liking.
- MICROWAVE: For a quick fix, you can use the microwave. Place a portion of the chicken on a microwave-safe plate, cover it with a microwave-safe lid or microwave-safe paper towel, and heat it on medium power in 1-minute intervals, checking for desired warmth.
Why We Love This Recipe
IRRESISTIBLE FLAVOR: The sauce, made from a combination of brown sugar, soy sauce, and spices, creates a rich and delectable taste that’s hard to resist.
EASY TO PREPARE: With step-by-step instructions and simple ingredients, you can whip up a restaurant-quality dish in the comfort of your own kitchen.
CROWD PLEASING: Bourbon chicken is a crowd-pleaser at gatherings and family dinners. Its delectable taste and tender chicken make it a hit with both kids and adults.
The Best Bourbon Chicken Recipe
You are never going to order Chinese food takeout again after this, it’s seriously that good. I love the tangy sweetness of the bourbon sauce. It hits the spot every single time. This bourbon chicken is definitely one of my favorites!
Bourbon Chicken Recipe FAQs
Typically, you will find that bourbon chicken does call for real bourbon in the recipe. However, here we have substituted bourbon for apple juice. This has a similar flavor when it’s all said and done.
Whiskey, brandy, or scotch would all work in place of the bourbon.
Chicken thighs would also be delicious in this recipe.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
- One Pot Chicken and Rice
- Baked Crack Chicken
- Cheeseburger Casserole
- Crockpot Crack Chicken
- Chicken Marsala
Bourbon Chicken Marinade
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ cup apple juice
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- Chop chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and pat dry with a paper towel. Toss chicken in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon cornstarch.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add sesame oil. Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink. Drain all juices from the pan. Return the skillet to the stove and continue to cook the chicken over medium heat until the chicken is browned, and the bottom of your skillet is "browned" as well.
- In a medium bowl, combine pepper, onion powder, apple juice, ketchup, soy sauce, water, brown sugar, ground ginger, minced garlic, 1 teaspoon of cornstarch, and optional red pepper flakes. Whisk together.
- Once the chicken is browned, add your sauce mixture. Using a spoon, deglaze the bottom of the pan and make sure to get all of the browned bits up and off of the bottom of the pan. Bring the sauce to a boil.
- Once the sauce is boiling, turn the heat down to low and allow it to simmer 5 to 7 minutes, stirring often.
- Once the sauce is done simmering, remove it from heat and allow it to sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Serve over white rice and enjoy.
- Use as large a skillet pan as you have to allow the chicken to brown easily.
- To keep this recipe at a quick prep and cook time, you’ll want to be sure that your chicken is fully thawed before you begin cooking it.
- If you have bourbon on hand, replace ¼ cup apple juice with ¼ cup of bourbon.
Even More Easy Recipes
- Crockpot Ranch Pork Chops
- Sticky Sesame Cauliflower
- Slow Cooker Coca Cola Chicken
- Coca-Cola Chicken
- Fried Pork Chops
- Diet Coke Chicken
- Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Peanut Butter Chicken
- One Pot Chicken Pasta
- Chicken Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Korean Chicken
- Chicken Fried Rice
- Bang Bang Shrimp
- Baked Chicken Thighs
- Longhorn Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- French Onion Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenderloins
- Easy Grilled Chicken with Beer Marinade
- Baked BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Creamy Italian Chicken
- Cajun Shrimp
- Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Pot Pie Bake
- Easy Chicken Pot Pie