January 13, 2022
Table of Contents
Our egg roll in a bowl recipe takes everything normally stuffed inside an egg roll and places it in a bowl – like an egg roll stir fry. Use coleslaw mix, ground beef, and a delicious blend of spices and there will be no reason to order deep-fried egg roll take out. This homemade version is delicious and filling.
EGG ROLL IN A BOWL INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced finely
- 16 ounce bag coleslaw mix
- ½ cup carrots, peeled and finely shredded
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ to ¾ cup soy sauce, I used a little over ½ cup
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Green onion for garnish, optional
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
GROUND GINGER: If you don’t have any ground ginger, you can substitute with equal parts of ground all spice.
SESAME OIL: Sesame oil provides an authentic asian flavor, but you can substitute almost any oil you want, including regular oil vegetable oil.
VEGGIES: The onion, coleslaw, and carrots are traditional egg roll veggies, but you can add in others as well. Peas, edamame, or bean sprouts make a nice addition.
VEGETARIAN: You can leave out the beef and add extra veggies to make this vegetarian.
MEAT: You can substitute ground turkey, pork, or chicken instead of the ground beef if you wish.
HOW TO MAKE THIS EGG ROLL IN A BOWL RECIPE
STEP ONE: Cook ground beef in a large deep-sided skillet over medium heat until no longer pink. Be careful to NOT break the ground beef into smaller pieces. Keep the pieces larger.
STEP TWO: Drain grease and return to the stovetop. Add onions and minced garlic and cook until meat is deeper browned. Again, keep the ground beef in larger pieces.
PRO TIP: Keep your pan a bit cooler to not burn the garlic. You can always turn it up higher if needed, but burnt garlic will add a sour flavor to your recipe.
STEP THREE: Add 2 tbsp sesame oil, carrots, and cabbage to the skillet. Use tongs to combine. Let cook for about 5 minutes.
PRO TIP: Check your supermarket for pre-shredded carrots to save yourself some time.
STEP FOUR: In a small separate bowl combine onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, ground ginger, soy sauce, and vegetable oil. Pour over meat and cabbage mixture.
PRO TIP: You can bring out the flavor of the spices by rubbing them together in your palms before adding them to the pan. You can also use a mortar and pestle.
STEP FIVE: Reduce heat and continue to cook for about 5 minutes.
STEP SIX: Serve hot!
IN THE FRIDGE: Store your recipe in the fridge in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days. You can store it in individual containers to take for quick lunches.
IN THE FREEZER: Place leftovers in an airtight freezer-safe storage container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Egg roll in a bowl is all the yummy, seasoned beef and veggies from the center of an egg roll combined with a savory, Chinese-inspired sauce. This recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes and cooks up easily all in one pan.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Shrimp Fried Rice
- Kung Pao Chicken
- Better Than Take-Out Fried Rice
- Honey Garlic Chicken
- Cabbage Roll Casserole
- Thai Noodles
Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion diced finely
- 16 oz coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup carrots peeled and finely shredded
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- ½ to 3/4 cup soy sauce I used a little over ½ cup
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- green onion for garnish (optional)
- Cook ground beef in a large deep sided skillet over medium heat until no longer pink. Be careful to not break the ground beef into smaller pieces, keep the pieces larger.
- Drain grease and return to the stovetop. Add onions and minced garlic and cook until meat is browned, again, keep the ground beef in larger pieces.
- Add 2 tbsp sesame oil, carrots, and cabbage to the skillet. Use tongs to combine. Let cook for. about 5 minutes.
- In a small separate bowl combine onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, ground ginger, soy sauce, and vegetable oil. Pour over meat and cabbage mixture.
- Reduce heat and continue to cook for about 5 minutes.