July 26, 2022Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Our egg roll in a bowl recipe takes everything normally stuffed inside an egg roll and places it in a bowl – like an egg roll stir fry. Use coleslaw mix, ground beef, and a delicious blend of spices and there will be no reason to order deep-fried egg roll take out. This homemade version is delicious and filling.
EGG ROLL IN A BOWL RECIPE INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced finely
- 16 ounce bag coleslaw mix
- ½ cup carrots, peeled and finely shredded
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ to ¾ cup soy sauce, I used a little over ½ cup
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Green onion for garnish, optional
EGG ROLL BOWL SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
GROUND GINGER: If you don’t have any ground ginger, you can substitute with equal parts of ground all spice.
SESAME OIL: Sesame oil provides an authentic asian flavor, but you can substitute almost any oil you want, including regular oil vegetable oil.
VEGGIES: The onion, coleslaw, and carrots are traditional egg roll veggies, but you can add in others as well. Peas, edamame, or bean sprouts make a nice addition.
VEGETARIAN: You can leave out the beef and add extra veggies to make this vegetarian.
MEAT: You can substitute ground turkey, pork, or chicken instead of the ground beef if you wish.
HOW TO MAKE EGG ROLL IN A BOWL
STEP ONE: Cook ground beef in a large deep-sided skillet over medium heat until no longer pink. Be careful to NOT break the ground beef into smaller pieces. Keep the pieces larger.
STEP TWO: Drain grease and return to the stovetop. Add onions and minced garlic and cook until meat is deeper browned. Again, keep the ground beef in larger pieces.
Keep your pan a bit cooler to not burn the garlic. You can always turn it up higher if needed, but burnt garlic will add a sour flavor to your recipe.
STEP THREE: Add 2 tbsp sesame oil, carrots, and cabbage to the skillet. Use tongs to combine. Let cook for about 5 minutes.
Check your supermarket for pre-shredded carrots to save yourself some time.
STEP FOUR: In a small separate bowl combine onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, ground ginger, soy sauce, and vegetable oil. Pour over meat and cabbage mixture.
You can bring out the flavor of the spices by rubbing them together in your palms before adding them to the pan. You can also use a mortar and pestle.
STEP FIVE: Reduce heat and continue to cook for about 5 minutes.
STEP SIX: Serve hot!
SERVING EGG ROLL BOWLS
STORING EGG ROLL IN A BOWL WITH COLESLAW MIX
IN THE FRIDGE: Store your recipe in the fridge in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days. You can store it in individual containers to take for quick lunches.
IN THE FREEZER: Place leftovers in an airtight freezer-safe storage container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Egg roll in a bowl is all the yummy, seasoned beef and veggies from the center of an egg roll combined with a savory, Chinese-inspired sauce. This recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes and cooks up easily all in one pan.
EGG ROLL BOWL RECIPE FAQs
There are plenty of favorite sauces that are often served with egg rolls. Sweet chili sauce, hoisin, sriracha, and plum sauce are tasty choices.
While our recipe for egg roll in a bowl doesn’t include eggs, you can certainly add a scrambled egg to this recipe for added protein.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion diced finely
- 16 oz coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup carrots peeled and finely shredded
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- ½ to 3/4 cup soy sauce I used a little over ½ cup
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- green onion for garnish (optional)
- Cook ground beef in a large deep sided skillet over medium heat until no longer pink. Be careful to not break the ground beef into smaller pieces, keep the pieces larger.
- Drain grease and return to the stovetop. Add onions and minced garlic and cook until meat is browned, again, keep the ground beef in larger pieces.
- Add 2 tbsp sesame oil, carrots, and cabbage to the skillet. Use tongs to combine. Let cook for. about 5 minutes.
- In a small separate bowl combine onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, ground ginger, soy sauce, and vegetable oil. Pour over meat and cabbage mixture.
- Reduce heat and continue to cook for about 5 minutes.