Slow cooker recipes always bring comfort food to mind, and this recipe is no exception. Saucy chicken is slow-cooked to tender perfection making this slow cooker Coca Cola chicken a fantastic choice for busy weeknights.
Slow Cooker Coca Cola Chicken Ingredients
You will need:
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (fresh or frozen)
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 teaspoons of minced onion flakes
- ½ teaspoon of garlic salt
- 1½ cup barbecue sauce, divided
- 12 ounces of Coca-Cola, divided
Substitutions and Additions
Coca Cola: If you prefer to use Diet Coke, you are more than welcome to substitute it for the regular version.
Spice: Kick up the spice a notch by adding a sprinkle of red pepper flakes to the rest of the seasoning.
How to Make This Slow Cooker Coca Cola Chicken Recipe
STEP ONE: Place chicken breasts in the bottom of a 6-quart crockpot.
STEP TWO: Sprinkle pepper, minced onion flakes, and garlic salt over the chicken.
STEP THREE: Pour ½ cup of the barbecue sauce over the chicken. Pour 1 cup of Coca-Cola into the slow cooker.
STEP FOUR: Cover and set on a high setting for 4 hours or low for 6 to 7 hours.
PRO TIP: Every slow cooker is slightly different. You may have to adjust the cooking times slightly depending on your particular model.
STEP FIVE: After the chicken has cooked for about 3 hours on high (or 5 hours on low), drain all liquid from the slow cooker, leaving the chicken in the pot. Add the remaining ½ cup of Coca-Cola and the remaining 1 cup of barbecue sauce to the slow cooker. Continue cooking for the remaining hour.
PRO TIP: There will be quite a bit of liquid in the slow cooker after the chicken has cooked through. Draining that liquid and then adding additional cola and extra BBQ sauce makes a nice, thick sauce for serving and also allows the chicken some extra time to cook to “shred” level.
STEP SIX: Serve the whole chicken breast with sauce spooned over the top or shred the chicken and mix with the excess sauce.
PRO TIP: If you want shredded chicken, it is best to do it when it is still warm; make sure you do this right when it comes out of the slow cooker.
How To Serve
Serve this crock pot BBQ Coca Cola Chicken recipe alongside rice and a green salad. How about having your chicken dinner with potato salad and coleslaw on the side for a satisfying meal? If you plan to serve the chicken shredded, serve it on a bun with dill pickle pasta salad on the side. Add our iced tea, raspberry iced tea, sweet peach iced tea, or our southern strawberry sweet tea on the side, and you are all set!
IN THE FRIDGE: Refrigerate the barbecue chicken for up to 4 days stored in an airtight container.
IN THE FREEZER: Freeze this slow cooker cola chicken for up to three months in an airtight container or plastic freezer bag.
Tender chicken slowly simmered in a tangy sauce makes this slow cooker coke chicken an amazing and flavorful choice the next time you are looking for easy dinner recipes. During cooking, the barbecue sauce and soda infuse the chicken with a sweet and smoky flavor that can’t be beat.
You can freeze this BBQ chicken in an airtight container for up to three months.
You can certainly use a different type of soda in this recipe. Either a different brand of cola or even root beer or Dr Pepper. Of course, the taste may change slightly by using other soft drinks, but it will still come out yummy.
You can serve coca cola chicken with white rice and a green salad or alongside a selection of cold salads for a complete meal.
more recipes you’ll love
Slow Cooker Cocoa Cola Chicken
- 6 chicken breasts boneless and skinless (fresh or frozen)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion flakes minced
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 ½ cup barbecue sauce divided
- 12 ounces Coca-Cola divided
- Spread the chicken breasts in the bottom of a 6-quart crockpot.
- Sprinkle the pepper, minced onion flakes, and garlic salt over the chicken. Pour ½ cup of the barbecue sauce over the chicken.
- Pour 1 cup Coca-Cola into the slow cooker.
- Cover and set on a high setting for 4 hours or low for 6 to 7 hours.
- After the chicken has cooked for about 3 hours on high (or 5 hours on low), drain all liquid from the slow cooker, leaving the chicken in the pot. Add the remaining ½ cup of Coca-Cola and the remaining 1 cup of barbecue sauce to the slow cooker. Continue cooking for the remaining hour.
- Serve whole with sauce spooned over the top or shred chicken and mix with excess sauce.