November 1, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
This chicken casserole is packed with juicy chicken, fresh vegetables, easy-to-cook egg noodles, and a Ritz cracker topping. Perfect for busy weeknights because it’s quick to make, this dish is a creamy and filling meal that the whole family will enjoy.
Chicken Casserole Ingredients
This chicken casserole is a comforting and hearty dish that combines sautéed red bell pepper, onion, and celery with rich and cheesy ingredients.
The result is a satisfying blend of savory, gooey, and crunchy elements, making this casserole a classic comfort food favorite.
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 2 (10.5-ounce) cans of cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup of half and half cream
- 2 cups of sharp cheddar, shredded (shred your own cheese so it melts best!)
- 3 cups of cooked egg noodles
- 1½ pounds of chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of parsley
For The Topping:
- 1 sleeve of Ritz crackers
- 4 tablespoons of butter, melted
- 1 cup of sharp cheddar, shredded
Substitutions And Additions
PASTA: You can substitute egg noodles 1:1 with any other medium pasta in this simple recipe.
Be sure to cook the pasta so that it’s still a tad firm because it will cook more while in the oven.
CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP: If you’re looking for a different soup base, consider using cream of mushroom, cream of celery, or even cream of broccoli soup.
Each will infuse the casserole with its unique flavor while maintaining the creamy texture of the dish.
SHARP CHEDDAR: Feel free to experiment with different cheese varieties to alter the flavor profile.
Monterey Jack, Gouda, or Swiss cheese can provide a delightful twist. Just remember that milder cheeses may yield a less intense cheesy taste.
VEGETABLES: Fresh and crisp vegetables like mushrooms, broccoli, or carrots make great additions.
If you’re thinking about adding vegetables to your casserole, make sure they are pre-cooked. Leftovers work great for this!
CHICKEN: You can also use leftover chicken made at home or shredded leftover rotisserie chicken from the grocery store in this recipe.
How To Make This Chicken Casserole Recipe
Once you prep all the tasty ingredients, spread them in a pan and bake until warm and bubbling.
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
STEP TWO: In a Dutch oven, add olive oil, bell pepper, onion, and celery.
Cook until onion is translucent and peppers and celery are becoming tender about five to six minutes.
STEP THREE: Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring to prevent the garlic from burning.
STEP FOUR: Add cream of chicken soup and half and half, then stir to combine.
STEP FIVE: Once heated through, add cheese. Continue to stir to melt.
It’s best to shred your own cheese in the cream sauce, it melts better that way and you can shred more as needed.
STEP SIX: Add the cooked egg noodles and shredded chicken once the cheese is all melted.
STEP SEVEN: Season with parsley, salt, and pepper.
STEP EIGHT: Remove from the heat and pour the chicken mixture into the prepared 9×13 baking dish.
STEP NINE: Place the Ritz crackers in a Ziploc bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
STEP TEN: Add crackers to a medium bowl. Stir in the melted butter and one cup of shredded cheddar.
Spread the topping over the casserole dish.
STEP ELEVEN: Place the dish in the preheated oven uncovered and bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
STEP THIRTEEN: Serve warm and enjoy!
If you prefer, you can serve this dish straight from the pan!
How To Serve
If you’re still looking for more of that irresistible cheese flavor, our cheese biscuits pair perfectly with our chicken casserole.
Looking for more great meal ideas?
MORE CASSEROLE RECIPES
Whether you want to make this dish ahead of time or store leftovers for later, here’s a handy guide to help you get the most out of your casserole.
MAKE AHEAD: If you’d like to prepare this casserole in advance, you can assemble it up to the point just before baking.
Cover the casserole dish tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
When you’re ready to enjoy it, simply remove it from the fridge, uncover it, and bake it according to the original recipe instructions.
Note that if you refrigerate the casserole before baking, the noodles may absorb some of the liquid, so you might want to add extra sauce or cream before baking.
IN THE FRIDGE: While the egg noodles might not hold up too great if you freeze them, they can still be stored in the fridge.
Cover the casserole dish, and leave stored in the fridge for up to three days.
IN THE FREEZER: We don’t recommend freezing this dish as the egg noodles may end up mushy when you thaw it.
REHEATING: To reheat your chicken casserole, there are a few methods you can choose from:
- OVEN: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Cover the casserole dish with foil and bake for about 20-30 minutes or until heated through.
- MICROWAVE: Place a serving of the casserole on a microwave-safe plate, cover it with a microwave-safe lid, and reheat in one to two-minute intervals, stirring in between until warmed to your liking.
Why We Love This Recipe
COMFORT FOOD CLASSIC: This chicken casserole embodies the warmth and comfort of classic comfort food with its creamy, cheesy goodness combined with tender chicken and pasta.
CUSTOMIZABLE: Whether it’s experimenting with different cheese varieties, adding your favorite veggies, or adjusting seasonings, this recipe is adaptable.
CROWD PLEASER: This casserole is a hit with both adults and kids alike. Its rich and comforting flavors make it a go-to recipe for family gatherings, potlucks, or cozy weeknight dinners.
This cheesy chicken casserole recipe will easily be a family favorite with its delicious egg noodles, creamy filling, and crispy, Ritz cracker topping.
With plenty of melted cheese, this filling casserole is a delicious, family-friendly meal that’s perfect for dinner tonight.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Any type works in this chicken recipe. Try mozzarella, Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, or spicy jalapeño cheese.
There are lots of choices when it comes to what kind of chicken you use in this casserole. You can cook the chicken ahead of time at home to use in this casserole or you can buy a rotisserie chicken or other store-bought, cooked chicken to use instead.
You can substitute the egg noodles with any short pasta in this recipe.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mushrooms
- Creamy Garlic Pasta
- Minestrone Soup
- Roasted Vegetables
- Cream Cheese Pasta
- Broccoli Salad
- Bacon Cheddar Biscuits
For the Casserole
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 (10.5-ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup half and half cream
- 2 cups sharp cheddar, shredded (shred your own cheese so it melts best!)
- 3 cups egg noodles, cooked
- 1½ pounds chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the Topping
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers
- 1 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven, add olive oil, bell pepper, onion, and celery. Cook over medium-high heat until onion is translucent and the pepper and celery are becoming tender, about 5 to 6 minutes
- Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring to prevent the garlic from burning.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add cream of chicken soup and half and half, then stir to combine.
- Once heated through, add cheese. Continue to stir to melt.
- Add cooked egg noodles and shredded chicken once the cheese is all melted.
- Season with parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and pour into the prepared 9×13 baking dish.
- Place the Ritz crackers in a ziplock bag and crush them with a rolling pin. Add the crackers to a medium bowl.
- Stir in melted butter and 1 cup shredded cheddar.
- Spread the topping over the casserole dish.
- Place the dish in the preheated oven uncovered and bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- It’s best to shred your own cheese in the cream sauce, it melts better that way and you can shred more as needed.
- If you prefer, you can serve this dish straight from the pan.
Even More Recipes You’ll Love
- Mexican Casserole
- Hamburger Casserole
- Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Pot Pie with Tater Tots
- Ultimate Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- Unstuffed Pepper Casserole
- Tuna Casserole
- Cowboy Casserole
- Lasagna Casserole
- Vegetable Casserole
- Cabbage Roll Casserole