This delicious chicken casserole is a classic dinner coming to you straight from Grandma’s recipe box. It boasts tender noodles layered with veggies, chicken, cheese, and a rich, creamy sauce for an irresistible meal. This traditional homemade casserole is best when served bubbly and warm from the oven.
Need more ideas for what’s for dinner? These casserole recipes are sure to please. This hamburger casserole is a reader favorite! We love chicken enchiladas, buffalo chicken sliders, and baked ziti with chicken. More favorites include this tuna casserole, cowboy casserole or easy lasagna casserole. You’ll never have a boring dinner again when you try one of these 18 ways to make chicken breast exciting. My grandma’s easy vegetable casserole is the perfect addition to any meal.
Chicken Casserole Recipe
This simple chicken casserole is a favorite for us. This crowd-pleasing dinner idea comes straight from my Southern Grandma’s recipe box and never disappoints.
Our whole gang loves the cheesy, creamy sauce, tender noodles, and yummy chicken baked inside a casserole pan. It’s the perfect supper served bubbly and warm after baking in the oven.
My boys have declared it the best with its award-winning flavor. It’s hard to beat the classic recipes, that’s for sure!
Chicken Casserole Ingredients You will need
- 1 T olive oil
- Red bell pepper, chopped
- Medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1.5 pounds chicken, cooked and chopped
- 1 can mushrooms (4 oz), drained
- 3.5 cups dry egg noodles, cooked al dente
- 6 oz cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- 2 oz mozzarella cheese, freshly shredded
- 2 cans cream of celery soup (10.5 oz)
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 T fresh parsley, chopped
Sometimes I like to add in a little broccoli as well. I’ve also seen this baked with crushed crackers on to, so you could add that if you’d like.
How to Make Chicken Casserole
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add pepper, onion, and celery and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
In a small bowl whisk together the cream of celery soups and milk, then set aside.
In a large mixing bowl combine cooked pepper, onion, and celery, chicken, mushrooms, egg noodles, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, and cream of celery soup mixture.
Pour mixture into the baking dish and bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes.
Let cool slightly, serve warm topped with fresh chopped parsley.
Can You Freeze Chicken Casserole?
You sure can freeze chicken casserole! You can do this two ways.
First, you can assemble all the ingredients and then freeze it unbaked. When you’re ready to serve, remove from the freezer and thaw in the fridge, then follow the baking instructions.
You could also freeze a baked casserole — be sure to cool it completely and wrap it tightly before freezing. Then thaw it overnight in the fridge before baking the next day.
This would be a great meal to make ahead of time and stow away for a fast meal on a busy night or to give to a new mom.
I hope you enjoy this tasty chicken casserole with your family soon!
More Recipes to Love
- Easy Chicken and Dumplings
- Chicken Parmesan Dip
- Coca Cola Chicken Drumsticks
- Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Chinese Chicken Salad Recipe
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Instant Pot Chicken Wings
- Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 12 Yummy Tater Tot Recipes
- 1 T olive oil
- Red bell pepper chopped
- Medium onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1.5 pounds chicken cooked and chopped
- 1 can mushrooms 4 oz, drained
- 3.5 cups dry egg noodles cooked al dente
- 6 oz cheddar cheese freshly shredded
- 2 oz mozzarella cheese freshly shredded
- 2 cans cream of celery soup 10.5 oz
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 T fresh parsley chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add pepper, onion, and celery and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together cream of celery soups and milk, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine cooked pepper, onion, and celery, chicken, mushrooms, egg noodles, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, and cream of celery soup mixture.
- Pour mixture into baking dish and bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, serve warm topped with fresh chopped parsley.