September 5, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Sinfully delicious and creamy, this classic chocolate milkshake will make you think you are sitting in a diner sipping the chocolatey goodness. Chocolate ice cream, thick cream, and plenty of fun toppings make this drink a truly decadent treat.
Chocolate Milkshake Ingredients
This luscious treat offers a delightful balance of sweetness and creaminess.
Toppings like whipped cream, chocolate syrup, chocolate sprinkles, and maraschino cherries add playful texture creating a truly indulgent experience.
- 2½ cups of chocolate ice cream (about 5 scoops)
- ½ cup of half-and-half cream
- ⅓ cup of chocolate syrup
- Canned whipped topping (optional garnish)
- Chocolate syrup (optional drizzle)
- Chocolate sprinkles (optional garnish)
- Maraschino cherries with the stem attached (optional garnish)
For the thickest milkshake, you should choose full-fat ingredients for this recipe.
Substitutions And Additions
CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM: Any brand of chocolate ice cream can be used for the recipe. Low-fat or full-fat ice cream both work fine.
You can also use a dairy-free ice cream if you wish.
MALT: You can add one to two tablespoons of malt powder for a tasty chocolate malt.
MILK: This frosty chocolate milkshake comes out the creamiest with half and half cream.
You can substitute whole milk, skim milk, or dairy-free milk such as oat milk, almond milk, or other nut milk.
TOPPINGS: Chocolate sprinkles are perfect on top of this decadent drink but you could change it up and top it with chocolate shavings or mini chocolate chips.
What about a drizzle of maple syrup?
How To Make This Chocolate Milkshake Recipe
The handful of ingredients get mixed up in the blender before you pour it into a fancy glass and add your favorite toppings.
STEP ONE: Using a blender, blend together the chocolate ice cream, half and half, and ⅓ cup of chocolate syrup. Blend just until combined.
STEP TWO: Drizzle chocolate syrup inside the milkshake glasses.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
You can also use heated hot fudge to drizzle inside the shake glasses.
STEP THREE: Evenly divide the milkshake between the two milkshake glasses.
STEP FOUR: Top with a thick layer of canned whipped topping.
STEP FIVE: Drizzle with the chocolate syrup and sprinkle with the chocolate sprinkles. Top with a maraschino cherry.
Add a colorful straw and a long handled spoon when serving your drink. Sip what you can and then scoop up the extra chocolate goodness with your spoon.
How To Serve This Chocolate Shake
This homemade chocolate milkshake would also be a great treat to make and serve at a birthday party.
Serve with bowls of topping options – maraschino cherries, chocolate chips, rainbow sprinkles – and everyone can top them as they like.
Storing The Best Chocolate Milkshake
IN THE FREEZER: Leftover milkshakes will lose their texture and won’t keep well.
One option if you do have leftovers is to pour the remainder into ice pop molds for yummy popsicles.
Beyond decadent, this chocolate milkshake is a heavenly sweet treat that everyone will love sipping. Skip the restaurant and whip this up at home with only a few simple ingredients.
Frequently Asked Questions
Leftover milkshakes won’t keep well, but if you do have any leftovers, you could pour them into an ice pop mold for yummy popsicles.
Using full-fat ingredients instead of low fat will thicken this chocolate ice cream milkshake. You can also replace the chocolate syrup with hot fudge sauce and add a frozen banana for an even thicker drink.
You sure can! If you prefer a non-dairy version, just replace the dairy ingredients with non-dairy substitutes.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Oreo Milkshake
- Frozen Hot Chocolate
- Cherry Kool-Aid Pie
- Kool-Aid Slurpee
- Gingerbread Fudge
- Campfire Cocktail
- Double Chocolate Chip Frappuccino
- Red Velvet Ice Cream
- No Churn Vanilla Ice Cream
- Birthday Cake Ice Cream
- Mint Chocolate Chip Milkshake
- Ice Cream Dessert
- Dole Popsicles
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream
- Margarita Popsicles
- Strawberry Frosty
- Banana Milkshake
- Mudslide Drink
- Root Beer Popsicles
- 2½ cups chocolate ice cream, about 5 scoops
- ½ cup half and half cream
- ⅓ cup chocolate syrup
- canned whipped topping, optional garnish
- chocolate syrup, optional drizzling
- chocolate sprinkles, optional garnish
- maraschino cherries with stem attached, optional garnish
- Using a blender, blend together the chocolate ice cream, half and half, and ⅓ cup of chocolate syrup. Blend just until combined.
- Drizzle the chocolate syrup inside the milkshake glasses.
- Evenly divide the milkshake between the 2 milkshake glasses.
- Top with a thick layer of canned whipped topping.
- Drizzle with the chocolate syrup and sprinkle with the chocolate sprinkles. Top with a maraschino cherry.
- For the thickest milkshake, you should choose full-fat ingredients for this recipe.
- You can also use heated hot fudge to drizzle inside the shake glasses.
- Add a colorful straw and a long-handled spoon when serving your drink. Sip what you can and then scoop up the extra chocolate goodness with your spoon.