Whether you’re planning a buffet for a party or just want to prep some tasty packed lunches for the family, these Buffalo chicken pinwheels are sure to be crowd-pleasers. Also known as Buffalo chicken roll ups, these pinwheels have a spicy chicken and cheese filling wrapped in a flour tortilla to create tempting bite-sized appetizers.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE BUFFALO CHICKEN ROLL UPS
You will need:
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 5 oz Frank’s Red Hot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce
- ½ cup bleu cheese, crumbled
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup Colby-Jack cheese, shredded
- ⅓ cup green onions, chopped
- 5 large flour tortillas
INGREDIENT SUBSTITUTIONS & ADDITIONS
ROTISSERIE CHICKEN: Chicken breasts can be used for this recipe. Cook on the stovetop over a medium heat until cooked through. Shred while still hot using two forks and allow to cool before adding to the cheese mixture.
SALAD: If you have vegetarian guests, you may wish to make some of the roll-ups without the chicken, perhaps using lettuce or tomatoes to add bulk.
COLBY-JACK CHEESE: Most cheeses will work in place of Colby-Jack, including Monterey Jack, cheddar, gouda or muenster cheese.
HOT SAUCE: Whilst Frank’s is the traditional sauce used to make Buffalo chicken, you could use other hot sauces such as Tabasco.
DIP: A serving of ranch dressing provides an ideal dip for Buffalo chicken pinwheels.
HOW TO MAKE BUFFALO CHICKEN PINWHEELS
STEP ONE: In a large mixing bowl add the cream cheese, hot pepper sauce, bleu cheese, salt, garlic powder, Colby-Jack cheese, and green onions. Using a hand mixer with beaters, blend until it’s well-mixed and there are no large chunks.
STEP TWO: Shred the rotisserie chicken into small pieces. If the pieces are too large, the roll-ups will be lumpy. Add the chicken into the mixing bowl with the other ingredients and mix well.
STEP THREE: Spread about ¾ of a cup of Buffalo chicken mixture onto each tortilla. Roll it up tightly, trying not to shift the Buffalo chicken mixture too much.
STEP FOUR: Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-4 hours. After chilled, remove plastic wrap. Use a sharp knife to cut it into slices (discard the end pieces) and serve.
STORING THIS RECIPE
IN THE FRIDGE
If preparing in advance of a party, wrap the tortilla roll-up in plastic wrap before cutting it up and place it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
IN THE FREEZER
Most Buffalo chicken pinwheels can be frozen with no issues. However, if you add any ingredients such as lettuce or other leafy greens, these won’t freeze well. If you plan on adding any salad to your pinwheels, you might want to serve it on the side rather than within the tortilla wrap.
You can store pinwheels in the freezer for up to three months. Either freeze them whole before cutting or, in the case of leftovers, you can freeze individual pinwheels. To prevent the pinwheels from sticking together, freeze them on a tray lined with parchment for two hours before transferring to a freezer-safe storage bag. Defrost overnight in the fridge before serving.
TIPS FOR MAKING BUFFALO Tortilla Roll Ups
- Use a cocktail stick or toothpick to keep each Buffalo chicken tortilla roll up from unrolling
- Make sure that your cheese is crumbled and your chicken is shredded as small as possible to prevent your roll-ups from looking lumpy
- When slicing, wipe your knife clean between each slide for the best presentation
- This recipe tastes great served cold, but it’s not necessary to refrigerate the pinwheels before serving them.
These Buffalo chicken pinwheels are always a hit with guests at a party. The combination of rotisserie chicken, Frank’s Red Hot sauce, and cream cheese mixture is as addicting as it is delicious. They’re so easy to make and are sure to be a great addition to any buffet or lunchbox.
More PARTY REcipes You’Ll Love
Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
- 1 rotisserie chicken shredded (about 3 cups)
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 5 oz Frank's Red Hot Original Sauce
- 1/2 cup bleu cheese crumbled
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup colby jack cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup green onions chopped
- 5 large flour tortillas
- In a large mixing bowl add cream cheese, Frank’s Red Hot Original Sauce, bleu cheese, salt, garlic powder, colby jack cheese, and green onions. Using a hand mixer with beaters, mix until well blended and no cream cheese chunks remain.
- Add shredded chicken to buffalo mixture and stir well with a large spoon. Coat all chicken with buffalo mixture.
- Spread about ¾ cup buffalo chicken mixture onto a tortilla. Roll up tightly, trying not to shift the buffalo chicken mixture too much.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator 2-4 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator and use a sharp knife to cut into slices. Discard the end pieces.
- Serve immediately.