November 13, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
- Chicken Tortilla Roll-Ups Ingredients
- Substitutions And Additions
- How To Make This Chicken Tortilla Roll-Ups Recipe
- How To Serve Cream Cheese Tortilla Roll-Ups
- Storing Chicken And Cheese Tortilla Roll-Ups
- Why We Love This Recipe
- Frequently Asked Questions
- More Recipes You’ll Love
- JUMP TO RECIPE
- Even More Recipes You’ll Love
These chicken tortilla roll-ups are the perfect finger food to serve for an easy appetizer or meal. A soft tortilla is stuffed with a delicious mixture of velvety cream cheese, tender chicken, tomatoes, and cheddar cheese for an amazingly flavorful dish.
Chicken Tortilla Roll-Ups Ingredients
If you’re trying to decide what to serve at your next party or gathering, look no further than chicken tortilla roll-ups.
These savory bites pack a punch of flavor in every bite, with tender chicken, zesty spices, and tangy cheese all wrapped up in a soft tortilla shell.
- 1 (8-ounce) package of cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup of sour cream
- ½ teaspoon of coarse black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of chili powder
- ½ teaspoon of garlic salt
- ¼ cup of sliced green onions, green parts
- 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups of diced, cooked chicken (I used leftover rotisserie chicken, diced very small)
- 1 (10-ounce) can of Rotel (loosely drained, a bit of the juice is fine)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of finely diced jalapeño, seeds, and core removed (more or less to taste)
- 1 cup of canned black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 4 burrito-size flour tortillas
Chop the chicken quite small so that it spreads out in the mixture and makes a more uniform filling. Use leftover rotisserie or grilled chicken breasts. You could probably even use canned chicken.
Substitutions And Additions
MIX-INS: There are plenty of additional things you can choose from to mix into your cream cheese mixture.
Try salsa, hot sauce, more jalapeños, corn, green chiles, olives, avocado, or bacon.
CHEESE: You can use any cheese you’d like in this recipe.
It would be tasty with Monterey Jack, Colby Jack, Pepper Jack, or a Tex-Mex cheese blend.
ROTISSERIE CHICKEN: Chicken breasts can be used for this recipe. Cook on the stovetop over medium heat until cooked through.
Shred while still hot using two forks and allow to cool before adding to the cheese mixture.
How To Make This Chicken Tortilla Roll-Ups Recipe
Our easy instructions will walk you through making the creamy filling and assembling these easy tortilla wraps.
STEP ONE: In a large bowl, use a hand mixer or wooden spoon to combine cream cheese, sour cream, pepper, chili powder, and garlic salt.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature so that you don’t end up with any lumps in your mixture.
STEP TWO: Use a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to gently mix in green onions, cheddar cheese, leftover chicken, Rotel, jalapeño, and black beans.
Stir until evenly mixed.
STEP THREE: Place each tortilla on a sheet of plastic wrap.
STEP FOUR: Spread about one cup of the mixture over the face of each tortilla.
Roll the tortilla up tightly and wrap the plastic wrap around it to hold the shape.
STEP FIVE: Refrigerate for a minimum of one hour to allow the flavors to combine and to firm up the tortilla and mixture for slicing into pinwheels.
Don’t skip the chilling step as it will be much easier to slice the tortillas once they are chilled.
STEP SIX: Use a sharp knife to slice the tortillas into ¾ to 1-inch slices. Serve on a serving platter.
How To Serve Cream Cheese Tortilla Roll-Ups
These chicken enchilada roll-ups are the perfect appetizer to serve on game day. The great flavors in them are always a crowd-pleaser.
Pinwheel recipes are always a fun treat whether for a party or an easy lunch. Check out our buffalo chicken pinwheels which are stuffed with a yummy mixture of chicken, blue cheese, and buffalo sauce.
They would also be a fantastic treat to add to a lunchbox for a fun, bite-sized lunch with a lunch lady brownie for dessert.
MORE CHICKEN RECIPES
Storing Chicken And Cheese Tortilla Roll-Ups
If you’re wondering what to do with the leftovers or how to prepare them in advance for a future fiesta, we’ve got you covered on all things storage.
MAKE AHEAD: You can absolutely make these chicken tortilla roll-ups ahead of time.
Prepare them following the recipe, roll them up, and then tightly wrap the entire log in plastic wrap.
Place it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before slicing and serving.
IN THE FRIDGE: Store tortilla rolls in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator for two to three days.
MAKE-AHEAD: This simple recipe can be made up to a day in advance. Keep the rolled tortillas whole and wrapped in plastic wrap. Slice just before serving.
IN THE FREEZER: We don’t recommend freezing tortilla roll-ups as the filling may become soggy and watery once thawed.
Why We Love This Recipe
QUICK AND EASY: With simple ingredients and straightforward steps, they come together in no time, making them perfect for busy weeknights or impromptu gatherings.
PARTY READY: Whether you’re hosting a party or attending a potluck, these roll-ups are always a hit. They’re easy to transport, serve, and share, making them a go-to choice for any social gathering.
KID-FRIENDLY: Kids and adults alike can’t resist the delightful combination of tender chicken, creamy cheese, and savory seasonings rolled up in a tortilla.
These Mexican chicken tortilla roll-ups are an ideal choice for a cold appetizer or added to a platter of sandwiches at a party or summer picnic. They are full of so many delicious flavors of tender chicken, juicy tomatoes, cream cheese, and spices. Once sliced, they look so fancy in their pinwheel form.
Frequently Asked Questions
We find that corn tortillas don’t roll as well in this easy recipe. Stick with soft flour tortillas if you can for the best result.
You can make these chicken roll-ups with cream cheese ahead of time. Just leave them unsliced and wrap them in plastic wrap. Slice them when you are ready to serve them.
You could use diced fresh tomatoes in this recipe in place of the canned Rotel. Or what about mixing up a simple Pico de Gallo salsa?
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Sheet Pan Quesadillas
- Potato Chip Chicken Tenders
- 30 Minute Chicken Chimichanga
- White Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- Chicken Enchiladas
- Enchilada Cups
Chicken Tortilla Roll-Ups
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon coarse black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ cup green onions, sliced (green parts)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and diced (I used rotisserie meat, diced very small)
- 10 ounces Rotel, loosely drained, a bit of the juice is fine
- 1 to 2 tablespoons jalapeño, finely diced with seeds and core removed (more or less to taste)
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 flour tortillas, burrito-size
- In a mixing bowl, use a hand mixer or wooden spoon to beat together cream cheese, sour cream, pepper, chili powder, and garlic salt.
- Use a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to gently mix in green onions, cheddar cheese, chicken, Rotel, jalapeño, and black beans. Stir until evenly mixed.
- Place each tortilla on a sheet of plastic wrap.
- Spread about 1 cup of the mixture over the face of each tortilla. Roll the tortilla up tightly and wrap the plastic wrap around it to hold the shape.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of one hour to allow the flavors to combine and to firm up the tortilla and mixture for slicing into pinwheels.
- Slice the tortillas into ¾ to 1-inch sections. Serve.
- Chop the chicken quite small so that it spreads out in the mixture and makes a more uniform filling. Use leftover rotisserie or grilled chicken breasts. You could probably even use canned chicken.
- Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature so that you don’t end up with any lumps in your mixture.
- Don’t skip the chilling step as it will be much easier to slice the tortillas once they are chilled.
Even More Recipes You’ll Love
- Burrito Bowl
- Zucchini Mushroom Chicken
- Taco Bell Frito Burrito
- Mexican Corn on the Cob
- Baked Chicken Thighs
- Pineapple Salsa
- Sun Dried Tomato Stuffed Chicken
- Sheet Pan Fajitas
- Peanut Butter Chicken
- Chicken Rice Casserole
- Lemon Chicken
- Chicken Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Chicken Pot Pie with Tater Tots
- Smothered Chicken
- Honey Butter Skilled Corn
- Recipe for Coke Chicken
- Crispy Honey Chicken
- Korean Chicken
- Million Dollar Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Marsala
- Mexican Lasagna