September 18, 2023Review Recipe
Table of Contents
Combine the best of two comfort foods with this chicken pot pie with tater tots. A creamy sauce, tender chicken, and vegetables are topped with a crispy potato crust and finished off with gooey melted cheese for a meal that will be a weeknight winner.
Chicken Pot Pie With Tater Tots Ingredients
If you’re looking for comfort food that hits the spot, chicken pot pie with tater tots might be just what you need.
With its creamy filling of chicken, vegetables, and warm spices, it’s the ultimate savory pie that’s perfect for any occasion. And when paired with the hearty crunch and fluffy texture of tater tots, it’s even yummier!
The savory goodness of chicken pot pie combined with the crispy texture of tater tots makes it an irresistible combination.
- 4 tablespoons of salted butter, melted
- ½ cup of diced yellow onion
- ¼ cup of all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1¼ cups of whole milk
- 1 cup of chicken broth (or 1 cup of water + 1 teaspoon of chicken bouillon)
- 2 ounces of cream cheese
- 1 cup of frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup of corn
- 2 cups of diced, cooked chicken
- 32-ounce bag of frozen tater tots
- 4 ounces of grated cheddar cheese
The cream cheese is optional. It provides a little extra creaminess, but the filling is rich and thick enough to set without the cream cheese.
Substitution And Additions
POTATOES: Yukon gold tater tots seem to work best for this recipe as they bake up to a nice golden brown.
CHICKEN: Any type of cooked or leftover chicken will work well.
Rotisserie chicken, cooked chicken breasts or thighs, or even cooked turkey are excellent choices.
VEGGIES: This recipe is very flexible as to which vegetables are added to the pot pie mixture.
Choose your favorite frozen vegetable medley or even include a few fresh vegetables.
TATER TOTS: If you prefer a thinner top than the tater tot crust, you could replace them with a layer of mashed potatoes for a shepherd’s pie type of dish.
You could also use hash browns to achieve a thinner top but with the same crispy outer shell.
Now you can even get cauliflower or broccoli tots that you could use instead of the traditional version.
How To Make This Chicken Pot Pie With Tater Tots Recipe
Instead of using a traditional crust for this recipe, tater tots will top the creamy pot pie filling. Finish it all off with a sprinkle of cheese and bake it to bubbling perfection.
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 425°F.
In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
Add the diced onions and sauté until the onion is translucent, about three to four minutes.
STEP TWO: Add the flour, salt, and pepper.
Cook, stirring constantly until the flour mixture begins to brown, about three to four minutes.
STEP THREE: Slowly stir or whisk the chicken broth and whole milk into the flour mixture. Stir constantly while pouring just a bit at a time to make a smooth mixture.
STEP FOUR: Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring constantly to ensure that the milk does not burn on the bottom of the pan.
Cook until the mixture begins to bubble and thickens slightly, about five minutes.
Remove from the heat.
STEP FIVE: Stir in the cream cheese, frozen vegetables, and diced chicken.
Stir to mix evenly.
STEP SIX: Pour chicken mixture into a 9×13 casserole dish. Spread the tater tots evenly over the top.
OUR RECIPE DEVELOPER SAYS
For best results, make sure the tater tots are spread evenly in a single layer on top.
As an alternative, you could make this in a cast-iron skillet instead of the 9×13 baking dish.
STEP SEVEN: Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 40 minutes or until the tater tots are golden brown and the casserole is bubbly.
STEP EIGHT: Sprinkle the cheese on top of the tater tots.
Return to the oven for three to five additional minutes until the cheese is melted.
STEP NINE: Serve this hearty chicken pot pie immediately.
How To Serve This Tater Tot Pie
Storing This Chicken Tot Pie
This is a great make-ahead meal. You can prepare it and pop it in the freezer before baking. Thaw in the fridge and bake on a busy night.
IN THE FRIDGE: You can store this chicken tater bake covered in the refrigerator for two to three days.
IN THE FREEZER: Cook the chicken pot pie mixture and assemble the casserole up to Step Six.
Freeze for up to three months before thawing in the refrigerator and baking.
This mashup of two classic foods is a hearty and homey recipe that is sure to please. You can assemble this one-pan chicken pot pie with tater tots casserole in minutes and pop it in the oven for a bubbly and cozy meal.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
You can prepare this tater tot chicken pot pie recipe right up to the baking step. Freeze until you are ready to serve it, thaw in the refrigerator, and bake.
You can serve this chicken pot pie tater tot casserole with a salad and warm dinner rolls on the side.
For a thinner crust on top, you can substitute hash browns or even mashed potatoes for the regular tater tots.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Tatertot Casserole
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Bake
- Shepherd’s Pie
- Mexican Casserole
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Chicken Corn Chowder
- Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- Zucchini Mushroom Chicken
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Sticky Sesame Cauliflower
- Cheeseburger Pie
- Cashew Chicken
- KFC Zinger Burger
- Million Dollar Chicken Casserole
- Gnocchi Chicken Pot Pie
- Stuffed Pepper Casserole
Chicken Pot Pie with Tater Tots
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1¼ cups whole milk
- 1 cup chicken broth, or 1 cup water plus 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup peas and carrots, frozen
- 1 cup corn
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and diced
- 32 ounces tater tots, frozen
- 4 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the diced onions and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the flour, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly until the flour mixture begins to brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Slowly stir or whisk the chicken broth and whole milk into the flour mixture. Stir constantly while pouring just a bit at a time to make a smooth mixture.
- Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring constantly to ensure that the milk does not burn on the bottom of the pan, cook until mixture begins to bubble and thicken slightly about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the cream cheese, frozen vegetables, and diced chicken. Stir to mix evenly.
- Spread the pot pie mixture into a 9×13 baking dish. Spread the tater tots evenly over the top.
- Bake approximately 40 minutes or until the tater tots are golden brown and the casserole is bubbly.
- Top with cheese and return to the oven for 3 to 5 additional minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
- For best results, make sure the tater tots are spread evenly in a single layer on top.
- As an alternative, you could make this in a cast-iron skillet instead of the 9×13 baking dish.
- The cream cheese is optional. It provides a little extra creaminess, but the filling is rich and thick enough to set without the cream cheese.