Last updated on
Table of Contents
Combine the best of two comfort foods with this chicken pot pie with tater tots. A creamy sauce, tender chicken and vegetables are topped with a crispy potato crust and finished off with gooey melted cheese for a meal that will be a weeknight winner.
CHICKEN POT PIE WITH TATER TOTS INGREDIENTS
You will need:
- 4 tablespoons of salted butter, melted
- ½ cup of diced yellow onion
- ¼ cup of all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 ¼ cups of whole milk
- 1 cup of chicken broth (or 1 cup water + 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon)
- 2 ounces of cream cheese
- 1 cup of frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup of corn
- 2 cups of diced, cooked chicken
- 32-ounce bag of frozen tater tots
- 4 ounces of grated cheddar cheese
Pro Tip: The cream cheese is optional. It provides a little extra creaminess, but the filling is rich and thick enough to set without the cream cheese.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Potatoes: Yukon gold tater tots seem to work best for this recipe as they bake up to a nice golden brown.
Chicken: Any type of cooked or leftover chicken will work well. Rotisserie chicken, other cooked chicken breasts or thighs or even cooked turkey are excellent choices.
Veggies: This recipe is very flexible as to which vegetables are added to the pot pie mixture. Choose your favorite frozen vegetable medley, add frozen corn to the peas and carrots or even include a few fresh vegetables.
Tater Tots: If you prefer a thinner top than the tater tot crust, you could replace them with a layer of mashed potatoes for a shepherd’s pie type of dish. You could also use hash browns to achieve the same thinner top but with the crispy outer shell. Now you can even get cauliflower or broccoli tots that you could use instead of the traditional version.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CHICKEN POT PIE WITH TATER TOTS RECIPE
STEP ONE: In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the diced onions and saute until the onion is translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes.
STEP TWO: Add the flour, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly until the flour mixture begins to brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.
STEP THREE: Slowly stir or whisk the chicken broth and whole milk into the flour mixture. Stir constantly while pouring just a bit at a time to make a smooth mixture.
STEP FOUR: Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring constantly to ensure that the milk does not burn on the bottom of the pan and cook until the mixture begins to bubble and thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
STEP FIVE: Stir in the cream cheese, frozen vegetables, and diced chicken. Stir to mix evenly.
STEP SIX: Pour chicken mixture into a 9×13 casserole dish. Spread the tater tots evenly over the top.
PRO TIP: For best results, make sure the tater tots are spread evenly in a single layer on top.
PRO TIP: As an alternative, you could make this in a cast-iron skillet instead of the 9×13 baking dish.
STEP SEVEN: Bake in an oven preheated to 425°F for approximately 40 minutes or until the tater tots are golden brown and the casserole is bubbly.
STEP EIGHT: Sprinkle cheese on top of the tater tots and return to the oven for 3 to 5 additional minutes until the cheese is melted.
STEP NINE: Serve this hearty chicken pot pie immediately.
HOW TO SERVE
IN THE FRIDGE: You can store this chicken tater bake covered in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
IN THE FREEZER: Cook the chicken pot pie mixture and assemble the casserole up to Step Six. Freeze for up to 3 months before thawing in the refrigerator and baking.
This mashup of two classic foods is a hearty and homey recipe that is sure to please. You can assemble this one-pan tater tot chicken pot pie casserole in minutes and pop it in the oven for a bubbly and cozy meal.
You can prepare this tater tot chicken pot pie recipe right up to the baking step. Freeze until you are ready to serve it, thaw in the refrigerator, and bake.
You can serve this chicken pot pie tater tot casserole with a salad and warm dinner rolls on the side.
For a thinner crust on top, you can substitute hash browns or even mashed potatoes for the regular tater tots.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Chicken Pot Pie with Tater Tots
- 4 tablespoons salted butter melted
- ½ cup yellow onion diced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup water plus 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup peas and carrots frozen
- 1 cup corn
- 2 cups chicken cooked and diced
- 32 ounces tater tots frozen
- 4 ounces Cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the diced onions and saute until onion is translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the flour, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly until the flour mixture begins to brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Slowly stir or whisk the chicken broth and whole milk into the flour mixture. Stir constantly while pouring just a bit at a time to make a smooth mixture.
- Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring constantly to ensure that the milk does not burn on the bottom of the pan, cook until mixture begins to bubble and thicken slightly about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the cream cheese, frozen vegetables, and diced chicken. Stir to mix evenly.
- Spread the pot pie mixture into a 9×13 baking dish. Spread the tater tots evenly over the top.
- Bake approximately 40 minutes or until the tater tots are golden brown and the casserole is bubbly.
- Top with cheese and return to the oven for 3 to 5 additional minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.